Best 12v drop for exterior LED light strip? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-28-2016, 08:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Question Best 12v drop for exterior LED light strip?

Hi all

Best 12v drop location for exterior LED light strip?

2017 21'

I know it will be over kitchen (?)

Above stove?

Above sink?

Or above passenger dinette?

Thx.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 08:03 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Above sink and above the stove are the same in a 21, it is one large cabinet with 2 doors, over the dinette would not help, too far in back. I'd pick one. You can always splice or add wire if you change your mind.
Old 08-28-2016, 08:55 PM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Exterior light strip? I'm confused..........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2016, 09:00 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I apologize, I thought it was for an exterior light. Okay, in BlackJack I installed a led light strip under the awning, see here post #164 http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...k-3134-17.html
I installed my switch over the curb side dinette, but in retrospect over the kitchen closest to the door will allow you to stick your head out and observe the light.
Old 08-28-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Exterior light strip? I'm confused..........
Under the awning

Exterior LED light strip. A long one

Like the $170 CAD ETI one

Except a 3rd party one that will do red (keeps night vision) or orange (fewer bugs, some places)

In addition to white.

Old 08-28-2016, 10:15 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Put a drop in the rear passenger side overhead cabinet. That's where the wiring for the LED strip will enter the trailer. Did that on my 19, and it worked out well. Plus, I have an RGBW strip and an RF remote with a total cost of less than $40.

Just make sure your LED strip is waterproof. The hole for the wiring to enter the shell only needs to be 1/8", and a dab of Proflex or Lexel is all that's required to seal it.

Lastly, I recommend a controller/remote that's RF and not IR. You'll be able to control the lighting from a longer distance, and there's no need to point it at a sensor.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:31 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace installed an LED strip light under the awning of a trailer he brought to the rally. He'd probably know where to put a drop.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:43 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Reace installed an LED strip light under the awning of a trailer he brought to the rally. He'd probably know where to put a drop.
While the factory strip is a little different from the ones installed by owners afterwards, the entry point to the interior is the same -- passenger side rear. If the OP wants to install one on their own, that's the logical place. But, you could also run it the other direction and have the wiring enter the overhead cabinet at the front. There are really only two possible entry points for this.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:50 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
While the factory strip is a little different from the ones installed by owners afterwards, the entry point to the interior is the same -- passenger side rear. If the OP wants to install one on their own, that's the logical place. But, you could also run it the other direction and have the wiring enter the overhead cabinet at the front. There are really only two possible entry points for this.
on a 21' the bathroom is passenger side front, so i guess passenger overhead cabinet rear is best for a 12v drop for external light LED strip.

thanks

and

i'm assuming that if i ever wanted 12v above the sink, i could easily drill a small hole from passenger overhead cabinet rear and then run a wire up to the cabinet above sink? (passenger side middle-ish)

thanks.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:56 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Losangeles View Post
on a 21' the bathroom is passenger side front, so i guess passenger overhead cabinet rear is best for a 12v drop for external light LED strip.

thanks

and

i'm assuming that if i ever wanted 12v above the sink, i could easily drill a small hole from passenger overhead cabinet rear and then run a wire up to the cabinet above sink? (passenger side middle-ish)

thanks.
Yeah, forgot about the bath location. Rear passenger side overhead then, just like all the ones I've seen, including mine.

As for 12v over the sink, my advice is to have Escape add drops where you think you'll need them eventually. Much easier than a DIY later, and a nominal cost.
Old 08-29-2016, 12:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Option for 17's and maybe others:
I discussed this with Reace prior to our acquisition of our 17, as I wanted to control the LED light strip using the porch light switch. He suggested that, if I remove the top frig. vent grille, that will give me a hand hole to reach in and run wiring from the porch light up and through the trailer body to an appropriate spot for a hole through the body to the LED strip.
Keep in mind that the typical LED strips are constructed in 5 meter (16') strips in 2 inch repeating increments, so every 2 inches is a pair of solder pads, one "+" and one "-". You can power the whole strip from any of those solder pads.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Keep in mind that the typical LED strips are constructed in 5 meter (16') strips in 2 inch repeating increments, so every 2 inches is a pair of solder pads, one "+" and one "-". You can power the whole strip from any of those solder pads.
That depends. Yes, you can "power" most LED strips from any of the cut points, but that doesn't mean you can "control" them. If your LED is standard white only, that might work. If it's an RGBW or RGBWW strip, then no. To control such a strip, you'd need additional connection points for the RGB and W - not just 12V+ and 12V-. Also, if you install a waterproof outdoor grade strip, it's encased entirely in a clear plastic material. You'd have to remove that waterproofing plastic to get to the solder points.

One of the main reasons I went with installing one after market rather than having Escape do it was that I wanted a strip that had colors besides white. Tuning it to red, orange or deep yellow means no bugs collecting under the awning. On the gulf coast last year during the Matagorda Rally, I initially turned it to white. Within 5 minutes there were thousands of bugs huddling on or near the strip. Tuned it to orange or red the next evening and there were no bugs - not one.

Besides, It kind of looks cool with different colors at different times.