Bluetooth speaker - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2021, 10:49 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Bluetooth speaker

Looking for some feedback on Bluetooth speakers. My trailer has no sound system and am thinking of a decent Bluetooth speaker. I know nothing about these units. I would use it inside and out from my phone and maybe inside for a movie off my wife's i pod or maybe labtop. a little searching shows prices from 20-400. of course I don't want to be spend more than needed,But don't want junk either.What do you use?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:10 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've got Ultimate Ears and I have JBL. Both are good, but my ears are not that good. Recent discussion pointed out that some allow you to pair with more than one speaker. Unfortunately I cannot pair the UE and JBL at the same time, and wish I could.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I have a JBL Extreme 2 I bought for my small sailboat. It’s decent. I was going to put a nice stereo in the trailer, and eventually may, but the truck has radio, and I’m okay with TV speakers for the rare TV or movie. So for now, I’lll just throw this in since I haven’t figured out how to be on he boat and in the trailer at the same time. I don’t know what it cost, but it wasn’t cheap. Audio is pretty important to me, so it may be more than you want.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:56 AM   #4

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
I just bought a Sony SRS-XB32 extra bass. It is connected to my android whats-it. Seems to work fine. It'll also allow for extra speaker pairing, and direct connections. The battery is supposed to be good for 24 hours.
Plus it'll answer my phone. Not sure about that.
I didn't care about the extra bass but it's there anyways.
$100 at Costco Canada.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:19 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
We have two UE Mega Booms, with an app on your phone you can link them for stereo. They have great sound for their size and quite good bass.

We use them for our car stereo as they sound better than the stereo in either our Tundra or Subaru and also because both cars are old and don't have bluetooth and we don't like dealing with CDs in the car. Also when ever connected to your phone they work as a speaker phone.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:23 PM   #6

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have the Bose Mini II SE Sound Link. Paid $150 new for it.

Amazing sound AND battery life. I charged it to full Friday night and I played it most of the daytime Saturday & Sunday (6+ hours each day) and I still have 50% battery remaining.

Small (fits in pocket), sounds amazing with great bass & clear voice and incredible battery life.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:47 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I've ordered this one and use it quite a bit in the trailer. Excellent sound for such a small thing.
https://amzn.to/3q5GMZV
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:23 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 5.0
I like using this one, because it has an a great radio as well, so for me it's a one-stop shop: radio for NPR and other local stations, Bluetooth for everything else. They even have different colors to match your interior:
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...Bluetooth.html
Old 03-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I have the Ultimate Ears Boom 3 and love it for sound and size. Works great in the trailer set away from where we are for music or video sound. Nice outside too, and waterproof. As mentioned, will pair with another Boom of any age to produce stereo sound.

I previously had the Boom 2 until stolen.

I did a ton of research before getting this particular speaker, and very happy with the results.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0 TA "Sea'scape"
If you boondock a lot, be sure to get a speaker that doesn't require an AC charger. Many of the portable Bluetooth speakers will charge from your trailer's 12 volt DC or USB outlets.
Hawkeye Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 06:37 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye Ed View Post
If you boondock a lot, be sure to get a speaker that doesn't require an AC charger. Many of the portable Bluetooth speakers will charge from your trailer's 12 volt DC or USB outlets.
I've only owned three in all, and they all used USB charging. Something to be certain of though, for sure. Ours gets plugged in after use all the time, and we rarely have AC.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 07:07 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 19'
I have the oontz angle & am very satisfied.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:41 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21C 2020
I bought a pair of Bose Revolve speakers as they allow for making a stereo pair via Bluetooth. They are small, portable, weather resistant and sound great.

https://www.bose.com/en_us/products/...e_triple_black
AKRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:17 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
This is as diverse as the brands and types of Coffee people drink.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:27 PM   #15

Yep. I don’t drink coffee, but have strong opinions on audio since it’s what I do. In general, I don’t like bluetooth because of what you get in audio quality, but I do have the previously mentioned JBL Extreme 2, and a bluetooth transmitter in the barn because I understand the convenience.
Old 03-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 "Escape Pod" (November 30 2018)
We have used the UE Boom 2 for the past 5 years or so and love it! While the Boom2 still works flawlessly, we purchased a UE MegaBoom 3 on Boxing Day and love the upgrade in the sound quality and extra bass. They are waterproof (submersible), charge with a USB off the 12 volt system, and the charge lasts for days! Cannot recommend these enough!
GoCampBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 02:47 PM   #17

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
Yep. I don’t drink coffee, but have strong opinions on audio since it’s what I do. In general, I don’t like bluetooth because of what you get in audio quality, but I do have the previously mentioned JBL Extreme 2, and a bluetooth transmitter in the barn because I understand the convenience.

no coffee for me either. I thought I was the only one.

