changing the door lock? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2020, 09:32 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
changing the door lock?

Hi all you helpful ET travelers!

I'm currently finishing up some shopping in preparation to go get our 21NE in November.

What's the consensus on changing the door lock that comes standard with the 21NE or I guess any of the trailers? I've seen some pretty frightening things about other keys opening up doors and and locks very easily picked.

I searched a lot of threads about changing to the RVlocks TV4.

Can you weigh in if you have or have not changed your door lock and why?

Kindly, M
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama View Post

I'm currently finishing up some shopping in preparation to go get our 21NE in November.

What's the consensus on changing the door lock that comes standard with the 21NE or I guess any of the trailers? I've seen some pretty frightening things about other keys opening up doors and and locks very easily picked.

Kindly, M
Hi: TravelMama... Why? Eventually our keys are having trouble unlocking our door. "Locks are only there for honest people". They only slow down thieves. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:44 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
I have never really worried about someone breaking into my trailer, but then I usually stay in established campgrounds. I did change my lock out and added the RV lock only so I didn’t need to carry a key.
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
I have never really worried about someone breaking into my trailer, but then I usually stay in established campgrounds. I did change my lock out and added the RV lock only so I didn’t need to carry a key.
Did the same thing for the same reason !
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

I've seen some pretty frightening things about other keys opening up doors and and locks very easily picked.
You may be confusing the door lock with the hatch lock. The door keys are individual keys, the hatch lock is good old CH 751 and it opens most RV hatches. I've never bothered changing it, seems like a low threat to me. Those locks with different key numbers are readily available should you wish to change it at any time in the future.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 11:59 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:

Kindly, M
I had heard the same thing on the Casita forum so I decided to do a quick test. I had just brought the Escape home and had it parked next the Casita. I took the Casita door key and unlocked / locked the Escape and did the same using the Escape key with the Casita.

They both had the same key! I right away ordered the RVLock to replace it and trashed the lock that came with the trailer.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
There are a limited set of cuts for door keys. I dropped off my Escape & the shop crew told me that they would have no problem opening the locked door. As others have mentioned, the CH751 key is used in almost all the different brands of trailer hatch locks...
Old 10-03-2020, 12:14 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
All of which is a moot point because anyone going through a campground with intent to B&E a trailer wouldn't bother trying to pick locks etc. One quick snap with a pry bar and the door is open. Or a whack on the door window with a ceramic tool and the tempered glass quietly crumples to the ground and they reach inside and unlatch the door.

Just not worth worrying about. We do, however, use a bit of common sense about where we leave the trailer unattended.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 01:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The more effort the thieves have to make, the more damage they are likely to do, and that can be more costly than any loss.
Old 10-03-2020, 06:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Hi! Thanks for the input. No, I'm not thinking of the hatch lock. I'm ordering ABUS for those I think.

Definitely heard that about the door lock. Ok time to order the RVlock I guess. RVlock V4? Isn't that what most Escape trailer owners use?

Thanks again,
M
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:22 PM   #11

Trailer: 2017 19 foot sold, 2022 21C
Quote:
Hi! Thanks for the input. No, I'm not thinking of the hatch lock. I'm ordering ABUS for those I think.

Definitely heard that about the door lock. Ok time to order the RVlock I guess. RVlock V4? Isn't that what most Escape trailer owners use?

Thanks again,
M
If you can hold off until thanksgiving time frame RV lock has a 40% sale on their products and yes it is the 4.0
diannelgraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:39 PM   #12

Trailer: 2021 21C
The other advantage to RVlock is that you can also buy replacement locks for your outside hatches that are all keyed alike and match the door key. Only one key to carry. It's on my to-do list.

Don
DWM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 07:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by diannelgraham View Post
If you can hold off until thanksgiving time frame RV lock has a 40% sale on their products and yes it is the 4.0
What are the reasons for choosing the 4.0 over the Compact RVLock?
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:40 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape 21NE
Here is what I have been able to find out. The standard lock on the trailers is made by a company called Global Link. Their lock has 100 different key combinations. Any global link key will open any locked handle. But only the correctly keyed will open the deadbolt. So, if you use the deadbolt, there is only a 1 in 100 chance that somebody else that has a global link lock will be able to open your deadbolt.

One thing we just did is buy matching cargo hatch locks for our global link key. There is a code on the key and you can use it to purchase additional locks that are keyed the same as the door.
Amel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 08:59 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amel View Post
Here is what I have been able to find out. The standard lock on the trailers is made by a company called Global Link. Their lock has 100 different key combinations. Any global link key will open any locked handle. But only the correctly keyed will open the deadbolt. So, if you use the deadbolt, there is only a 1 in 100 chance that somebody else that has a global link lock will be able to open your deadbolt.

One thing we just did is buy matching cargo hatch locks for our global link key. There is a code on the key and you can use it to purchase additional locks that are keyed the same as the door.
You learn something everyday! I didn't know that the handle lock was common keyed. At least the deadbolt lock is 1 in 100 but in my case, it didn't matter.

When I bought the Escape, I had it parked next to our Casita (now sold) and had heard that there was a limited set of keys that fit our door locks. As a test, I took the Casita key and opened the deadbolt lock on the Escape then did the same with the Escape key to the Casita. Oops! Both of them opened! Oh well, new RVlock ordered for the Escape and problem solved. I guess I was the 1 in 100 case.
Old 12-07-2020, 10:45 AM   #16

Trailer: , Bigfoot 25B25RT, previously 2019 Escape 21, and Castia sd17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjbny View Post
What are the reasons for choosing the 4.0 over the Compact RVLock?
I ordered the compact lock during the black friday sale and received it yesterday. I thought the size of the compact looked better than the 4.0. RVLOCK states that the 4.0 is stronger, my take is that if someone really wanted to enter the camper, if they struggle with the lock they will just break a window. I can tell you that the compact feels pretty substantial.I should have it installed later in the week.
buellfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 02:40 PM   #17

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by buellfire View Post
I ordered the compact lock during the black friday sale and received it yesterday. I thought the size of the compact looked better than the 4.0. RVLOCK states that the 4.0 is stronger, my take is that if someone really wanted to enter the camper, if they struggle with the lock they will just break a window. I can tell you that the compact feels pretty substantial.I should have it installed later in the week.
The FAQ's on the RVLock site say the material on the compact is lighter. Is that what you meant by saying the 4.0 is "stronger". Sometimes lighter doesn't always mean weaker.
"Q. What is the difference between the V4 and Keyless Compact?

A. The RVLock V4 and Keyless Compact handles both offer a wireless fob and keypad entrance. While the Keyless Compact fits on the same doors the V4 fits, it is meant for special doors that have a full window entry. The Keyless Compact features a square design that differs from the V4's teardrop appearance. In addition, our Compact handle is made of a lighter weight material and has shared keypad buttons."
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:37 AM   #18

Trailer: Reflection 287RLTS 2020
I always change the locks when I buy new RV(I did this 2 times) because I do not trust those locks and I always thought the locks you got by standard can be easily tracked on the manufacturer website or any other type of documentation. Gladly this process is quite easy and I call a 24 hour emergency locksmith near me to do this for me.
Authority924 is offline   Reply With Quote