Bed area moisture control - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-27-2021, 03:02 PM   #1

Trailer: Hello Hakuna Matata (Escape 19) bye bye Aliner
Bed area moisture control

Hi

Been using the trailer a lot during cold season. I do camp in winter in cold temperature at -18 celsius ou 0 F. One thing that is hard to keep without moisture is the bed area. The lack of air circulation combine with humidity of breading around the bed makes frost or moisture build up. Even with the bed's sheet away from the side, the differential in temperature combine with lack of air mouvement makes it hard to dry the mattress and the area. I do keep the compartment under the bed war with the closet door open

I've put that stuff over the bed board to elevate the mattress and hope to gain minimal air circulation. One thing is sure, it is gonna help the mattress to dry up and be mould free. I've done the same on the bench top.

Will se in the next season how it perform.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1377.JPG   IMG_1376.JPG  
hondasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:24 PM   #2

Trailer: ?
An inexpensive solution to keep the mattress dry is to use a waterproof mattress encasement. Available wherever linens are sold.
Here is an example from Amazon. There are others.

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Beddin...%2C373&sr=8-40
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Use both

The subfloor barrier will help, some, but the mattress cover looks even more positive for moisture protection.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 06:42 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Hypervent---- https://www.mattressinsider.com/matt...revention.html
works for me...
Old 03-28-2021, 06:35 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post
An inexpensive solution to keep the mattress dry is to use a waterproof mattress encasement. Available wherever linens are sold.
Thanks for the idea. I wonder, with the mattress cover, sleeping is it like sleeping in a hospital bed?

If so, in that case, i'll forget it.
Old 03-28-2021, 06:38 AM   #6

I've heard of that but the product that I tried even if more tricky to install was way more cheaper. Will se in the long run the result
Old 03-28-2021, 10:11 AM   #7
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
We noticed that Oliver offers this 'mattress insider' barrier product as one of their options, which I thought was interesting since they are double hulled and we aren't... so glad to hear you like this product, Jim. May have to give this a try since we noticed slight condensation along the outside walls by the bed on a couple of cold mornings recently.

We have and like our mattress cover. We also don't like that 'hospital bed' feel so if you're sensitive to that, too, I found the trick is to avoid the cheap, thick, loud, plastic ones but instead look for one that claims to have a soft, quiet, fabric feel to it. Great to have you back in the saddle again, Jim! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 10:57 AM   #8

Thanks for the tip Bea, for the quality of the bed cover.

But it does not solve the dampness on the bed sheet and quilt.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:03 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
A couple of questions:
  • How difficult would it be to install AirFlow in a 5.0? The mattress seems to be very snugly fitted in the tight space there.
  • We are in a state with a low humidity. We will, of course, travel to higher humidity states a bit, including in the winter. So, I am wondering whether it is something we should be considering. We are generally good at airing the space out. A window in our bedroom has to be open for 1/2-1 hour even if it is 18F outside
Thanks!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavm View Post
A couple of questions:
  • How difficult would it be to install AirFlow in a 5.0? The mattress seems to be very snugly fitted in the tight space there.
  • We are in a state with a low humidity. We will, of course, travel to higher humidity states a bit, including in the winter. So, I am wondering whether it is something we should be considering. We are generally good at airing the space out. A window in our bedroom has to be open for 1/2-1 hour even if it is 18F outside
Thanks!
Dont now about a 5.0 but in the 19 it is also snung fit. A regular pool noodle hardly fit all around.

We to manage humidity without much problem but the mattress area (thickness) is prone to mutch condensation even with the improve insolation from Escape.
Old 03-28-2021, 11:27 AM   #11

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I used the same stuff under our bed and on top of a sheet of foam.
You can see what I did here.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post288620

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 11:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
I used the same stuff under our bed and on top of a sheet of foam.
You can see what I did here.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post288620
How did it help?
Old 03-28-2021, 12:19 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I will add that I also used it behind the headboard, foot boat and side board keeping all cloth and mattress away from the wall.

We are not big time off season rainy heater type people right now so it is hard to say. I figure you can’t go wrong providing an area for moisture to evaporate.

Years ago there were 3 of us that camped on the wet coast in a boler. Every morning I would have to squeegee the inside of the trailer windows so we could see out. If we get to that point I will let you know.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:23 PM   #14

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdColorado View Post

https://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Beddin...%2C373&sr=8-40

Is this the one your using? I want to get one but the reviews on this seem to be all over the place.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 05:28 PM   #15

Trailer: Surveyor 19T / Escape 21 NE for Dec. 2021
Another potential solution to bed-wetting

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondasaurus View Post
Thanks for the tip Bea, for the quality of the bed cover.

But it does not solve the dampness on the bed sheet and quilt.
We are taking delivery on a 5.0 in the next week but with our existing trailer (and cruising boats before that) we generally start early in the season and go late before we close up for the winter here in Ontario.

During the cool shoulder seasons, we've had an ongoing problem of condensation accumulating where the mattress touches the wall.

We're installing a Froli system for under the mattress on the 5.0 but that won't do anything about the side.

Today it occurred to me that a cheap and effective solution might be to use pool noodles as spacers between the mattress and walls, bit staggered holes through the pool noodles to facilitate air flow. (See attached image.)

The idea looks good in theory, but has anyone actually tried pool noodles with holes, and if so, how did it work?
Attached Thumbnails
Mould buffer.jpg  
Treat Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We put a Z rest pad against the rear wall. Wife is happy as that is her side of the bed and we have had no moisture problems with the mattress in 4 winter seasons with temps frequently below zero F.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2021, 06:24 PM   #17
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
In the 5.0TA, the only place you might need some air space, since you have the Froli system, is at the head of the bed. There's 8-12 inches on each side of the mattress...it doesn't touch the outside walls. IF you DON'T have two twins or a king and DO have the cubbies.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2021, 07:48 AM   #18

I added a layer of reflectix on the exterior walls, seemed to help...
Old 04-05-2021, 07:34 PM   #19

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Jim,
I'm planning to order enough of this hypervent material for my queen bed in the 5TA when we're next in the USA. Don't know why but up here there are a couple of places that you can order from online but they end up costing between $219 and $229 CDN for 76X60" whereas the link you provide sells a queen size piece for $99USD (which translates to about $130 CDN) so I'll wait.

Last year we ended up camping in central Texas at San Saba for 2 weeks and there were many nights when it dropped a couple degrees below zero to 10 degrees below zero; on those nights we would wake up with a lot of moisture up in the loft area particularly between the mattress and the front wall; it was pretty bad.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2021, 06:53 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Jim,
I'm planning to order enough of this hypervent material for my queen bed in the 5TA when we're next in the USA. Don't know why but up here there are a couple of places that you can order from online but they end up costing between $219 and $229 CDN for 76X60" whereas the link you provide sells a queen size piece for $99USD (which translates to about $130 CDN) so I'll wait.

Last year we ended up camping in central Texas at San Saba for 2 weeks and there were many nights when it dropped a couple degrees below zero to 10 degrees below zero; on those nights we would wake up with a lot of moisture up in the loft area particularly between the mattress and the front wall; it was pretty bad.
Maybe a US customer would help and then bring the item to a rally, like Niagara later in the year?