Boondocker Retrofit for WFCO converter - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-04-2018, 08:14 PM   #101

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Installing the 4600 Remote

For those who installed the Wildcat. How long is the cable from the converter to the 4600 Remote? And where did you install the 4600 Remote?
Old 02-04-2018, 08:31 PM   #102
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
just skimmed and skipped through this thread, and let me throw MY two bits in.

the Parallax crummy converter in my 2008 Casita died, so I replaced with a PD4645, a more or less bolt in job. The PD4645 can be set for different battery types, and only does the 4th stage 'equalization' thing on wet cells.

seems to work well enough, BUT... my Casita has all LED lamps inside (my own upgrade), and if I turn on 1 LED light when the Casita is plugged in and the battery is fully charged, the converter makes this kind of buzzy whistle, fairly high frequency. Turn on a 2nd light, the pitch changes. turn on a 3rd and it stops. it also buzzes when the battery is 80% or 90% charged.

I contacted PD about this, apparently its a known problem, and they are working on a fix. The said when they have an engineering fix in production they'll swap problematic converters.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2018, 10:31 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
For those who installed the Wildcat. How long is the cable from the converter to the 4600 Remote? And where did you install the 4600 Remote?
I can't remember exactly. At least 4'. I talked to Best converter and they gave me the length. I mounted it right on front of the panel and the door closed right over it. I have not had any issues. The propane alarm does tend to go off when it is in boost mode.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2018, 01:56 PM   #104

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Installed Best Converter Upgrade for the WFCO 8955 today. For now I installed the remote pendant inside the power center door. One less visible blinking light at night.

Can always move/mount differently if needed. Since instructions state you can manually change the different charge modes, but not recommended. I mounted it here for now.

PD4655MBA WildKat 55 Amp Main Board Assembly for WFCO 8955 or Parallax 7155 (Includes 4600 Remote)

First picture is before with original WFCO converter, 2nd picture with the PD4655 WildKat converter installed and 3rd picture showing where I mounted the remote pendant.

Hardest part of this upgrade was deciding where to locate the remote pendant.
Attached Thumbnails
1_Before Upgrade_DSC_2060.jpg   2_After_DSC_2061.jpg   3_Pendant_DSC_2063.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:57 PM   #105

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Pd4555l

Reviving this year and half old thread. I received the PD4655L Wildkat today and finished installing it a little while ago. This model with the L designation is the newer model and on the bestconverter.com product page it says it includes a jumper for charging Lithium-ion batteries. See the LI pin circled in the first picture below.

When I placed my online order late at night I initially bought the PD4655 not knowing about the newer PD4655L. Randy called me the next morning just to inform me there is this newer model now. Really great service as others mentioned here.

Following the installation tips from you guys my install was straightforward. The tip about loosening the DC board to route the two DC cables from behind made it such a breeze! And I also installed the remote on the panel face. Thank you all for your comments here they made my install quick and easy.

P.S. Just noticed that in my post title I used upper case for all three letters but the forum would only show the first in upper case. Is there a way to make them all in upper case?
Attached Thumbnails
MVIMG_20200116_145750a.jpg   MVIMG_20200116_171621.jpg  
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 08:01 PM   #106

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
Reviving this year and half old thread. I received the PD4655L Wildkat today and finished installing it a little while ago. This model with the L designation is the newer model and on the bestconverter.com product page it says it includes a jumper for charging Lithium-ion batteries. See the LI pin circled in the first picture below.

When I placed my online order late at night I initially bought the PD4655 not knowing about the newer PD4655L. Randy called me the next morning just to inform me there is this newer model now. Really great service as others mentioned here.

Following the installation tips from you guys my install was straightforward. The tip about loosening the DC board to route the two DC cables from behind made it such a breeze! And I also installed the remote on the panel face. Thank you all for your comments here they made my install quick and easy.
Jake: Nice work. I assume you checked that the depth of where the pendant is attached is enough to avoid the door from depressing the button when closed?
Old 01-16-2020, 10:06 PM   #107

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Jake: Nice work. I assume you checked that the depth of where the pendant is attached is enough to avoid the door from depressing the button when closed?
Dave, good that you asked. I just went to my trailer and did a button and front cover back surface contact test. I dabbed a bit dry starch powder on the small button and rubbed a drop of water on the back of the front cover where it would close against the button. After closing and opening that cover spot did pick up a bit of starch powder but the charge mode didn't change (stabilizing mode ? with green light blinking once every five seconds).

Still that's a bit too close for comfort because when the trailer is on the road the cover could shake quite a bit more and for hours. So I cut two small strips of medium firm weather stripping (3/16" thick) and placed them vertically on both sides of the button so they stick out toward the front cover about 1/8" more than the button itself. I did the starch contact test again and no starch got on the back of the front cover this time.
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:04 AM   #108

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
May as well drill a hole in the panel door where the green light is, gives you a visual confirmation.
Old 01-18-2020, 12:06 PM   #109

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Want to add the PD 4655L Wildkat to the WFCO 8955 but at a standstill assessing overall cost. Unfortunately for me living in Canada the $ conversion takes a toll. When I got to shipping using cheapest form provided, USPS Priority Post, it amounts to over $80 Can and this is not counting duty, etc.!! Has any Canadian owners ordered the Wildkat recently so I can get an idea of landed costs??
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote