Cable Connections - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-24-2020, 02:07 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Cable Connections

Even tho it ain't broke, I'm going to break my rule and fix it. I've decided to do some preventive maint. I'm going to replace every cable connection I can find/get to with heat shrink connectors. Proper crimps with the proper tool and I'll have more confidence in the wiring.

I know some prefer splicing and solder but I think the heat shrink connectors will do the job.

My question is for the 7 pin junction box. I want to get one with the TV to trailer cable installed instead of using the present cable. I looked at a few and some reviews say the cable was no where near the stated length and one said it was a European wired cable. What's up with that!

I know folks here have done3 it. Anyone happy with the setup they bought and willing to share the info?
Old 08-24-2020, 07:20 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Even tho it ain't broke, I'm going to break my rule and fix it. I've decided to do some preventive maint. I'm going to replace every cable connection I can find/get to with heat shrink connectors. Proper crimps with the proper tool and I'll have more confidence in the wiring.

I know some prefer splicing and solder but I think the heat shrink connectors will do the job.

My question is for the 7 pin junction box. I want to get one with the TV to trailer cable installed instead of using the present cable. I looked at a few and some reviews say the cable was no where near the stated length and one said it was a European wired cable. What's up with that!

I know folks here have done3 it. Anyone happy with the setup they bought and willing to share the info?
I bought this one and it worked fine. The length is correct. The 7 way color code is RV Standard.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Attached Thumbnails
7 way plug.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 07:45 PM   #3

This is slightly deviating from the OP's request but...

There are three wire color code "standards" for a 7 way plug. Why? I don't know but it sure gets confusing if you are trying to wire one and get the wrong type plug.

A 7-way Traditional and the 7-way RV standard both have the wire function the same - just the wire colors are different. Buy the wrong one and the wire colors won't match your trailer wires.

The 7-way Heavy-Duty is completely different but thankfully uses a different type of pin so they cannot be accidentally mixed.

The Escape is wired to the RV Standard as it should be.
Attached Thumbnails
7_Way_trailer_plug_wiring.jpg  
Old 08-24-2020, 08:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I bought this one and it worked fine. The length is correct. The 7 way color code is RV Standard.
This looks just like the block ETI uses now. At least on my 2019 5.0. I was just verifying the running light circuit this afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
69094BDB-3A98-4C7F-950D-7A3284285E00.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Thanks, This looks like the one I need. Glad to find one with matching wire colors.

I finally decided to do this after reading the numerous posts about 12v problems. I just hope their are no hidden cables with trashy connectors.

After my experience with the ,explicative deleted, battery switch, I'm willing to believe there may be some more junk around.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
This looks just like the block ETI uses now. At least on my 2019 5.0. I was just verifying the running light circuit this afternoon.
I'm more concerned about the proper size connector and crimp than the box. I just thought I would replace the entire assembly as long as I was at it.
Old 08-24-2020, 09:09 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
this is why I have a 2002 F250 7.3 powerstroke. end of run, well debugged engine, built like a tank, everyone who knows diesels can fix it.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 09:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I'm more concerned about the proper size connector and crimp than the box. I just thought I would replace the entire assembly as long as I was at it.
The box Escape installed and the box that comes with the 7 way are the same.

"I just thought I would replace the entire assembly" I did the same thing - just replaced the Escape box with the new one and reconnected the trailer wires.
Old 08-25-2020, 05:32 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
this is why I have a 2002 F250 7.3 powerstroke. end of run, well debugged engine, built like a tank, everyone who knows diesels can fix it.
I also have the 2002 7.3. I have replaced many things on it , Starter ,alternator, etc but the engine itself has never cost me a nickel. 351K miles and purring along

I have Banks Power Equipment installed on it with stacked tuners, Garret turbo with Banks Big Head waste gate. 4 inch up and down pipes to large intercooler, AFE fresh air intake with oiled filter to feed the turbo. Four inch straight thru exhaust. Banks exhaust brake and some other neat stuff.

Service it properly and that 7.3 is going to last forever.