Build Questions - Plywood, Surge Protection & Bathroom Vent - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2016, 12:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B/2021 F150 w/ 3.5 Ecoboost
Build Questions - Plywood, Surge Protection & Bathroom Vent

Hi all,
I am working through the build sheet for my 17B that is due mid-December. Came across a few questions that I can't find answers to on the forum. If these questions have been answered before feel free to point me in the right direction. Many thanks for your input.

>Has anyone added the reinforced plywood walls to their build? I am thinking of reinforcing the wall between the kitchen and bathroom for a spice rack or that sort of thing.

>If I am getting an opening bathroom window....is it really necessary to have the bathroom vent in the ceiling also? My thinking is it's just one less hole in the roof to leak if it's not there.

>Surge protection....I am not getting the microwave or an AC unit. A majority of my trailer use will be in boondocking situations so I thought a portable surge protector would suffice. Or should I bite the bullet and spend the $$$ on the Escape installed one so I can forget about it for the few times I plug in?
Old 10-10-2016, 12:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
It depends how much weight you plan to put on your spice rack. Note that spices are supposed to be stored in a cool, dark place if you want to keep them fresh. Have to admit, I've got a spice cupboard on the wall above my stove at home. I use that space in the trailer for magnetic knife storage. My wall is not reinforced, but I used double sided tape. The screws don't do much beyond filling the holes in the knife rack.
That "oak" wall is about 1/8" thick and behind that is the shower wall.

I don't have surge protection. My understanding is that it will prevent damage to A/C in the event of low voltage from a campground source. I avoid commercial campgrounds, preferring to camp without services or close neighbours and I don't have A/C.
Attached Thumbnails
knife holder.jpg  
Old 10-10-2016, 06:19 AM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
>Has anyone added the reinforced plywood walls to their build? I am thinking of reinforcing the wall between the kitchen and bathroom for a spice rack or that sort of thing.

Yes, I had multiple walls reinforced. Never know what I may want to hang in the future. In my last trrailer the walls were even thinner then the Escape. Used toggle bolts for such, so reinforcing is not the only way to go.

>If I am getting an opening bathroom window....is it really necessary to have the bathroom vent in the ceiling also? My thinking is it's just one less hole in the roof to leak if it's not there.

A powered vent is necessary for me. Just having the window open doesn't mean the humidity from the shower or the smell from the toilet is going to go outside.

>Surge protection....I am not getting the microwave or an AC unit. A majority of my trailer use will be in boondocking situations so I thought a portable surge protector would suffice. Or should I bite the bullet and spend the $$$ on the Escape installed one so I can forget about it for the few times I plug in?

Your choice, I imagine both do the job but then I don't know much about the portable ones. I like the digital readout for when there are issues, and the simplicity, it's always in line, I don't have to do anything. But that's just me.
See answers in red
Old 10-10-2016, 07:31 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Surge protection is like insurance, if you have insurance on your trailer then you may want to have the surge protection, the amount is probably less than your deductible. The vent in the bath is stock and built into the mold whereas the window is an option and cut afterwards. Your choice on reinforcing walls, if it makes you feel better then do it.Just remember there maybe 2 sides to that wall.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:14 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Yes, the surge protector is like insurance...expensive insurance when all options are added. But as you said, you will boondock most of the time and have no AC or microwave so the risk is extremely low (plus you have a portable one if needed for a specific appliance if you are hooked up). If you have a low tolerance for risk, by all means, get the surge protector. I mostly boondock, have no AC, have no microwave and wouldn't even consider it.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Different angle on the built in surge protection. Noticed a camper with the portable type here in the campground we're at. Has it locked to the pedistal, so I guess theft 8s something to consider.
Old 10-10-2016, 04:04 PM   #7

In addition, after using one for a year, I found several pedestals were too close to the ground to use the portable model, thus I installed mine in my first 19 and had Escape do all the others for basically labor free install.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:32 PM   #8

Thank you all for the input. The wall thickness was something I was wondering about. I was thinking anything mounted to the stock wall with tape or just screws would bounce loose pretty quickly especially if what was mounted to the wall had any weight on it. I'm still trying to think of what I might mount but figured I would come up with something given all the mods on the forum.

As for the bathroom vent....I forgot the trailer might be molded for it. So I'll scratch eliminating that. I was just thinking the window might suffice.

Surge protection....now I'm leaning towards going ahead with the Escape option and putting it in given comments here. Even if I only plug in a few times a year...having it built in would be a benefit vs. digging around for the plug-in version I'd likely have stashed someplace. And I hadn't thought of theft...or leaving it behind. Given I won't have AC or a microwave I figure having surge protection would protect the batteries and charging system at a minimum if I was plugged in? Certainly would help with any electronics like my laptop, etc I would think.
Old 10-10-2016, 06:42 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017-21' Escape (sold) Casita 17' (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by advenas View Post
Thank you all for the input. The wall thickness was something I was wondering about. I was thinking anything mounted to the stock wall with tape or just screws would bounce loose pretty quickly especially if what was mounted to the wall had any weight on it. I'm still trying to think of what I might mount but figured I would come up with something given all the mods on the forum.

As for the bathroom vent....I forgot the trailer might be molded for it. So I'll scratch eliminating that. I was just thinking the window might suffice.

