Blackout curtains - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-16-2016, 06:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Blackout curtains

The factory shades in our 21 are very light and don't block ambient or park lighting very well for sleeping so my wife made some blackout curtains. They work very well to keep the trailer dark for sleeping. If you want to make a set for yourself see the steps below.

Material list
light blocking fabric, measure as required
1 1/2 wide X 1/8 thick steel bar, available in 36 inch lengths at Home Depot for $6.40
7/8 inch wide X 1 7/8 long X 3/8 thick magnets item # 07044 at Home Depot for $2.98/pair
1 inch long ring shank panelboard nails available at Home Depot (comes in a pack)
Permatex rust treatment, available at NAPA auto supply

1) unscrew and remove the window valances, save screws.
2) measure the valance length and window height and buy light blocking fabric, include excess for hems and magnet pockets.
3) cut the steel bar into 1 X 2 plates, photo 1. Two for each valance.
4) drill and countersink 2 nail holes in steel plates, file edges smooth, photo 1.
5) clean/degrease then coat the steel with permatex rust treatment, this prevents the steel from rusting.
Step 6 & 7 are done together. Pilot one hole and nail, then pilot the second hole and nail.
6) use the drilled plate to locate and drill 1/16 pilot holes 1 inch deep in the valance ends to prevent splitting the wood.
7) nail the steel plates to the valance ends, photo 2.
8) measure the fabric allowing for the hem and magnet pockets and cut to size. Note the magnet pockets are on the back side.
9) sew hems and pockets, make the pockets tight so the magnets won't slip out, photos 4 and 5. Practice on a piece of scrap first.
10) reattach valances with screws.
11) now it's ready to attach the curtain to the valance.

If the magnet pockets are too difficult to sew an alternate process may be to make magnet pockets separately and then sew them onto the curtain after hemming. Velcro might work but I think the magnets are easier to use. I had a couple more photos but could only attach 4.
Attached Thumbnails
1 STEEL PLATE.jpg   2 PLATE NAILED TO VALENCE.jpg   4 HEM AND MAGNET POCKET.jpg   5 HEM AND MAGNET POCKETS.jpg  
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2016, 07:29 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I cut some Reflectix to fit the windows, install when needed.
Old 12-16-2016, 09:58 PM   #3

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by bailiej757 View Post
(snip) Velcro might work but I think the magnets are easier to use. I had a couple more photos but could only attach 4.
Great idea with the magnets. I agree the blinds don't block much light, so we decided to order cellular shades (blackout style) that should be arriving next week. Yay!

Actually you can attach more than 4 photos at a time. Took me quite some time to figure it out, though. After you upload the initial 4 photos, just click on the "browse" for more photos - same as you did for the first 4 photos.

I'd love to see the final product on the wall. Thanks for sharing.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
blackout curtain on valance

Here's 3 photos of curtains on the valances. The curtains fold up nicely for storage as you can see on the table.
Attached Thumbnails
curtain rear.jpg   curtain left side.jpg   6 VALANCE ATTACHED END VIEW.jpg  
bailiej757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Very nice work.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curtains, darken, shades