Best Mod - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-10-2020, 07:25 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Best Mod

Sometimes the effect of a mod isn't all that great but one mod that I've done on the 21 seems to have been very worth doing.

The front window, which I would never omit, just getting that out there before some folks say that they'd never have because they can't sit up in bed and read , is single glazed.

Since it's located so close to a source of warm moist air, namely human breath emanating directly below it, it's a prime candidate for condensation.

So I had some 1/8" lexan kicking around, plexiglass would do the same job, I made a simple 3/4"x3/4" frame, friction fit, and screwed the lexan to it. The curved corners have a neoprene gasket. I consider it an inside storm window, not a double glazed unit and I expected some condensation. Since it just pulls off that wouldn't be an issue.

Our last trip was a "hot springs circuit" through the Kootenays and the Rockies. It was getting a little on the cool side and one rainy morning we woke up to the double grazed rear window heavily coated with condensation while the front window only had very minor condensation.

Since the rear window is non-opening it looks like a likely candidate for for storm window treatment. I've already done the single glazed door window.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0020_resize.JPG   IMGP0024 (2)_resize.JPG   P9160257_resize.JPG   P9160258_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 08:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Nice! I'm gonna file this away for a future mod.

I'm curious, why do folks say you can't sit up and read with the window there? Unless I'm missing something, it seems like it's just a pillow "mod" that is needed, not worth forgoing a nice window for...
TahoeJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 09:18 PM   #3

Beats me, a couple of times we've sat up and watched TV.

They also say that they don't want to give up their shelf. I made two cubbies that hold the little items that are bed related. Best of both worlds.

Ron
Old 10-11-2020, 12:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Beats me, a couple of times we've sat up and watched TV.

They also say that they don't want to give up their shelf. I made two cubbies that hold the little items that are bed related. Best of both worlds.

Ron
Love the cubbies Ron and brings those lights down . Since that is what I did to those lamps almost never use the pancake light there . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:17 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Ron, are your windows thermal or single glaze in the rear?
Old 10-11-2020, 05:50 AM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Nice mod Ron. My approach to condensation is related to a strong dislike of feeling “clammy” when inside. I carry a small Peltier dehumidifier in the Escape. While it takes up space in the wardrobe closet and shares the floor space of the closet with my coffee maker (stored in a waste basket not used for waste and topped with a smaller plastic/vinyl container that fits perfectly in the top and contains the coffee accessories such as the hand grinder) I wouldn’t be without it. I like the RH around 50%, and that is where it stays when the dehumidifier is running. I generally set it under the front of the dinette, pretty much out of the way. I have never had condensation form on the windows or behind cushions even in temperatures slightly above or slightly below freezing. So while it cannot be classified as a mod, I would say that for me, the dehumidifier is the best addition. No wait, second best. If I don’t get my morning coffee I am even more unhappy than if I can feel/sense increased humidity.

But nice job and good thinking on the “interior storm windows!”
Old 10-11-2020, 07:46 AM   #7

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I have not gone thru a Winter yet, so I should say that first.

We have plug in de humidifiers (they stay plugged into the wall outlet) as well as the 120v kind that collect water and keep running. We never have used them or even thought about taking the wrapping off.

The humidity was down to 15% two days ago. We leave our windows (thermal) open in every rain storm along with the Maxfann and even if we have condensation where we breathe, it is gone as soon as we get up. The West is dry. Current humidity:26%.

When we get storms the humidity obviously goes up to 100% so there are times when it matters, but that is during a storm or right afterwards. We keep the de humidifiers above the dinette, still in the wrappers.

I am going to buy a pool noodle and place it behind the bed, but that's it (for now).
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 01:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Ron, are your windows thermal or single glaze in the rear?
My windows are double glazed but that doesn't mean all of them. The door window, front and bathroom windows are all single glazed whether you order double glazed or not.

The double glazed windows are not nearly as effective as the typical home window. Among other things they have a much larger air gap and other features like argon filling.

Still worth having though, something is better than nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
We have plug in de humidifiers (they stay plugged into the wall outlet) as well as the 120v kind that collect water and keep running. We never have used them or even thought about taking the wrapping off.
I'm typically almost never plugged into power. If I was I'd be using my built-in electric heater and the interior would be warm and toasty and condensation free. And that cube heater on the floor, used before the built-in heater was completed would be back in the storage room.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0010_resize.jpg   IMGP0013_resize.JPG   IMGP0015_resize.jpg