cabinet locks - theft deterrence - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-08-2014, 07:53 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
cabinet locks - theft deterrence

So I'm looking at pictures of the overhead cabinets and wondering about having some type of lock on those to prevent the laptop/ipads/phones from walking away. Just something that stops a quick sticky finger if I am showing off the trailer.

Or hide valuables under bed?
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:00 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Lock them in the tow vehicle.
In any event, you're likely in the trailer with your visitor, explaining the features.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What I do, is to not worry about things like this. Until now, I had not even though about it.

Seriously, I really can't see that ever happening. You would be there with them, and anybody looking to view your trailer, is not likely looking to steal anything. I have had lots of people through my trailer, and never gave it a second thought.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:43 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Leave your laptop , I pad, Etc locked up at home and just go camping and relax .Things can't walk away if there not there
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #5
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I understand your concerns. You're out camping, not with gathering folks, and someone (you don't know) wants a tour....

But as Jim said, you'll probably be inside with them. If outside at the picnic table.. you'll notice someone walking out with "something" under their arm.

Between the Oregon Gathering and Fall NOG, plus four ETI references... I've probably had 80+ people (couples) tour Ten Forward. I have always told those folks to open doors and cupboards to get an idea of storage space... I've never lost a single thing. YMMV

But, they got plenty of looks of my dirty laundry... hahahhahaha
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
I'd never put a cabinet lock on a cabinet in a trailer. It would be like hanging a sign that says. "Look here for good stuff"

Of course, I will be in the area if anyone I don't know is sticking their head into our trailer
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 10:29 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Leave your laptop , I pad, Etc locked up at home and just go camping and relax .Things can't walk away if there not there
Now that's good advice-- especially for me. My work is tech, and I get paid mostly for being able to respond to my clients electronically. Consequently, I'm wired pretty much 24/7. Sometimes just need to UNPLUG.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I'd never put a cabinet lock on a cabinet in a trailer. It would be like hanging a sign that says. "Look here for good stuff"
Interesting point. Maybe a hidden or "trick" catch that isn't apparent and would just keep a casual "visitor" from opening that compartment. Hmm... what about a hidden compartment...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:19 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Hmm... what about a hidden compartment...
Hidden compartments will look very interesting to border guards. Which brings up an entirely unrelated question, how many posters have signed up for the Nexus border crossing program?

We just signed up and are now "trusted travelers". At 60 I guess they figure if I havnt gone sideways yet, I probably won't. Although it gave me pause to give Big Brother a scan of my eyeball. We did it anyway. In for a dime in for a dollar. And it is supposed to make airline travel thru border crossings easier.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 11:28 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
Hidden compartments will look very interesting to border guards.
Okay, good thing to consider...
If the trailer isn't searched, the style of compartments is not relevant. If it is searched, I would point it out to the guards. The contents - stuff which one would reasonably conceal for security and would have been declared if appropriate for the border crossing - would remove any concerns if anyone looked there at a border. This assumes, of course, that you don't stash illegal stuff there!
Personally, I wouldn't worry about this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 10:15 AM   #11

Trailer: 2015 5.0TA, Toyota Tundra CrewMax
I just picked up a PA-108 FAT 50 calibre ammo box, on sale at Princess Auto, that will fit my MacBook, iPad, several hard drives and other small valuables. Hopefully I can find somewhere out-of-sight to secure it inside the 5.0TA once we get it home. In the meantime I intend to attach a means of locking it and a box-type cover for the lock so it can't be cut off. When I get around to this project I'll be sure to post what I do.

I've looked at lock boxes and fire safes for this purpose but each has more limitations for me than what I decided upon. The ammo box won't be fire-safe but that's a compromise I can live with.

For some camping situations we will likely just leave our electronics at home but for extended trips and other foreseeable uses we will want to have some means of communication &/or music along with us. You must anticipate needing/wanting your equipment along or you wouldn't be asking the question.

Hope this idea helped.
Old 12-09-2014, 03:34 PM   #12

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Opportunistic thefts are just that!

Would you leave a "c note" on the dinette unattended?

One tends to not notice a missing item....until it's long gone. Personally I wouldn't leave anything out....that I would surely miss!

Kind of like jewelry in your home...sitting on the dresser! Ya never know....when the burglar will make a house call! If you want to keep your belongings...then secure them.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 05:35 PM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Great lively discussion guys. Thanks for all thoughts.

As OP, will take along a "tech box" and place in locked vehicle when it's visiting hours. Out of sight, out of mind. Will see if I run across a suitable lock in my travels.

I had not thought of a fire proof/resistant box but will try to remember that for future.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:32 PM   #14

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
Great lively discussion guys. Thanks for all thoughts.

As OP, will take along a "tech box" and place in locked vehicle when it's visiting hours. Out of sight, out of mind. Will see if I run across a suitable lock in my travels.

I had not thought of a fire proof/resistant box but will try to remember that for future.
Don't know about drawers in the 21 but in the 19 if you take a drawer out and measure it's length and then measure the length of the space it fits into you'll find there's a very usable amount of space. We use it as a quick to access but totally out of sight storage area for small valuables. We've had the small safes/lock boxes in RVs' and they also offer peace of mind.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #15

Personally, I foresee some instances for me where the vehicle may be a less desireable place for my valuables than the relative safety of a campground, for example when leaving the truck parked in a city for the day or at a remote trailhead. Of course, everyones needs and styles are different so your mileage may vary on this.

Fire safes and lock boxes go on sale every few months at Canadian Tire. The fire safes are very secure but need to be strapped down rather than putting bolts or screws through them, obviously, or you would negate the fire and waterproofness. They are necessarily also quite heavy.

The lock boxes can be bolted down but the ones I saw had flimsy locks that can be easily opened with a potato when you know the trick- search it on YouTube for a demonstration. (As a consolation, if the thieves leave the potato behind at least you can make poutine while you are waiting for the Police.)
Old 12-09-2014, 06:53 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Don't know about drawers in the 21 but in the 19 if you take a drawer out and measure it's length and then measure the length of the space it fits into you'll find there's a very usable amount of space. We use it as a quick to access but totally out of sight storage area for small valuables.
Ron
Ooh, I like that idea a lot. Similar to something we do at home.