Looking over these units and some of the better ones . It a looks Like you need to of them to get stereo. I starting to think maybe i be better off installing a cheaper pioneer car stereo. looks like it could Be done for under $200. Do you think i have better sound this way? even if i dint get a expensive unit . I also have the benefit of local radio
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 03:24 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
no coffee for me either. I thought I was the only one.

Looking over these units and some of the better ones . It a looks Like you need to of them to get stereo. I starting to think maybe i be better off installing a cheaper pioneer car stereo. looks like it could Be done for under $200. Do you think i have better sound this way? even if i dint get a expensive unit . I also have the benefit of local radio
If you check the coffee brewing thread, I got a rise for not drinking coffee! All in good fun.

Stereo v blutooth: Portable vs permanent. The basic Pioneer will be okay, but the speakers you use with it will matter more for what you hear. Many stores carry car speakers and portable speakers. The best speaker for you is the one you like. If you could listen to some, that would be much more helpful than a forum. If you can’t, you have to go off reviews that describe the sound, but those are usually all over the place. It typically comes brown to a preference for clearer midrange, or more bass. In low cost speakers, it’s hard to do both.

Stereo: around the picnic table, or sitting in an Escape, it ill be hard to get genuine stereo due to speaker vs listener position. There are some ways to broaden the stereo field that for small consumer products usually do as much harm as good, but some people like the effect. My JBL is stereo in the sense it has two sets of drivers, but they are so close together that’s a wash.

You may find a single speaker ends up sounding best per dollar. For the Pioneer route, I would suggest based on money, you listen to 6” or 6 1/2” two-way speakers.

The desired volume you would like also factors in as well as what features (radio, bass boost, run time, sources other than blutooth etc) you might like.

I really hope you can listen to a few options. In the end, that, and sticking with reliable brands, will get the best for your needs.

I do know for around $130 you could get a radio and speakers plus install cost, but I have not listened to value priced consumer audio beyond phone, computers etc in a really long time. When I need something like that to reference, I use my car, JBL, laptop, phone etc.

Also right now, a lot of stuff is out of stock so your timeline may become the deciding factor.

Hope that helps. Ultimately, you have to hear it.
Old 03-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Looking for some feedback on Bluetooth speakers. My trailer has no sound system and am thinking of a decent Bluetooth speaker. I know nothing about these units. I would use it inside and out from my phone and maybe inside for a movie off my wife's i pod or maybe labtop. a little searching shows prices from 20-400. of course I don't want to be spend more than needed,But don't want junk either.What do you use?
We have the Ultimate Ears Megaboom and really like it. Amazing sound and battery life. USB charging is a plus. We added a Bluetooth transmitter to the TV that works great. The Megaboom is kept on the dinette when we are watching TV, and that allows us to hear it when the air conditioning is on. It is also nice to take outside for cocktail hour.
Hancock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2021, 06:04 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
I use a Bose Sound Link in my garage. While it has very good sound, when I’m working in the garage, how much do I really care if the sound quality scores 100 on a scale of 1 to 100. Honestly, I don’t. I stream music from my phone to the Bose. Seriously, it’s a garage, not a concert hall and I’m not listening with concert hall quality in mind, and I really don’t care if it is stereo or not. It still beats the hell out of the AM radios I listened to when I first started driving, many, many years ago.

And when I am camping, I use relatively high-end Bose noise cancelling headphones. They also connect via Bluetooth, and the noise from them never annoys my camping neighbors. They are great for an early riser like me. I can drink coffee and read the news or a book hearing only what is being streamed. It eliminates any and all annoying background noises, if you can read between the lines. IMO, good headphones are the best way to listen to anything acoustic. I do have a low-end Anker Bluetooth speaker in the trailer, but it is rarely used.