Any one add curtains? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #1

Trailer: Scamp 16
Any one add curtains?

Hi all,

Still working on our 19 build list with a looming May 8 deadline.
Escapes come with blinds but my other half is interested to learn what others have done for curtains?

She made the set we have in our 16 Scamp. But no rods in the escape.

I think that is a good thing as no rivet holes through the shell in the Escape.

Ideas, suggestions?

Cheers,
Bat Dude
Bat Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:02 AM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
IMO, not needed, except maybe for the entry door. The shades work fine.
Old 04-03-2018, 08:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Shades work great. It is one of the features we really like about Escape.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 08:42 AM   #4

Trailer: 2006 17B
We replaced the blinds with block out curtains in our 2006 trailer. Found "rods" that mount to underside of cabinets over the windows. They have sliding clips that hold the handmade curtains. So often campgrounds are bright at night with campers leaving on outside lights. The block out curtains keep the sleeping area of trailer dark. Why do campers (big rvs) put rope lights under their rigs? I never see the people outside......
riverplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:00 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too are just fine with the blinds Escape supplies. They block the view and most of the light.

I have never had an issue with bright light in a campground, most seem to have next to no light at all. Could be I mostly avoid the commercial ones.

A have had a bit light issues when doing a stopover at a Walmart or the like, but have learned to look for a darker spot when stopping there. One of the first times stopping in a store parking lot, I did not pay attention and there was a bright light, and not that the light itself really bothered me, I just close my eyes, but my brain kept telling me it must be morning and wanted to get going.

I want to get going when that sun comes up, so welcome light coming in the trailer then, and raise the blinds.

Either way I would not fret about anything now. You can wait and decide what is best for you after you get the trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
We replaced the blinds with block out curtains in our 2006 trailer. Found "rods" that mount to underside of cabinets over the windows. They have sliding clips that hold the handmade curtains. So often campgrounds are bright at night with campers leaving on outside lights. The block out curtains keep the sleeping area of trailer dark. Why do campers (big rvs) put rope lights under their rigs? I never see the people outside......
First of all, if they are in big RVs, are they really “campers?” Second, the vast majority of them are clueless as to what the camping experience is really all about. They should simply stay at home, but in order to keep up with the Jones’s, they buy a big RV with all the “comforts” of home and do things that irritate their neighbors.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:20 AM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
First of all, if they are in big RVs, are they really “campers?” Second, the vast majority of them are clueless as to what the camping experience is really all about. They should simply stay at home, but in order to keep up with the Jones’s, they buy a big RV with all the “comforts” of home and do things that irritate their neighbors.
I don't find this at all. If you spend any length of time talking to people in these monsters, you may find they're really not much different than most of us... at least as far as their backgrounds. I've had wonderful conversations about 'the good old days' tent camping, car camping etc. with people who no longer wish to 'camp' that way. Their needs/wants and budget tell them they don't have to so they don't. I won't be arrogant that my choice is different from theirs. Who knows, if I had the money I may do the same thing... or not. I honestly don't know.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 09:24 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
To be fair, I know a few folks with big motorhomes that still camp in places where I do a lot of the time, but most do prefer the luxuries offered by many RV parks. Not my style, but it is their money and they are enjoying themselves.

Good friends of ours are like that, and do absolutely nothing to light up the outside of their trailer, preferring things to be dark. The biggest negative for them is they can't go everywhere we do, and cannot as easily tour the continent like we plan to do. And yes, they (especially the wife) does love her comforts of home. At least they do get out, even if they spend a lot of time every day running their businesses remotely.

Here is a photo of use on the desert by Quartzsite a month or so ago. Note how I strategically placed our trailer a ways out in front to have it appear larger.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Hochs and us at Quartzsite.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	30598
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-03-2018, 09:29 AM   #9

I cannot totally disagree with you Donna, but I have been doing this long enough (as you have) to meet both types. But typically the ones who leave lights on all night long are the types I referred to. I have acquaintances with big RVs who are as you describe; I also know some who are in fact clueless. I was really railing about the “inconsiderate” bunch.

And I just camped next to a large motor home lit up like a Christmas tree all night long with kids up and out at 6:00 am carrying on and running across everyone else’s campsites....
Old 04-03-2018, 09:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Who knows, if I had the money I may do the same thing... or not. I honestly don't know.

Now back to your regularly scheduled topic.
I know at least for now I wouldn't. Maybe I would have more luxury, but not much more size.

Yeah, yeah, once again we digress.
Old 04-03-2018, 09:44 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverplace View Post
..... Why do campers (big rvs) put rope lights under their rigs? I never see the people outside......
They do it to help ward off rodents who may chew wiring and can cause extensive & expensive repairs. They like warm and dark places so if you open your hood some and spread out the rope lights underneath it may keep them away.

Harbor Freight sells a solar powered rope LED for under $15.
Old 04-03-2018, 10:32 AM   #12

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
IKEA curtain solution

One possible solution for curtains in an Escape is the VIDGA curtain rail series from IKEA. It is an H-shaped rail that I found easy to install in our Casita.

The price is so reasonable, that we fitted 3 RV windows for about $30.00.

