Awning Window Modifications - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-24-2017, 11:49 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Awning Window Modifications

We are so darn close to starting the process of purchasing an Escape 17B, but we are concerned about how little the awning windows open. We love a nice breeze, but the Escape trailers we've looked at - 17A and 19B - their windows open only an inch or two. I did see the posting here on the modification used on the emergency window, but am wondering if there is a modification for the other awning windows that open so little. Anyone know of such a modification or have done a modification on those windows?
MaryK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:27 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I believe they open more than an inch, perhaps 3-4" and with 7 of them open plus the escape window opens further, plenty of air and no worries if it rains.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:38 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
We are so darn close to starting the process of purchasing an Escape 17B, but we are concerned about how little the awning windows open. We love a nice breeze, but the Escape trailers we've looked at - 17A and 19B - their windows open only an inch or two. I did see the posting here on the modification used on the emergency window, but am wondering if there is a modification for the other awning windows that open so little. Anyone know of such a modification or have done a modification on those windows?
Not sure if base model Maxx Fan ETI installs has exhaust mode but the upgrade Maxx Fan model does. You would be able to switch the fan to exhaust mode thus pulling air through any open window much like a whole house fan.
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:51 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 19' 5/02/17
We have had no problem with air circulation. They are open not only on bottom but up the sides . Where you most appreciate a breeze is during rain. These windows allow you to keep them open which doesnt work well with the slides. I had same concern but because of the above no worries.
bsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmoke View Post
We have had no problem with air circulation. They are open not only on bottom but up the sides . Where you most appreciate a breeze is during rain. These windows allow you to keep them open which doesnt work well with the slides. I had same concern but because of the above no worries.
I agree entirely with my Wisconsin compatriot.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 01:32 PM   #6

These are the images I was sent from Escape on how far the windows open. When we looked at the 17A we noticed what the pictures show. Wonder why one opens so little and one opens a little more. If I remember correctly the smaller opening window was the large window on the end of the trailer by the 4 person dinette (had 2 windows that opened) and the larger opening window was on the side of the trailer - can't remember if it was drivers or passenger side.

Understand the rain factor when it comes to sliders vs awning style windows. I'm just having a hard time wrapping my mind around the fact that they open so little.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1140.jpg   IMG_1141.jpg  
Old 09-24-2017, 01:57 PM   #7

Trailer: None now
I measured the openings for someone awhile back.
Here is the link http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post206366
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:15 PM   #8

Only the awning window option have rear windows that open, the sliders have a fixed rear window I believe, another issue with the difference. As far as some windows opening further, only Escape or another 17 owner can verify if all open the same on the 17 model, on the 19 model they do.
Old 09-24-2017, 02:27 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
I measured the openings for someone awhile back.
Here is the link http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...tml#post206366
Thank you!! This is what I needed

If Escape knows people are modifying the emergency window and showing how to do so in Orientation (cloths pin if I'm understanding that correctly) - wonder if they will change the windows in the near future to have awning windows that open more
Old 09-24-2017, 02:33 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryK View Post
Thank you!! This is what I needed

If Escape knows people are modifying the emergency window and showing how to do so in Orientation (cloths pin if I'm understanding that correctly) - wonder if they will change the windows in the near future to have awning windows that open more
I doubt that Escape would condone such modification to a pre manufactured window unit that may impact warranty issues. Hehr windows are a top of the line rv window company. If you are not pleased with them, Lil Snoozy has different windows that open almost 90 degrees, similar to a concession stand trailer if that is the look you are trying to achieve.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:23 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I doubt that Escape would condone such modification to a pre manufactured window unit that may impact warranty issues. Hehr windows are a top of the line rv window company. If you are not pleased with them, Lil Snoozy has different windows that open almost 90 degrees, similar to a concession stand trailer if that is the look you are trying to achieve.
Are you saying Hehr windows only open this far and other brands open larger?

Lil Snoozy was the first trailer we looked at, but we didn't like how the tires bump out on the trailer. We've looked at the Happier Camper and they have awning windows - they open more then the Escape, but we wanted more options and more room. We've looked at so many different trailers - from fiberglass to sticks and fell in love with the Escape. I didn't even think about how far the windows opened till we saw the 17A.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:27 PM   #12

I guess it is a trade off, you try to pick the one that has the most you like for the money. I had a couple look at my 19 yesterday, that had looked at close a dozen other trailers, some a lot nicer and more expensive. I asked them one question when making a decision, which manufacturer will make customizations inside that make your trailer special? I know of only one....that is why I'm here.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:36 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Not sure if base model Maxx Fan ETI installs has exhaust mode but the upgrade Maxx Fan model does. You would be able to switch the fan to exhaust mode thus pulling air through any open window much like a whole house fan.
The stock Maxx Fan supplied by Escape does run in either direction, as well as either variable speed or temperature determined speed modes.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:50 PM   #14

Trailer: Looking for 15b
One of our bedroom windows is that style and the airflow is very restricted compared to a slider on the other wall. It is a real issue on hot summer nights, I wouldn't purchase one again.
Edited to add it is a bedroom window on my house, sorry for any confusion
kootenaigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 05:09 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kootenaigirl View Post
One of our bedroom windows is that style and the airflow is very restricted compared to a slider on the other wall. It is a real issue on hot summer nights, I wouldn't purchase one again.
I assume you are referring to the "escape" window on the street side which can be opened considerably with the attached stick? I'm surprised that the slider has more open space, that is why we always opened the escape window in our trailers, the sliders did not allow as much. In addition with the awning style, the rear windows are now opening, I'm sure between all 4 windows that now open in the rear in any Escape that the airflow is adequate.