Build sheet in progress, some questions for existing owners! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-24-2018, 11:38 PM   #1

Trailer: escape 5.0ta
Build sheet in progress, some questions for existing owners!

Happy Holidays everyone!

I put in my 5.0 TA order and have a couple weeks more to complete my build sheet. There are a few things I'm still mulling over and would appreciate your guys' input.

-Are 5.0 TA owners satisfied with the standard shower head? Is it worthwhile to have it changed from the get-go or see if I like it first and maybe change it out later? Is hot water ever an issue? I'm considering going with the propane/electric combo option.

-How did you all go about selecting fabric for your build? Maybe I missed something but is there a preferred vendor or website that shows the different options? I'd appreciate pictures of your options that you you're happy with it. I'm going with the new maple wood and darker formica option.

-I'm considering going for the 2016 chevy Colorado diesel mid-size truck which has a payload of 1,480 lbs. I saw on another thread that this might be a little low. Can anyone provide further input? What is the pin weight of the 5.0TA stock, and what might it be if the 5th wheel is fully loaded?

-I read that Trade Masters is highly recommended for the Anderson hitch installation. Will they also do the gooseneck ball hitch installation? Will bed-liner be a problem for installing a gooseneck ball? And finally, are there any alternatives worth considering that wouldn't involve cutting through my truck bed? :|. What's the expected cost for a gooseneck ball and hitch installation?

Thanks!
soaring360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2018, 11:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
As for the fabric...Escape has only one fabric they offer and is pictured below. It is good quality and I like it for the ability to hide spots.
If you don’t like the standard fabric you can order fabric from anywhere that will ship to Escape so they can make the cushions etc at an extra cost. Others on the forum will help you with distributors.
Attached Thumbnails
664D69FF-EDB4-46FC-A78F-BB519F8A6DF8.jpg   5FD34A8A-AF97-4BE5-913B-999A2A927FC4.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:20 AM   #3

Trailer: 2016/ 5TA Spirit Bear
Your payload at 1480 pounds should be fine. The more interesting question is your towing capacity. 7000 pounds is adequate but not great. Most full sized pickups are in the 10000 pound range which gives you a nice power reserve.
Mark James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:08 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Dual power water heater

I like our dual power water heater. It saves on propane when you have shore power.
Some say you'll never make your money back, due to the increased initial cost, but I still like having it.

Propane's not that expensive, but getting the tanks filled more often is not that convenient.

When we have back to back showers in the trailer, we use both the electric element and the propane heat to have quick recovery. It seems to work.

See if ETI would put an indoor switch to the electric element, like they already do for the propane side of the heater. Otherwise it's outside under the cover, which can be hard to find or use.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 AM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Pin weight getting up around 750 lbs is not unknown, if you give it a little leeway figure 800-850ish. Add in the total weight of the hitch/mount you choose and your trucks occupants weight to get your minimum payload needs. For me it's 800+150+325= 1275 lbs. I obviously do not have the 40 lb Anderson. If I had the Colorado I could carry an extra 205 lbs of whatever in the truck.

There's a spread sheet for Real World trailer weights if you do a google search from the drop down above, but I don't see any entries for the new body 5.0TA's. The highest pin weight is 780 lbs.

I also like having the dual power HW tank.
Old 12-25-2018, 06:40 AM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If you don’t like the standard fabric you can order fabric from anywhere that will ship to Escape so they can make the cushions etc at an extra cost.
You can order fabric anywhere in the world. If you find exactly what you want and they won't ship to Canada, have the fabric shipped to you and then you ship to ETI. The fabric for Ten Forward came from Hawaii.

To me, of all the options in an ETI build, the fabric is the most noticeable. Get what you want even if it costs a bit more, because few things will make you as happy as when you step inside and think MINE, all MINE and it's just as I wanted.

Good luck!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
There are several folks on here that tow a 5.0TA with a Colorado/Canyon diesel, and perhaps they will chime in on their experiences. One thing to consider is although Chevy will list payload for these trucks on their website, the actual payload varies quite a lot with each individual truck, depending on configuration and options. I have a 4X4 with crew cab and extended bed, and its actual payload is 1,390. It will be on the yellow sticker on the driver's side door. Also, we tow a 19 with our Colorado, and while it tows it very well and very efficiently, I would never, ever say "I don't even know the trailer is back there". I can most definitely feel it back there, with an estimated trailer weight of 4,100 lbs fully loaded with water, propane, and gear. Of course, while the 5.0TA will weigh more, it is a more streamlined tow. But if you're looking for a "I can't even feel the trailer back there" type of experience, a Ford F-150 or similar half or 3/4 ton will get you closer. That said, the Colorado/Canyon diesels are wonderful rigs, they get incredible mpg both towing and not, and they will do the job.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 01:59 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 2017 GMC Canyon Duramax Diesel
2017 Canyon Diesel Payload