Surge protection....now I'm leaning towards going ahead with the Escape option and putting it in given comments here. Even if I only plug in a few times a year...having it built in would be a benefit vs. digging around for the plug-in version I'd likely have stashed someplace. And I hadn't thought of theft...or leaving it behind. Given I won't have AC or a microwave I figure having surge protection would protect the batteries and charging system at a minimum if I was plugged in? Certainly would help with any electronics like my laptop, etc I would think.
It is my understanding from Escape that they really don't want to delete hardly any stock, built in, usual items (such as the bathroom fan) and myself personally I'd always want a window AND an exhaust fan in the bathroom.

In terms of surge protector.... we had a portable one on the Casita, and it was a giant pain in the butt trying to secure it at any power pole. I have heard of them getting stolen (a good one is expensive) so I decided to get one built into our forthcoming 21'.

Think about the fridge, charging system, cell phones, batteries, etc..... I have seen some crazy power situations at campsites..... (wrong voltages, mis-wired, etc) so I consider the built in surge protector insurance.

and about the walls.... as I just posted on another thread....
....I asked Sarah at ETI (Escape) about the option of re-enforcing walls.... it does cost extra $ and it does add extra weight.

The good thing (that I did not know) is that as the inner walls are somewhat soft, it is very very easy to gently push against the inner walls, and thus locate the stock existing studs, so one can easily put in a hook or whatever small item, with just the stock Escape.... simply locate a stud, and install item.

As we dont full time, and wont for a long long time (quite possibly never) plus as we consume media (movies, tv shows, etc) on iPads and iPhones and laptops .... then we'd never want to mount a tv.

we decided to not re-enforce any walls, based on all of this.

Horses for courses, as they say.
Losangeles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 06:44 PM   #10

My magnetic knife holder has been held up with two-sided tape for six or seven years ( over roads including washboard ). I cut the tips of the screws off so they wouldn't penetrate the shower wall. They are basically decorative.
I've used the same for the paper towel holder and my "weather centre". None of these things are really heavy, but it beats holes ( especially if you change your mind on location ).
Old 10-10-2016, 07:15 PM   #11

Today I just mounted 4 separate items with screws on non reinforced walls. You have to use shorter but thicker screws with coarse threads for better holding in thin walls. Heavier items like a television mount will require finding a stud or reinforced wall.
Old 10-10-2016, 10:41 PM   #12

Trailer: 2005 Aliner, 17B due in April/17
Does anyone know if there are any studs in the walls bordering the shower in the 17B? Presumably, there has to be something to attach the walls to, but is it just around the outside edges? Thanks! Brenda
blhvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 11:31 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
Does anyone know if there are any studs in the walls bordering the shower in the 17B? Presumably, there has to be something to attach the walls to, but is it just around the outside edges? Thanks! Brenda
I can't help but ask -- why?

The shower insert is fiberglass, molded in two halves -- a lower and an upper molding. It's joined in the center. It's installed between wood framing on the sides, and the fiberglass shell on the outside wall. I would never attempt to drill through it, since that would compromise it's watertight design.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 12:36 AM   #14

No, I was just wondering if there were studs to hit if attaching something to the adjacent walls - ie. the kitchen wall (where gbaglo has his knives) and the wall on the right when sitting at the driver-side front dinette. I don't WANT to hit the fibreglass in the bathroom when screwing something into those walls. (Although it sounds like Command hooks or double-sided tape work pretty well.
Old 10-11-2016, 12:46 AM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by blhvet View Post
No, I was just wondering if there were studs to hit if attaching something to the adjacent walls - ie. the kitchen wall (where gbaglo has his knives) and the wall on the right when sitting at the driver-side front dinette. I don't WANT to hit the fibreglass in the bathroom when screwing something into those walls. (Although it sounds like Command hooks or double-sided tape work pretty well.
I see.

Yes, there are studs in those walls, but if you plan on attaching something there that needs more support, you can always have those walls reinforced.

It would have to be a pretty long screw to reach the bathroom insert. As long as the fasteners you use are smaller (1" or less is typical) there's no concern.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 10-11-2016, 12:58 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It would have to be a pretty long screw to reach the bathroom insert.
I think that depends. Depends on model, depends on when it was built.
When I mounted my knife holder, I drilled until I broke through and then I stopped and used the bit to determine how much further I could go without drilling through the shower insert.
Since a longer screw wasn't going to accomplish anything, I cut the screws ( they came with the knife holder ) so they couldn't reach the shower surround and then used double-sided tape for the full length of the knife holder.
I installed my paper towel holder with double-sided tape and no screws ( in case I changed my mind ). It's been there since I bought the trailer. Never installed screws.
Attached Thumbnails
paper towel holder.jpg  
Old 10-11-2016, 02:46 AM   #17

Thanks for the info. My 17B will be a new 2017, due in April. That double-sided tape seems mighty handy... Can I ask what brand you use and where you get it? If you decide to remove it, will it take half the wall with it?
Old 10-11-2016, 07:23 AM   #18

Start collecting short coarse screws, they will come in handy.
Old 10-11-2016, 11:34 AM   #19

Got my double-sided tape so long ago that I forget. You can get No More Nails double-sided tape in three levels of permanent. I have a roll, but I've not used it yet.
3M also sells tape.
Old 10-11-2016, 02:45 PM   #20

For myself, I intend to go ahead and purchase a few of the plywood walls that Escape offers at $100 ea. My reasoning is it just offers a more solid panel to attach things to. I like the idea of using tape vs screws. Especially since screws tend to come loose over time on gravel roads.