Cargo Carrier on Back Bumper - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2014, 05:20 PM   #1

Trailer: none
Cargo Carrier on Back Bumper

Anyone out there using a back bumper hitch mounted carrier? We are looking for one that folds up to use on the back of our 5.0 Classic. Interested in what others might be doing.
We are considering the Draw-Tite Hitch Cargo Carrier #6502
20x48 Pro Series Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Steel - Folding - 500 lbs Pro Series Hitch Cargo Carrier 6502
Sold both 7/22
FMLNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 05:36 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
My concern in choosing a cargo carrier was the weight of the carrier itself ( plus what you put on it ). The one I got was 38 lbs; the one you link to is 50 lbs.
Another concern that I have is the torquing of the carrier in the "bike ready hitch receiver". I've driven a couple wedges ( for axe handles ) into the receiver to try to reduce twisting. I have to wonder if the folding feature might not increase such twisting.
And, I originally had my box attached to the carrier with U-bolts, until I discovered that I couldn't get the spare tire off using a cross-shape wrench. I now have it held on with a ratcheting strap.
Attached Thumbnails
Storage box.jpg  
Old 10-23-2014, 05:40 PM   #3

We too are wary of the weight. Do you know the brand/model of the carrier you are using?
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-23-2014, 05:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
This one is only 28 lbs, and more expensive.
19x60 Curt Cargo Carrier for 2" Hitches - Aluminum - Folding - 500 lbs Curt Hitch Cargo Carrier C18100
I got mine at etrailer.com but I don't see it there now.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:22 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
It would probably be prudent to verify the tongue to total weight ratio after installing and loading a cargo carrier. It is surprising how much anything added to the back of the trailer can effect tongue weight and, consequently, trailer handling.
Old 10-23-2014, 06:50 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a coupon from Harbor Freight for an all aluminum cargo carrier for $50... 500# capacity. Weighs about 32 lbs.

Is this what you're talking about?
Attached Thumbnails
carrier.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
I found that loading bicycles on the back of our 21 gave a 2 to 1 ratio for the tongue weight using our original bike rack. Another wards, loading 80 lbs on the back reduced our tongue weight by 40 lbs. I haven't checked the ratio using our current bike rack. The farther aft your weight is, the more affect it will have on the tongue weight.
Tom

PS; Donna, I looked at the unit from Harbor Freight and found it to be very loose in their 2" receiver. I didn't buy it so I can't report on how it fits in the Escape receiver. They all seem to differ to some degree. Funny how two inches isn't always two inches. Tolerances do matter!
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 07:35 PM   #8

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Cpaharley had posted about gizmo that tightens up loose receiver connections in the not too distant past, he might know if they actually work.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
Tom

PS; Donna, I looked at the unit from Harbor Freight and found it to be very loose in their 2" receiver. I didn't buy it so I can't report on how it fits in the Escape receiver. They all seem to differ to some degree. Funny how two inches isn't always two inches. Tolerances do matter!
TMI.. two inches? hahahhahahahaha

I'm sorry.. I'm female.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAfraser View Post
I found that loading bicycles on the back of our 21 gave a 2 to 1 ratio for the tongue weight using our original bike rack. Another wards, loading 80 lbs on the back reduced our tongue weight by 40 lbs. I haven't checked the ratio using our current bike rack. The farther aft your weight is, the more affect it will have on the tongue weight.
Tom

OK. Given Donna's humor, I'm treading lightly!
I did buy the carrier from Harbor Freight for my trip to Chilliwack next May. Need to get all my camping equipment out there for the extended trip home. I measured and mine (the luggage rack, that is) is just under 2-inches. It does fit well in the receiver of the F150. I have found it is easy to eliminate rattle by pounding a Popsicle stick into the receiver like a small wedge to take up any slop.
I will transport it home in the "bike ready" receiver (don't know how tight a fit that will be) but will not use it on the Escape after that. I plan to sell it after it serves its one-time purpose, essentially 4 or 5 days of use. If it hadn't cost me over $100, I would discard it after taking delivery of my trailer.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:57 PM   #11

Thanks for all the input. We don't plan to put heavy stuff back there, thus we are looking at one of the smaller carriers (in the 20"x45" range)...our current pin weight on our 5.0 is 720 which is 21% of the trailer weight so we have a little leeway since it should be between 15 and 25% if I recall correctly for the 5.0 Classic. And lightening our pin weight would be a good thing as far as total payload for the tow vehicle is concerned.
We'd like something that folds up so that we can back up fully into our parking location at home and also to get it out of the way when not in use. Need to be mindful of the spare tire also...
We are hoping to gather as much firsthand experience as possible from our fellow Escape owners.
Sold both 7/22
Old 10-23-2014, 10:00 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
OK. Given Donna's humor, I'm treading lightly!
I did buy the carrier from Harbor Freight for my trip to Chilliwack next May. Need to get all my camping equipment out there for the extended trip home. I measured and mine (the luggage rack, that is) is just under 2-inches. It does fit well in the receiver of the F150. I have found it is easy to eliminate rattle by pounding a Popsicle stick into the receiver like a small wedge to take up any slop.
I will transport it home in the "bike ready" receiver (don't know how tight a fit that will be) but will not use it on the Escape after that. I plan to sell it after it serves its one-time purpose, essentially 4 or 5 days of use. If it hadn't cost me over $100, I would discard it after taking delivery of my trailer.
Out of curiosity, can you not fit your gear ion the back of your truck? Seems that the hitch rack plus the truck bed would be overkill, even if gearing up a new Escape.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Out of curiosity, can you not fit your gear ion the back of your truck? Seems that the hitch rack plus the truck bed would be overkill, even if gearing up a new Escape.
The short answer is no. Extended cab will be crammed full, 5th wheel hitch takes up a lot of space in bed, rest of available bed space taken up by diamond plate toolbox installed in front of bed and action packers (2) behind hitch. Without luggage rack I cannot take the Weber Q100 and its tote. Since grill is used 2 out of 3 days, not having it is not an option. Other choice was renting U-Haul at $249 plus extra gasoline cost and put everything in the U-Haul, or buy $100 luggage carrier. Can sell it and recoup some of cost, won't get any U-Haul rental money back.......no brainer for me.
Old 10-24-2014, 06:48 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
It will not work fold up on the Escape due to the spare tire issue and yes you will need a hitch anti wobble set up also. I sold mine when I sold my first Escape do not plan on getting another one.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
I put a steel built one on the back of my old 15A.Caused me some grief when,speeding down the highway[110 Km/phr].I got quite a bit of sway.I also had that loose connection at the hitch.Best fix for me was 1 on each end racheted back to the bumper 1 1/2 Strap.Remember when nylon get's wet it strectches
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2014, 07:24 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If I wanted to carry something on the back I would do as some of the owners and have 2 additional receivers welded on to give you a 3 point connection which would make the platform very sturdy.
Old 10-24-2014, 08:12 AM   #17

Trailer: 2011 Escape 15A/2015 21 coming in march
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian P View Post
I put a steel built one on the back of my old 15A.Caused me some grief when,speeding down the highway[110 Km/phr].I got quite a bit of sway.I also had that loose connection at the hitch.Best fix for me was 1 on each end racheted back to the bumper 1 1/2 Strap.Remember when nylon get's wet it strectches
Forgot to add this I had my 2 /20 propane always full & 2 12 volt batteries.Which really helped with the stability.Would I do it again NO ..By the time I got what I wanted to carry back there 100watt gen.5 lit gas gas bbq & 5 lb propane bottle.My centre of the trailer weight was just barely safe.Took it off,added up the exp./knowledge..Rember this was a single axle trailer.Weight dist.is critical imo..
WLYBGR is offline   Reply With Quote