The payload on our 2017 GMC Canyon diesel 4x4, crew cab, short bed is 1403# as posted on the sticker on the door. We plan to tow our E21 with it which we will pick up in Sumas in mid-January. We towed a Forest River 21' trailer about 400# lighter than an E21 for two years and thought the Canyon diesel made an excellent tow vehicle. We had no trouble pulling steep grades out West at highway speed and are not anticipating any problems with the E21. We really liked the 5.0 but given that our Canyon has the short bed and given the pin weight of the 5.0, decided to go with the E21 instead.
Chama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:21 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark James View Post
Your payload at 1480 pounds should be fine. The more interesting question is your towing capacity. 7000 pounds is adequate but not great. Most full sized pickups are in the 10000 pound range which gives you a nice power reserve.
But the maximum allowed weight of a 5.0TA (GVWR) is 5500 pounds, so this truck could tow a loaded-to-the-max 5.0TA while carrying the maximum allowed payload, and still not quite run out of rated capacity.

Excess rated towing capacity does not indicate anything about power reserve. Towing ratings are based on the ability to safely tow without overheating or otherwise mechanically failing, with only minimal performance standards. A vehicle rated for 10,000 pounds of trailer may have less power than one rated for 7,000 pounds - there just isn't a direct relationship.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 03:26 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by salmo7000 View Post
But if you're looking for a "I can't even feel the trailer back there" type of experience, a Ford F-150 or similar half or 3/4 ton will get you closer.
I think that any driver who really can't tell that a two- to three- ton trailer is behind their two- to three- ton truck is not paying adequate attention to what they are doing. I pulled a two-ton (loaded) car trailer behind a ten-ton motorhome, and while it was not noticeable at constant speed on flat ground, I could feel it with every grade (up or down) and turn. The combination was safe and stable, and had adequate performance, but it certainly wasn't a case of "I can't even feel the trailer back there".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 04:59 PM   #11

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
I have 2018 5.0TA and tow with GMC Canyon Duramax. Love my truck and in my opinion is perfect size and setup.

My loaded 5.0TA pin weight came in at 800 lbs. I installed Anderson hitch on universal rails myself, but would not suggest if lacking ability and tools to do so. Your only hitch type option for Diesel Canyon/Colorado is universal rail version.

Link to my hitch install winter 2017/2018
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f1...all-12117.html

Trademasters has installed 5th wheel hitches into many Canyon/Colorado trucks. I would suggest you buy your hitch and rails and let Trademasters supply the frame brackets/hardware.

If you go with Trademasters it will take most of one day to install. You would want to call and schedule your appointment few in weeks ahead and on the day before your pickup date.

I ordered fabric from Sailrite and had sent directly to ETI.
https://www.sailrite.com/
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Kent, what's your trucks payload?
Old 12-25-2018, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Kent, what's your trucks payload?
18 - Diesel - Crew Cab - Long Box - 4WD = 1386 payload.
Old 12-26-2018, 12:07 AM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, "Zen Purple", 2017 4X4 Chevy Colorado/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I think that any driver who really can't tell that a two- to three- ton trailer is behind their two- to three- ton truck is not paying adequate attention to what they are doing. I pulled a two-ton (loaded) car trailer behind a ten-ton motorhome, and while it was not noticeable at constant speed on flat ground, I could feel it with every grade (up or down) and turn. The combination was safe and stable, and had adequate performance, but it certainly wasn't a case of "I can't even feel the trailer back there".
I'm kind of glad to hear you say that! Towing my lightweight raft trailer, which weighs no more than 1,500 lbs, now that trailer I really can't feel. But the 19, definitely! In addition to the weight, I feel every bump, even with a WDH. But I've had no trouble pulling the long grades, which the Colorado does very well, and at low RPM. Even better, the exhaust brake provides supreme control going downhill, which as far as I'm concerned is what makes it such a good tow vehicle.
salmo7000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2018, 07:54 AM   #15

