Can you confirm location for my solar panel breaker? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2023, 09:54 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Also, here is link to the Victron solar charge controller (SCC) Manual. If you didn't receive one with the trailer you can download it here.

https://www.victronenergy.com/solar-...pt7510#manuals

Section 4.5 Electrical Connections, provides information on connections and the order to make the connections. In your case, you should have a switch on at least the positive conductor between the panels and the SCC. You may have difficulty finding a suitable switch rated for the necessary DC voltage in which case you can find a breaker to use instead. The voltage in this instance is the voltage from the panels and can be up to 100 volts for your SCC. In my case I have 2 x 210 watt panels connected in series. My total Voc is 80 volts so I can use the same SCC you are using.

The reason Victron wants the SCC connected to the battery before connecting the panels is so the SCC can sense the battery voltage before the panels are connected. The SCC you are using can output 12V, 24V, or 48V depending on the battery.

When you disconnect the battery, you will want to switch the panels off and only switch them back on after you reconnect the battery.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2023, 12:22 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
You may want to consider mounting the controller in the upright position. I know Victron says the unit will not cool properly unless mounted upright. wouldn't take much to relocate like 7gentex
And technically, Victron calls for mounting on a non-combustible surface as well............I left an air gap behind mine.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 12:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Another option?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
The dc breakers sure is a good way to get the disconnect. The NEC codes he refers to are for systems in building over 30 volts. If the Dc disconnect was required by code, then ETI would have to install it at the factory. I certainly not saying that the DC breaker is a bad idea, but there several ways to get a disconnect. plywood over panels, switch, breaker, fuse. simple wire disconnection.
I just read the blog below, which discusses "main branch disconnects" in vehicles such as police cars. There is mention of a device that acts as a circuit breaker and disconnect switch. There are 6 options, rated from 10 amps to 60 amps. Is there any advantage to using this device in an RV versus a conventional circuit breaker or a shut-off in a lower amperage application such as PV?

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4907...22-Disconnect/

https://info.waytekwire.com/blog/con...ource=hs_email
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2023, 01:38 PM   #24
SRS

Trailer: 2022 Escape 17A, 2021 F-150 3.5L Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
I just read the blog below, which discusses "main branch disconnects" in vehicles such as police cars. There is mention of a device that acts as a circuit breaker and disconnect switch. There are 6 options, rated from 10 amps to 60 amps. Is there any advantage to using this device in an RV versus a conventional circuit breaker or a shut-off in a lower amperage application such as PV?

https://www.waytekwire.com/item/4907...22-Disconnect/

https://info.waytekwire.com/blog/con...ource=hs_email
I would refer you to the video below from Explorists Life. Maybe there is no single correct answer and there are lots of opinions on the subject. Choose what's most comfortable for you. Space limitation might be a factor in your decision. Ideally, you should have a way to disconnect your roof solar, as well as your battery from the Victron Controller if that's what you have and probably best practice for other solar controllers as well.
SRS is online now   Reply With Quote