Built-in electric heat - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yes they do and did I mention how quiet they are.

Ron
The sad part was our 1979 little motorhome had a squirrel cage in the stove vent then somewhere along the line they went cheap in RV’s ! Just can’t figure where to install a heater in the 19 . We have a portable if hookups . We like it sometimes on the kitchen counter for warm air during showers and under dinette facing bed area when we go to sleep . Facing the cabinets not really ideal as has been mentioned . Really outfitting you’re new trailer Ron ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:20 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Those squirrel cages sure work nice even in our stove vents too (Sam 1 stove vent ) they really move the air ! Pat
The fan in this heater has that "squirrel cage" look, but is actually a transverse or cross-flow fan, which works quite differently. The term "squirrel cage" is used for centrifugal fans, which take in air at the centre (so at the ends) and blow it out the periphery; these fans take it in along the whole length on one side and blow it out the other side. Both types can be noisy junk or reasonably quiet and effective, but the transverse design is much more suitable for this heater configuration.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 03:53 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The fan in this heater has that "squirrel cage" look, but is actually a transverse or cross-flow fan, which works quite differently. The term "squirrel cage" is used for centrifugal fans, which take in air at the centre (so at the ends) and blow it out the periphery; these fans take it in along the whole length on one side and blow it out the other side. Both types can be noisy junk or reasonably quiet and effective, but the transverse design is much more suitable for this heater configuration.
Brian thought it was a squirrel cage. What do I know ? But the Sam1 really works well and so did the squirrel cage vent fan on our older Motorhome too. Looks like a nice heater though and wish I had a place for it . Pat
Old 11-03-2019, 05:06 PM   #24

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Just can’t figure where to install a heater in the 19 . We have a portable if hookups . We like it sometimes on the kitchen counter for warm air during showers and under dinette facing bed area when we go to sleep .
Pat
I found, for the 19 with a portable heater, that an independent thermostat worked best. When hung near the bed it allowed for easy tweaking of the temperature without getting out of bed.

The cords and box with bracket are now surplus. I'll have them with me at Q'site if you want them.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
04-09-2014 8-32-28 PM48_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 06:23 PM   #25

Quote:
I found, for the 19 with a portable heater, that an independent thermostat worked best. When hung near the bed it allowed for easy tweaking of the temperature without getting out of bed.

The cords and box with bracket are now surplus. I'll have them with me at Q'site if you want them.

Ron
Yes Ron ! Would like very much ! Thankyou ! Pat
Old 11-03-2019, 07:11 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
... thought it was a squirrel cage. What do I know ? But the Sam1 really works well and so did the squirrel cage vent fan on our older Motorhome too.
The SAM-1 vent does use a squirrel cage fan, taking air in vertically through a circular inlet on the bottom of the vertical-axis fan, and discharging horizontally through tangential rectangular duct to the outside vent.

This stove vent looks like a good place to use a squirrel cage, just as Ron's heater is a good place for a transverse fan.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:37 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The SAM-1 vent does use a squirrel cage fan, taking air in vertically through a circular inlet on the bottom of the vertical-axis fan, and discharging horizontally through tangential rectangular duct to the outside vent.

This stove vent looks like a good place to use a squirrel cage, just as Ron's heater is a good place for a transverse fan.
Thanks Brian ! Pat
Old 11-03-2019, 07:53 PM   #28

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:

There you go.

Ron
Looks good, thank you.
Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:06 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape19 2016
I use a circulating oil heater in my 19-foot Escape, and it keeps the trailer warm without using the gas heater - and it's totally silent.
Barb Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:56 PM   #30

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have used one of those in my last 4 Escapes, it is a 500 watt oil filled heater, plugged into a thermocube that activates at 35 on and 45 off. I leave it on during the winter. This am, when it was 25 outside, it was 40 degrees inside the Escape.
Old 11-13-2019, 06:12 PM   #31

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
Jim, your reply about keeping a low level of heat in your Escape during the winter got me to thinking about that same idea with mine. So my 21 is undercover, inside a metal framed and plastic covered "Quonset" type garage all winter long on jack stands. The only element it endures is the cold, and it was cold last night at about zero here is the Adirondack Mountains. And there is lots more winter cold to come!!! There is power at the trailer and occasionally when I do some work on it, I turn on a small cube heater inside. But what is your thinking about why you keep a continuous low level of heat in yours? Thanks in advanced for your reply.
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:22 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I only use the oil filled as there are no moving parts that may cause problems. A fan driven motor can fail. I keep my unit at home and enter it several times a week just to fine tune things and keeping it warmer than the outside makes it bearable. Keeps me out of trouble.....
Old 11-13-2019, 06:50 PM   #33

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
Oh I agree completely with moving parts and failure. The oil filed unit seems like an excellent idea here while the 21 is wintering over and stationary. Thanks!
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote