Cable pass through hole - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2022, 12:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2018 19' sold, 2022 21C
Cable pass through hole

Wanting to drill/create hole in the shell for cable pass through. Looking for a link to Amazon or other seller for a suitable cable grommet fixture. I think something similar to the outlet fixture for the NON detachable power cord would be OK. Needing suggestions / seller links. Thanks to this forum.
seanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Personally I would go with something large enough to stick your hand in to untangle the cable inside the trailer should it do so. This one comes in 3 sizes and will be cheaper on Amazon in the US.
Attached Thumbnails
3932A3C5-67D6-467D-B512-2DC649FE9057.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 01:18 PM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Wanting to drill/create hole in the shell for cable pass through. Looking for a link to Amazon or other seller for a suitable cable grommet fixture. I think something similar to the outlet fixture for the NON detachable power cord would be OK. Needing suggestions / seller links. Thanks to this forum.
Go to Defenders marines website... What you want is "Cable Glands" Seaview and others.. Very common in the marine field. These aren't for power cords, but rather for running a cable or wire from inside to outside, with watertight properties..
Old 02-26-2022, 01:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Are you talking about a single cable 'fixed' through the shell, the fitting known as a cable gland or liquid-tight strain relief?

If yes, there are many sources, a favorite of mine is Grainger with a huge variety of sizes, materials, and bends

EDIT - noting you are in Round Rock, there is -

Grainger Austin Branch #053
7950 Research Blvd. Ste 101
Austin, TX 78758

Note you can place an order for a single item with Grainger, choose 'in-store pickup' and pay for the item when you pick it up at the store - there's NO online payment and NO shipping fee with that fantastic option which I use regularly at the South Austin location convenient to me.

Delivery is usually very prompt, Grainger welcomes small 'DIYer' purchases, you do not need to be a business or commercial buyer.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:51 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Are you talking about a single cable 'fixed' through the shell, the fitting known as a cable gland or liquid-tight strain relief?

If yes, there are many sources, a favorite of mine is Grainger with a huge variety of sizes, materials, and bends

EDIT - noting you are in Round Rock, there is -

Grainger Austin Branch #053
7950 Research Blvd. Ste 101
Austin, TX 78758

Note you can place an order for a single item with Grainger, choose 'in-store pickup' and pay for the item when you pick it up at the store - there's NO online payment and NO shipping fee with that fantastic option which I use regularly at the South Austin location convenient to me.

Delivery is usually very prompt, Grainger welcomes small 'DIYer' purchases, you do not need to be a business or commercial buyer.
Not planning on fixed cable. Considering removable for cell booster / Ethernet cable for wifi or other temporary wiring needs.
Old 02-26-2022, 01:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanc View Post
Not planning on fixed cable. Considering removable for cell booster / Ethernet cable for wifi or other temporary wiring needs.
Ah, then something like on this page: JR Products RV Trailer Camper Electronics Cable Tv Plate Polar White?

Or maybe one of these RV cable hatches?
Old 02-26-2022, 02:48 PM   #7

Hatches are the answer - Thanks
Old 02-26-2022, 02:50 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Personally I would go with something large enough to stick your hand in to untangle the cable inside the trailer should it do so. This one comes in 3 sizes and will be cheaper on Amazon in the US.
These would be great, but... I find the round saw hole cutters to be much easier on fiber glass.
Old 02-26-2022, 02:57 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Or maybe one of these RV cable hatches?
We used one of the round hatches for our various connections. The list includes the following wires: solar portable, phone, internet, coax (ham), ground, and probably have left out one or two others. It is most handy when camping (hosting) in one place for months at a time.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Grainger welcomes small 'DIYer' purchases, you do not need to be a business or commercial buyer.
Wow, not the case here. Unless you have a commercial account you're nobody.

I have so many different items that I want to run from outside to inside that I just bought the same type of cover that the fixed power cable uses and cut the back off it. Convenient for a 110V extension cord, portable solar, cable etc.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Wow, not the case here. Unless you have a commercial account you're nobody.
Darn, that's a bummer. I've had an online account with Grainger for years, just my name and home address, I don't even have a payment method (credit card) entered in their system.

I place literally dozens of individual item / small quantity online orders in a year, just select 'deliver to branch' and 'pay at branch' at checkout.

I don't think I'm individually remembered / recognized by the ever-changing staff, but I always get first-class treatment and "Thank You!" when I'm in the storefront to pickup and pay (I know I'm lucky to live a convenient few miles from a Grainger branch storefront).

Maybe it's a Texas or Austin thing, I'm sorry to hear that's not the case at all locations, I'll be more careful about my representations in the future
Old 02-26-2022, 09:55 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

Maybe it's a Texas or Austin thing, I'm sorry to hear that's not the case at all locations,
Or maybe us polite Canadians aren't all that polite in business matters. It's not just Grainger but Fastenal won't even let you in the door unless you have an account and we used to have a company, BC Bearing that gave priority to it's account customer, even if you'd come in the door first.

Thankfully Amazon doesn't care if I'm buying for myself or a bussiness.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2022, 11:25 PM   #13

Quote:
If only Amazon had the selection, easily searchable index, sensible product filters, and detailed specifications that Grainger and Fastenal have for the products they carry

Maybe it is a regional thing, I don't feel treated any differently than the commercial customers at the Fastenal storefront in Austin or by the folks at local industrial supplier American Bolt, the latter being where I buy almost all my fasteners at a fraction of the cost of HD/Lowes in the exact quantity desired.

So it goes I guess
Old 02-27-2022, 01:12 AM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
can you use a "F" cable tv style coax connector with a cell phone antenna ? I'm guessing with today's 5G cellular data at 3-4Ghz and 24-54Ghz, probably not. 4G low band is 700-900 Mhz and probably would pass through an F connector.

Reason I'm asking is, weatherproof F connector plates are a common thing, used for TV Antenna and Cable connections on RVs and boats. For example,
https://www.amazon.com/Prime-Product.../dp/B004LF70DK
but that would only work if the antenna and the booster 'radio' module were seperate and connected by a coax.

if, instead, you can connect teh booster with ethernet (using PoE, Power over Ethernet to power the external booster), then you could use something like this...
https://www.amazon.com/Installerpart.../dp/B01D0N7AI8
note these are only weatherproof when the cap is sealed, so you couldn't leave the cellular modem/booster connected if it was going to rain.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2022, 01:15 AM   #15
Site Team

Grainger, McMaster-Carr, and Digikey have never given me any issues with the tiniest orders I've submitted as an occasional hobbyist. I've never had to deal with them in person or on the phone, just via the websites. Processed a couple RMAs at Digikey, also painless.
Old 02-27-2022, 09:18 AM   #16

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Or maybe us polite Canadians aren't all that polite in business matters. It's not just Grainger but Fastenal won't even let you in the door unless you have an account and we used to have a company, BC Bearing that gave priority to it's account customer, even if you'd come in the door first.

Ron
I have several wholesale accounts that deal with mainly hvac supplies, walk in there without an account and they won’t deal with you. Whole systems and parts you won’t be able to get at some of the general supply stores. Contractors take full advantage of this system, the drive from that loading dock to the customers site has a markup that would put a smile on Tony Soprano’s face.

I definitely agree with you on Amazon, everyone should have a spare capacitor for their AC unit and a spare flame sensor for their furnace. $10 on Amazon, or $200 for a service call, these are the first things I check when there’s a problem.

Polite Canadians, that image reminds me of something we have here in America-southern hospitality, both were probably true long ago.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 11:38 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape 17B
I would look at marine thru hull fittings
Christian, Tommie and Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 04:38 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaTomBuddy View Post
I would look at marine thru hull fittings
those are called 'glands' for some reason. most only work for round cable of the specific OD size they were designed for, some come with rubber donuts for different size cables.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2022, 04:42 PM   #19

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
those are called 'glands' for some reason. most only work for round cable of the specific OD size they were designed for, some come with rubber donuts for different size cables.
I believe these cable glands that John shows are what the op wants. Marine thru hulls are a much different fitting