Build Thread "The Open Road" - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-03-2021, 05:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Build Thread "The Open Road"

I'm going to start a build thread for my 2021 Escape 19 "The Open Road". This trailer is, as of the start of this thread, completed but still at ETI in Chilliwack. I'll start off with ETI's pictures of the build.

My planned upgrades once I take possession:
1) Install Hensley Cub hitch
2) Install 2 gallon accumulator on the water supply system
3) Install retaining shelves on the medicine cabinet
4) Install Rec-Pro 9500 BTU AC unit
5) Install 3 flexible solar panels on roof, and Victron MPPT controller
6) Rework the electrical system to move the batteries inside the trailer, and conform to my ideas of how things should be.
7) Install some kind of pull out storage system under the bed.

My ambition is to document all these updates in this thread as I move ahead. We'll see how good I am at taking pictures.

Attached here is the build sheet.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Build Sheet.pdf (422.8 KB, 45 views)
JeffreyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 05:55 PM   #2

Initial build pictures:
Attached Thumbnails
01.jpg   02a.jpg   03a.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 05:58 PM   #3

And a few more about a week into the build.
Attached Thumbnails
12.jpg   13.jpg   15.jpg   16.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 06:00 PM   #4

And the outside, again in mid-August 21.
Attached Thumbnails
17.jpg   18.jpg   19.jpg   25.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 06:02 PM   #5

Last two, it looked mostly done by 8/20.
Attached Thumbnails
26.jpg   27.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 06:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
I like the pictures of the guitars almost as much
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2021, 06:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2010 Prolite Mini
Very nice!! Looking forward to seeing the adventure play out.

Also thanks for your Open Roads thread.
Old 10-03-2021, 06:53 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
I like the pictures of the guitars almost as much
Ha!, thanks. I felt like mixing it up with the avatar picture so I changed my old one out for a pic with my eldest daughter. The picture was from when we were playing some songs together during the pandemic (me on bass, her on guitar) before she moved away to San Diego.

Now my eldest lives 2400 miles from me in San Diego. My second eldest is in college at Michigan Tech, 550 miles away. I foresee my four children all growing up and moving away, so my vision is to retire and take to the roads with my Escape 19 to visit them all.

So, sort of a diversion from this build thread, but I did take advantage of the pandemic downtime and I build this bass for myself. It's a jazz bass with Fralin pickups, quilt maple top, ebony fretboard, and stainless frets.
Attached Thumbnails
JGG00874.jpg  
Old 10-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #9

Great plan exactly what we’ve been doing. In fact I met three of my children in Boulder this summer. One from Portland , one for NYC, and my son who lives in Boulder.

By the way one of my old friends teaches railroad design at Michigan tech .
Old 10-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
Ha!, thanks. I felt like mixing it up with the avatar picture so I changed my old one out for a pic with my eldest daughter. The picture was from when we were playing some songs together during the pandemic (me on bass, her on guitar) before she moved away to San Diego.

Now my eldest lives 2400 miles from me in San Diego. My second eldest is in college at Michigan Tech, 550 miles away. I foresee my four children all growing up and moving away, so my vision is to retire and take to the roads with my Escape 19 to visit them all.

So, sort of a diversion from this build thread, but I did take advantage of the pandemic downtime and I build this bass for myself. It's a jazz bass with Fralin pickups, quilt maple top, ebony fretboard, and stainless frets.
Nice rig, I’ve been playing semi professionally for 40 years. Mandolin and violin. My son in Denver plays jazz bass and guitar
Old 10-04-2021, 02:38 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

All of your plans sound like beneficial mods, I look forward to following you Having Fun!

Quote:
An accumulator has long struck me as a missed revenue opportunity by ETI, it seems to me the sort of thing that aligns with other Options they offer in terms of incorporation in their production process. Maybe I misjudge that or the appeal it would have for buyers as a factory installed Option.

It's on my list, I'll follow your component choice and installation with interest
Old 10-04-2021, 02:48 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I want to hear more about that Rec-Pro 9500 BTU AC unit.
Old 10-04-2021, 03:13 PM   #13

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Quote:
It's a jazz bass with Fralin pickups, quilt maple top, ebony fretboard, and stainless frets.
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 06:19 PM   #14

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I want to hear more about that Rec-Pro 9500 BTU AC unit.

Me too, since I plan to order my 21C A/C ready and have the Rec-Pro installed. Think it is too heavy for me to do it.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 07:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Me too, since I plan to order my 21C A/C ready and have the Rec-Pro installed. Think it is too heavy for me to do it.

I've got a plan to bridge a ladder over the top of the trailer from my balcony to a scaffold. The 9500 BTU Rec-Pro 'only' weighs 62 lbs, which my wife and I can handle.

Anyway, I'll take pictures once we do it. Right now the AC is sitting in a box in the basement, and the RV is in Chilliwack.
Old 10-04-2021, 08:51 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21NE
Quote:
Is the accumulator something that holds water so the pump doesn't have to come on every time? Saves energy and less noise?

Quote:
5) Install 3 flexible solar panels on roof, and Victron MPPT controller
Flexible panels sound interesting. If people are still having issues with the ETI installed front panels when I start my buildsheet for the 21NE I might want to go with a flexible front panel. I imagine they're better for fuel mileage and not getting hit by branches on forest roads?

Quote:
6) Rework the electrical system to move the batteries inside the trailer, and conform to my ideas of how things should be.
I'm very interested in moving the batteries into the trailer. Mainly for security but also for weight balance. As for reworking to conform to your ideas how things should be, is this to fix issues with ETI wiring that you feel need addressed or more of a personal preference thing? I ask because I've started reading threads concerning electrical and it seems peoples opinion are all over the place. Plenty of people saying the ETI setup is a good value and no issues with it. Others saying its not done correctly for lithium (wire not heavy enough of a gauge, fuses too small) and would bug them if they didn't go change it to how they feel it should be. Its kind of confusing to someone who doesn't know much about electrical.

Quote:
1) Install Hensley Cub hitch
I'm close to ordering one but still have some questions. Mainly about going down rougher forest roads and how well a Hensley handles pitch and yaw (or any WDH for that matter). I went boondocking/dispersed camping this weekend for the first time. Had a great time and definitely want to do a lot more of this style of camping. However I was really surprised at how big the dips (whoop dee doos) were! The pictures don't really do it justice, they were really deep and I can't see how the Hensley with its design of being a straight shank instead of a ball would work with this? Maybe there is something I'm not understanding? Maybe it can rotate more than it looks like it can? But even if it can rotate enough I wonder how the tension from the bars is dealt with? Do you just take them off when offroading?

Thanks for the thread, will be interesting to read!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20211003_092814.jpg   IMG_20211003_093139.jpg  
MichaelS78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2021, 09:21 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post
Is the accumulator something that holds water so the pump doesn't have to come on every time? Saves energy and less noise?
Right. So you can use a couple gallons of water before the pump will come on. Then the pump will run longer to refill the accumulator. The idea is to not have the pump come on at night if somebody uses the toilet. And yes, by "someone" I mean my wife.

Quote:
Flexible panels sound interesting. If people are still having issues with the ETI installed front panels when I start my buildsheet for the 21NE I might want to go with a flexible front panel. I imagine they're better for fuel mileage and not getting hit by branches on forest roads?
I like them for the reason's you mention. I plan to stick them on with 3M VHB tape, and then put a bead of dicor around the edges to keep the tape dry.

Quote:
I'm very interested in moving the batteries into the trailer. Mainly for security but also for weight balance. As for reworking to conform to your ideas how things should be, is this to fix issues with ETI wiring that you feel need addressed or more of a personal preference thing?
I don't know that there's anything wrong, but after moving the batteries I'll have to look at critical runs like the invertor in terms of gauge. But mostly I'm just adding a shunt so I can really monitor the battery, and a Victron MPPT charger for the solar.

Quote:
I'm close to ordering one but still have some questions. Mainly about going down rougher forest roads and how well a Hensley handles pitch and yawMaybe it can rotate more than it looks like it can? But even if it can rotate enough I wonder how the tension from the bars is dealt with? Do you just take them off when offroading?
My previous trailer was not something I'd take off-road, so I'm not sure in total, but I will offer these thoughts:
1) I'd take the bars off ANY WHD before going off road.

2) The Hensley head is rigidly coupled to the tow vehicle, but the trailer attaches to it with a ball. So the head articulates relative to the trailer. Is it enough? I dunno because I never off-roaded with a trailer before. But I can take pictures of the articulation once I install it.

3) My best guess is that any trail bad enough to exceed the Hensley articulation is probably not a trail you should be on with an Escape. Escape's approach and departure angles are terrible as compared to just about any off-road vehicle you can think of.
Old 10-04-2021, 10:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelS78 View Post

Quote:
Right. So you can use a couple gallons of water before the pump will come on. Then the pump will run longer to refill the accumulator. [COLOR="Blue"][B]The idea is to not have the pump come on at night if somebody uses the toilet.
For us (in a 5.0TA) the pump noise is not an issue. The pump is under the drivers side bench at the rear of the trailer and when we are in bed our heads are at the far end of the trailer. We never hear it at night.
Old 10-05-2021, 06:41 AM   #19

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
For us (in a 5.0TA) the pump noise is not an issue. The pump is under the drivers side bench at the rear of the trailer and when we are in bed our heads are at the far end of the trailer. We never hear it at night.
I wish the pump in our 5.0 was as quiet as yours. I installed a SEAFLO Accumulator Tank and the tank is much less noticeable. It just has enough capacity for one complete flush of the toilet, but the pump is now either on or off, and that ratcheting sound is essentially gone. Finding the correct bladder psi took a few tries with our bike pump, but was easy to do.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-05-2021, 10:24 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
I wish the pump in our 5.0 was as quiet as yours. I installed a SEAFLO Accumulator Tank and the tank is much less noticeable. It just has enough capacity for one complete flush of the toilet, but the pump is now either on or off, and that ratcheting sound is essentially gone. Finding the correct bladder psi took a few tries with our bike pump, but was easy to do.

Enjoy,

Perry
Could you post a picture of the mounting location if possible?