VIDGA has several advantages:
- It can be installed under the cabinets with the optional ceiling bracket
- A side bracket can be attached to one of the window frame screws, if you prefer a side mount. Or, if that bracket extends too far into the room, use a 1-inch L-bracket of your own.
- It is 55 inches wide, and the price can't be beat at $6.99!
- The length is customizable - just use a hacksaw to trim it.
- Several curtain options are available: a flat curtain panel or pleated. If you wish, you can get multiple tracks for sheer and block out on the same rail.
- One can buy clips to hang curtains from below.

Be sure to buy the VIDGA gliders that fit in the bottom part of the rail, if you are installing pleated curtains. $2.99 for 24 gliders. They move very easily, as they are on roller bearings.

I found it here: www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/70299153/
(Photos are from the IKEA website.)

Best of Luck!
David
Attached Thumbnails
Vidga1.JPG   Vidga2.JPG   Vidga3.JPG   Glider with hook.JPG  
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 10:42 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Big Rigs are found everywhere! I do envy the headroom in there.

Rope lights ward off rodents? I'm not buying that. Get Fresh Cab, if you can ever find it in the stores.
Attached Thumbnails
QuartzD1.jpg  
Old 04-03-2018, 11:22 AM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
I've managed to break two of my trailer's shades so far. It's good to see alternatives in case I give up on them.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A
IKEA curtain - installation notes

I have a few photos and tips about installing the IKEA VIDGA curtains in post #12. (IKEA also has downloadable instructions on their website... this post gives a few tips for installation in the window frame and altering the bolts I used.)

When we installed curtains in our prior trailer, a Casita, were uncertain if we would like them - and ended up liking them much more than the blinds that are standard. We only spent about $30 for the hardware, so we weren't out much.

Because of our uncertainty, however, we didn't want to take the time to sew 6 curtain panels. So, instead, we used clips and some fabric for the installation in the first photo. Spent about $8.00 for it, and it worked very well. It is a disadvantage to have the light showing through the top, however, and pleated curtains could be installed in place of what we did.

Note that the bracket that holds the blinds in a Casita is on the bottom of the rail. For the IKEA rail install, the bracket is on the top.

For installation, first the L-brackets were installed in the window frame. Here you see one of the rails on the tabletop to illustrate parts of the construction.

1" long bolts are installed in the top of the rail using supplied parts from IKEA, and the bolts were then inserted through the L-brackets attached to the camper window frame. Nuts were then placed on the bolts. In order to tighten the nuts, note that I sawed a slot in the end of the screw in order to insert a small screwdriver to keep the bolt from turning while tightening.

Add the rolling gliders and the end cap, and the installation is complete.

Best regards,

David
2010 Escape 19
Attached Thumbnails
Curtain clips.JPG   Casita blinds bracket.JPG   Curtain rollers.JPG   Curtain bracket in place.JPG  
DavidGlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:08 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
They do it to help ward off rodents who may chew wiring and can cause extensive & expensive repairs. They like warm and dark places so if you open your hood some and spread out the rope lights underneath it may keep them away.
At Organ Pipe N.M. I was surprised that they told folks to leave their hoods propped open to discourage the fuzzy creatures from camping out in warm engine compartments. Never seen that before.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:21 PM   #17

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Cellular Shades

This is what we put in the trailer. We didn't have ETI install their pull down shades, the valences or the metal stickie-outie thingies on the windows that the strings for the shades attach to. We both like it dark when we sleep and we wanted to replicate that in the trailer. I especially want a good night's sleep when I'm driving down the road the next day.

The company we got them from has a release button built in, which was really nice. I'd been trying to figure out a way for them to stay up while driving (velcro was one idea) and the button keeps them in place. After more than a year using them, I still really like them. We got the cordless, blackout style. Not sure exactly which ones from their website as the one I did look at didn't have all the color choices, but make sure it has the adjustment button on the bottom.

https://www.blindsgalore.com/cellula...tures=cordless

I also put up a double sided curtain I sewed from cat-themed fabric (of course!) in the bathroom as lots of light was coming through there when the door was open at night. The rod is attached with those sticky Command hooks. I take it down when showering.

One could probably put up fabric curtains throughout the trailer using the Command hooks, I'd imagine. You do need some room at the top for removing the pole. Or scrunch in the pole and remove it that way if there wasn't clearance space.

Oh, and if you still need to block out light for sleeping, make sure you cover the window in the door and the Maxx fan. I sewed covers for those as well and adhered them with double back sticky Velcro. Not every place I've stayed at has been dark at night.

Having the blackout shades is really nice when I want to take a nap during a travel day.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05349.jpg   DSC05375.jpg   DSC05334.jpg   DSC05381.jpg   DSC05382.jpg  

NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:24 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I think if you love curtains there are ways to put them up several on the forum have done so. Not sure why this led into a discussion on big rigs and lights many people who favor small trailers also like the homey look of curtains its not only the function but the look they like. I personally love the blinds they work perfectly for me and I'm not a fan of curtains but everyone has different decorating taste/ preferences and that's what makes touring all the trailers so fun for me - I love decorating my trailer!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 12:32 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
I've managed to break two of my trailer's shades so far. It's good to see alternatives in case I give up on them.
How did you do that?
Old 04-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #20

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
How did you do that?
Good question-- I don't know. One of the strings came loose on the rear shade, I'm not sure how. As for the other one, one morning I woke up, reached up to raise the shade on the window by the bed, and broke it. I consider this a personal best-- I broke something before even getting up for the day. I usually don't break something at home before about mid-morning, but it varies.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote