Body Lift on a E17B. Worth it? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-25-2021, 03:44 PM   #1
GD#

Trailer: E17B
Body Lift on a E17B. Worth it?

I am not a four wheeler. I drive on the grass and gravel roads here and there. As I plan my trailer I am questioning the body lift. Anyone not get it and regret that decision? My understanding is that the 17B is a little lower to the ground.

I own a 2020 Ford Ranger
GD# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:47 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by GD# View Post
I am not a four wheeler. I drive on the grass and gravel roads here and there. As I plan my trailer I am questioning the body lift. Anyone not get it and regret that decision? My understanding is that the 17B is a little lower to the ground.
I maybe wrong but the lift kit is more of a necessity because of TV heights rather than clearance on roads and boondocking. Keep in mind, lift kit doesn't change the height/ground clearance of axles.... I will have it on my build sheet because of 57" rail height of truck with 5.0. Not sure why you would need on a bumper pull trailer. Tank clearance would be an inch or so higher.
Old 09-25-2021, 04:49 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
I maybe wrong but the lift kit is more of a necessity because of TV heights rather than clearance on roads and boondocking.
Quote:
... I will have it on my build sheet because of 57" rail height of truck with 5.0. Not sure why you would need on a bumper pull trailer.
Yes, the most common reason to add the lift is for clearance of the 5.0 trailer frame over the sides of the pickup truck... but the original reason for these lifts was road clearance.

Quote:
Keep in mind, lift kit doesn't change the height/ground clearance of axles...
Clearance under the axle assembly crossmembers is rarely an issue - that's not what the lift is used for. Raising the trailer improves clearance under the ends over bumps or in dips or starting up slopes, and for low-hanging parts.

Quote:
Tank clearance would be an inch or so higher.
The tanks and everything else other than the axle assemblies go up by the height of the lift spacer, which is 2.625 inches.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:30 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Yes, the most common reason to add the lift is for clearance of the 5.0 trailer frame over the sides of the pickup truck... but the original reason for these lifts was road clearance.

Clearance under the axle assembly crossmembers is rarely an issue - that's not what the lift is used for. Raising the trailer improves clearance under the ends over bumps or in dips or starting up slopes, and for low-hanging parts.

The tanks and everything else other than the axle assemblies go up by the height of the lift spacer, which is 2.625 inches.
I stand corrected.. Thank you for that. I did think the lift kit was a bit under 2" though
Old 09-25-2021, 05:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I did think the lift kit was a bit under 2" though
It has changed over the years, and previous versions were not as tall. The current version is the standard kit from Dexter, which is a 2-5/8" tall spacer (a C-channel with gussets) plus a pile of bolts.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 05:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
It has changed over the years, and previous versions were not as tall. The current version is the standard kit from Dexter, which is a 2-5/8" tall spacer (a C-channel with gussets) plus a pile of bolts.
Thank you for that Mr Brian.. I stand corrected...again!
Old 09-25-2021, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The lift kit on a 17B will raise the trailer and reduce fuel efficiency ( pontoon boats don't help, in this pic ). I have the lift, but I was planning on getting a Tacoma as a tow vehicle. Wife nixed that and I ended up with a RAV4. I'd not bother with the lift.
Attached Thumbnails
Rock pile.jpg  

Tags
body lift