Quote:
Even better, the exhaust brake provides supreme control going downhill, which as far as I'm concerned is what makes it such a good tow vehicle.
2nd That!
Old 12-26-2018, 08:20 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and when you purchase a vehicle with the integrated brake control and towing package, gas or diesel, the transmission and engine are coordinated with your trailer, great set up....a lot better than the older style mount and connect brake controller.
Old 12-26-2018, 08:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
The factory IBC is a great improvement over an aftermarket brake controller IMHO
My factory IBC was a $235 option so the idea that there is a vast cost savings by going aftermarket doesn’t hold up
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:57 AM   #18

Trailer: 1985 Bigfoot 5th wheel
Quote:
There are several folks on here that tow a 5.0TA with a Colorado/Canyon diesel, and perhaps they will chime in on their experiences. One thing to consider is although Chevy will list payload for these trucks on their website, the actual payload varies quite a lot with each individual truck, depending on configuration and options. I have a 4X4 with crew cab and extended bed, and its actual payload is 1,390. It will be on the yellow sticker on the driver's side door. Also, we tow a 19 with our Colorado, and while it tows it very well and very efficiently, I would never, ever say "I don't even know the trailer is back there". I can most definitely feel it back there, with an estimated trailer weight of 4,100 lbs fully loaded with water, propane, and gear. Of course, while the 5.0TA will weigh more, it is a more streamlined tow. But if you're looking for a "I can't even feel the trailer back there" type of experience, a Ford F-150 or similar half or 3/4 ton will get you closer. That said, the Colorado/Canyon diesels are wonderful rigs, they get incredible mpg both towing and not, and they will do the job.
I tow a 21 Bigfoot with a Nissan Frontier and it is not a problem at all. I would think your tow would also be a very good choice
Pvreeker10@live.ca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA
We did not like the standard upholstery fabric and ordered our upholstery from Sailrite, as Escape and many others have recommended on this forum over the years.

Sailrite will send fabric samples, and deliver your order directly to Escape...a route I suggest you take, as the colours on your computer screen are never completely accurate....and you will need to live with your fabric choice for a long time. We narrowed down our choices online and then ordered about 10 samples ($2 each). They were delivered very quickly, and it was the best way to find a custom fabric.

Alternately, if you have an RV upholstery fabric store nearby, you can purchase your fabric yourself and ship it to Escape. Don't try to save money on the fabric...it needs specifically to be RV fabric, which is strong, water resistant, holds it's shape without stretching, etc.
Sunbrella brand is excellent quality, often used in sailboats, and has lots of colour/pattern options.

Happy fabric shopping...it was the most difficult choice of all the decisions we made on our RV.

https://www.sailrite.com/Fabrics/RV-...tem_popularity
Mrs. iamunique127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape
Fabric manufacturers

Quote:
Originally Posted by soaring360 View Post
Happy Holidays everyone!

I put in my 5.0 TA order and have a couple weeks more to complete my build sheet. There are a few things I'm still mulling over and would appreciate your guys' input.

-Are 5.0 TA owners satisfied with the standard shower head? Is it worthwhile to have it changed from the get-go or see if I like it first and maybe change it out later? Is hot water ever an issue? I'm considering going with the propane/electric combo option.

-How did you all go about selecting fabric for your build? Maybe I missed something but is there a preferred vendor or website that shows the different options? I'd appreciate pictures of your options that you you're happy with it. I'm going with the new maple wood and darker formica option.

-I'm considering going for the 2016 chevy Colorado diesel mid-size truck which has a payload of 1,480 lbs. I saw on another thread that this might be a little low. Can anyone provide further input? What is the pin weight of the 5.0TA stock, and what might it be if the 5th wheel is fully loaded?

-I read that Trade Masters is highly recommended for the Anderson hitch installation. Will they also do the gooseneck ball hitch installation? Will bed-liner be a problem for installing a gooseneck ball? And finally, are there any alternatives worth considering that wouldn't involve cutting through my truck bed? :|. What's the expected cost for a gooseneck ball and hitch installation?

Thanks!
We are ordering custom fabric from https://www.jtsoutdoorfabrics.com a Canadian company that sent me a few samples. I had good communication with them. I see you are in the US and the company Escape Industries says that they have had a lot of orders from is https://www.sailrite.com
These are 2 companies Escape Industries recommended as possibilities. Both will ship the fabric to Escape. No matter where you order from make sure the vendor notes the fabric is for you. Sometimes Escape has received fabric with no notes and they don’t know where it is coming from. I would also communicate directly with Escape to make sure you order enough fabric. It will depend on if there is a pattern that has to be matched. We decided to have both sides of our cushions covered so we can flip them in case of damage by pets, spills or just wear and tear.
HarpShallTravel is offline   Reply With Quote