Cabinet hinge replacement - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-29-2017, 11:57 AM   #41

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
What year did they do this? I think mine are still like Myrons, but I'll have to go look.
Not really sure, Greg. My 2009 had then bent, for sure.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:23 PM   #42

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Rather than retrofit different hinges we just added two additional, matching, hinges between the existing three. We didn't have any problems with the original hinges, just thought it wouldn't hurt to beef it up. Just in case.

As to holes, they can also be filled with any number of wood matching products for that purpose available at any home center.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:36 PM   #43

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
What do you mean "oops"? I prefer to call them design modifications.

I know what you mean, I'd hate to drill new holes also. The ETI method of bending and installing the hinges over the door trim seems mickey mouse to me. I'd cut the trim and have the hinges sit flush. But, hey, it's easy to tell someone else to hack up their trailer.

Ron
Hey Ron I found lot's of places on our cabinets there was Oop's . Hard to see , it matches real well but running your hand over those places finds them . It was accidental though . I agree I would have hinges flush carefully cutting the trim . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:38 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
What year did they do this? I think mine are still like Myrons, but I'll have to go look.
Hi Greg our hinges are bent . Pat
Old 03-29-2017, 12:40 PM   #45

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Not really sure, Greg. My 2009 had then bent, for sure.
Certainly they were still doing that on the 2014's, mine are bent. So there's lot's of Escapes, the majority, that have that set-up.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 12:53 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonny LR View Post
The BD is very steady and secure.

Tonny
I think the major issue for me isn't the somewhat flimsy hinges but the fact that the door only opens 123* and sticks out into valuable space if left open.

Argh, I can see that I'm going to have to get off my butt and do this mod before we head out cross-country.

Ron
Old 03-29-2017, 01:06 PM   #47

Trailer: pondering.....
perhaps ETI should "design" or consider a better bathroom door and frame. Recently saw on several trailers a well designed lightweight bathroom door and frame, including very good hinges actually designed for the task...one of the bathroom door/frame/hinge solutions appeared to be an "off the shelf" type design allowing various x&y for any trailer mfg that wasn't into DIY.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:15 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Scamp has always used a piano hinge on the bathroom door which has been very robust. this is one of the things I was going to look at is if that type hinge could be accomodated on the Escape bath door.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:11 PM   #49

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Myron , Escape has some matching tape for oops . Pat
Yes, and I found that if you smooth the area behind and use a punch to create a small circle of the material, it becomes almost invisible when applied. I suggested a long time ago to Reace that a small piece of this should be included with every trailer, but he said it would be a waste because most people wouldn't use it. I still disagree. Hardly a month goes by that someone isn't talking about the need to cover a hole or damaged piece of the oak-like cabinet material.

To all NEW owners, ASK for a piece of this seam material when you pick up your trailer, even if you have to pay a couple of bucks for it. It is impossible to find anywhere else and I guarantee that you WILL find a use for it at some point.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 03:22 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Yes, and I found that if you smooth the area behind and use a punch to create a small circle of the material, it becomes almost invisible when applied. I suggested a long time ago to Reace that a small piece of this should be included with every trailer, but he said it would be a waste because most people wouldn't use it. I still disagree. Hardly a month goes by that someone isn't talking about the need to cover a hole or damaged piece of the oak-like cabinet material.

To all NEW owners, ASK for a piece of this seam material when you pick up your trailer, even if you have to pay a couple of bucks for it. It is impossible to find anywhere else and I guarantee that you WILL find a use for it at some point.
I agree with you . I had to order some with my pole and cabinet door . It wasn't very much money and it really matches and hides . Would be nice to get some with your trailer . Pat
Old 03-29-2017, 05:41 PM   #51

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Don't know what you guys are doing to your hinges to cause rust or failure.
Attached Thumbnails
bath door hinge.jpg   cupboard hinge.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 06:16 PM   #52

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I have cut my door trim and screwed the new Liberty hinges in place. Now, before I see if it all hangs good I must dig into my box of acrylics for a tube of paint that matches the oak. Will mix it with some Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty to cover the old screw holes in the wall. Man, you gotta love the suspense.
Attached Thumbnails
hinge6.jpg  
Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 PM   #53

Yup, it'll be a sleepless night for sure.

Ron
Old 03-29-2017, 06:44 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I have cut my door trim and screwed the new Liberty hinges in place. Now, before I see if it all hangs good I must dig into my box of acrylics for a tube of paint that matches the oak. Will mix it with some Durham's Rock Hard Water Putty to cover the old screw holes in the wall. Man, you gotta love the suspense.
Very nice work and much better hinges. Pat
Old 03-29-2017, 07:25 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post

When I attended the Osoyoos Rally I asked Reace for a piece of trim that goes around the cubby cutouts, they only installed top and bottom and I wanted the sides done. Next day they arrived from Chilliwack via one of Escape's people. So that is an option available to you.
Old 03-30-2017, 12:05 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just finished hanging the bath door. All went well in that I got it screwed into the frame just right. The latch connection matches up perfect. Should have done a better job cutting the door frame on hinge seen here. Filled in screw hole putty is good enough if not perfect. And, perhaps biggest question is... does the door now open wide enough, as seen here, to be satisfactory? This hinge prevents the door from opening really really wide, parallel to the wall. That was never a concern of mine.

My best assessment: Now I got a door hanging on really good hinges.
Attached Thumbnails
hing1a.jpg   hing2a.jpg  
Old 03-30-2017, 02:06 PM   #57

Quote:
Just finished hanging the bath door. All went well in that I got it screwed into the frame just right. The latch connection matches up perfect. Should have done a better job cutting the door frame on hinge seen here. Filled in screw hole putty is good enough if not perfect. And, perhaps biggest question is... does the door now open wide enough, as seen here, to be satisfactory? This hinge prevents the door from opening really really wide, parallel to the wall. That was never a concern of mine.

Much better hinges . You could touch up the hole patches with a little paint . Escape did that on a Oop's on my dinette cabinets . Didn't noticed it at first . Pat
Old 03-30-2017, 03:01 PM   #58

Quote:

That's not a bad thing. You could check the angle. Mine opens 135* or, forms a 45* angle to the wall. Unless the hinge pin is more towards the front of the door the opening angle won't increase.

Ron
Old 03-30-2017, 03:29 PM   #59

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
That's not a bad thing. You could check the angle. Mine opens 135* or, forms a 45* angle to the wall. Unless the hinge pin is more towards the front of the door the opening angle won't increase.

Ron
A Casita-style piano hinge will not help the Escape bath door open further. On Casitas the door opens a bit over 90 degrees and hits a cabinet. The Casita bath door is much thinner than the Escape bath door.

With the original Escape hinge the door is too thick, preventing full opening.

The replacement hinge pivot is further from the wall than the original hinge. The opening angle is about 165°. With the replacement hinge the door won't open 180° because the door edge hits the stationary shoulder of the hinge, the stationary shoulder is made with a bit of a bend. And the door trim hits the wall, the pivot is maybe just far enough away from the wall for the full door, but not the trim cap.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 04:43 PM   #60

Good explanation Doug. 165* is better than 135* so it seems like it would be worth doing.

Ron