Collection of info about replacing the SDS2 stove with a Dometic D21 - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-22-2022, 03:34 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape 2021 17B
The D21 stove top glass cover lifts and leans back against the wall. In order to close the glass cover you must slightly lift it then fold down. I don't think there is any way for it to accidentally fold back down while you are cooking. Having said that make sure you close the lid before leaving your campsite
sciteach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2022, 08:06 AM   #42

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
From the OP of the thread: Remarkable. All this time to find that it is a defective part! As it had to be, given that the 4500 feet stuff was pure BS!
So which part is defective on the D21? My D21 is in the mail as of yesterday.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 07:18 PM   #43

Today was fitting day for our D21 including fitting ignitor wire pigtails to the barely accessible terminal block connections. For side spacers I used cutting board material of which I have several thicknesses from Walmart for projects just like this.

The propane supply hose is turning out to be problematic because it is too short as currently installed to reach the D21 connection. The only extension hose I have found is of a smaller diameter than the existing hose and I don't want to add a restriction the supply line with the smaller hose. It's possible to reroute the original supply hose but it would then course through storage space with no possibility of anchoring it to structure prior to connecting it to the stove which would then add weight and vibration transfer to the stove connection. Not sure what I'll do about this.

Has anyone solved the short supply hose issue on a 21C?

John
Old 07-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
John- can you send a photo of your existing hose?
Old 07-27-2022, 07:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
John- can you send a photo of your existing hose?
The photo is attached. The hose comes out of the floor and the forward part of the cabinet aisle side.

John
Attached Thumbnails
9D09AD92-C778-4170-9006-AE702FD7E49F.jpg  
Old 07-27-2022, 08:36 PM   #46

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
Today was fitting day for our D21 including fitting ignitor wire pigtails to the barely accessible terminal block connections. For side spacers I used cutting board material of which I have several thicknesses from Walmart for projects just like this.

The propane supply hose is turning out to be problematic because it is too short as currently installed to reach the D21 connection. The only extension hose I have found is of a smaller diameter than the existing hose and I don't want to add a restriction the supply line with the smaller hose. It's possible to reroute the original supply hose but it would then course through storage space with no possibility of anchoring it to structure prior to connecting it to the stove which would then add weight and vibration transfer to the stove connection. Not sure what I'll do about this.

Has anyone solved the short supply hose issue on a 21C? John
What I did was go to a farmer supply/hardware place where they made me up an additional 20 inch length of hose with compressed fittings. However, they did not have in stock 3/8" flared connections. I had to go with 1/4". The guy who does this stuff assured me that I would not notice any difference in the size of the flame to the burners. As far as I can ascertain, he was right.

That said, I did have a major propane leak right from the get go. What now? I wondered. The smell set off the propane detector and my two hand held detectors. I dashed out front and turned the propane off. After dousing the various connections with gas leak detection solution, I found the source of the leak. Image attached. As you can see the elbow connection to the regulator was not coated with something like Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound. Why Dometic would let stoves out without the proper sealant on this important connection is beyond me. I removed the elbow, which BTW was only hand tight and brushed on a coat of joint compound. Turned the propane tank back on and the detectors did not go nuts. What ever happened to quality control anyway?

It would have been 'nice' if Escape informed their customers who are subject to the Suburban recall that the gas line is too short re: the 21C and the Dometic. But that is too much to expect from this outfit.
Attached Thumbnails
20220718_133733.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #47

Thank you Telescopist for your information. I'll go to our farm supply store and see whether I can get a length of hose made up. I'm not worried about smaller hose gas volume at lower altitudes but we camp at 10K feet several times a year and I want to eliminate too small a supply hose as cause for an inoperative cooktop at high altitude.

John
Old 07-28-2022, 01:39 PM   #48

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
What I did was go to a farmer supply/hardware place where they made me up an additional 20 inch length of hose with compressed fittings. However, they did not have in stock 3/8" flared connections. I had to go with 1/4". The guy who does this stuff assured me that I would not notice any difference in the size of the flame to the burners. As far as I can ascertain, he was right.

That said, I did have a major propane leak right from the get go. What now? I wondered. The smell set off the propane detector and my two hand held detectors. I dashed out front and turned the propane off. After dousing the various connections with gas leak detection solution, I found the source of the leak. Image attached. As you can see the elbow connection to the regulator was not coated with something like Oatey Great White Pipe Joint Compound. Why Dometic would let stoves out without the proper sealant on this important connection is beyond me. I removed the elbow, which BTW was only hand tight and brushed on a coat of joint compound. Turned the propane tank back on and the detectors did not go nuts. What ever happened to quality control anyway?

It would have been 'nice' if Escape informed their customers who are subject to the Suburban recall that the gas line is too short re: the 21C and the Dometic. But that is too much to expect from this outfit.
The supply line in my 5.0 comes up in the front with zero slack. If I'm reading this correctly I will need an extension hose with a 3/8" male on one end to connect to the supply and the 3/8" female on the other to connect to the new D21. Is that correct?
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2022, 02:07 PM   #49

Yes Mike you are correct about the 3'8 inch sizes on both the male and female fittings. Additionally those fittings need to be flared fittings.

Attached is a photo of my supply hose connected up without an extension. It is obviously too short with too much of a tight curve and places an excessive amount of pre-load on the stove regulator fitting. I will not leave it connected this way but will instead source an extension. I've found something less than ideal on Amazon but am not prepared to buy it just yet before I try to source what I want locally.

John
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4117.jpg  
Old 07-28-2022, 04:23 PM   #50

Quote:
Yes Mike you are correct about the 3'8 inch sizes on both the male and female fittings. Additionally those fittings need to be flared fittings.

Attached is a photo of my supply hose connected up without an extension. It is obviously too short with too much of a tight curve and places an excessive amount of pre-load on the stove regulator fitting. I will not leave it connected this way but will instead source an extension. I've found something less than ideal on Amazon but am not prepared to buy it just yet before I try to source what I want locally.

John
That is definitely a stretch. I was at least 6 inches short. The reason I had the farmer's supply place cut me a 20 inch piece is because I wanted to be able to attach it horizontally on the divider between the stove side and the drawer side. The I curled back to the regulator and attached it also to the back. It is out of the way and there isn't any stress on the fittings.
Old 07-28-2022, 04:28 PM   #51

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
That is definitely a stretch. I was at least 6 inches short. The reason I had the farmer's supply place cut me a 20 inch piece is because I wanted to be able to attach it horizontally on the divider between the stove side and the drawer side. The I curled back to the regulator and attached it also to the back. It is out of the way and there isn't any stress on the fittings.
Very smart move.....
Old 07-28-2022, 07:12 PM   #52

Thing Change

Wasn't very long ago that the Opinion Leaders here insisted the supply line had to be a continuous run of copper pipe. When replacing my fridge I had to use a rubber hose as the existing line near the outside vent wasn't long enough. Had to check with a reputable source to find out that yes it is ok.

I wouldn't join the existing rubber hose with another however. Instead it seems much better to replace it with one piece that will reach. Kinda hard to check those fittings when buried.
Old 07-28-2022, 07:41 PM   #53

Quote:
I wouldn't join the existing rubber hose with another however. Instead it seems much better to replace it with one piece that will reach. Kinda hard to check those fittings when buried.
1."Those fittings" will not be buried and will be in plain sight in the cabinet under the stove where we store pots and pans which are used every day.

2.Replacing with one single hose is easier said than done. In my trailer this supply hose tees into propane tubing outside curbside underneath, then goes inside and snakes around beneath curbside cabinet floors, underneath the main aisle floor before finally emerging from under the floor inside the cabinet beneath the stove.

I'll be adding an extension with one additional fitting where it is easily seen and not buried.

John
Old 07-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:

John
Thanks!

Quote:
Wasn't very long ago that the Opinion Leaders here insisted the supply line had to be a continuous run of copper pipe. When replacing my fridge I had to use a rubber hose as the existing line near the outside vent wasn't long enough. Had to check with a reputable source to find out that yes it is ok.

I agree it’s less than ideal to connect two hoses instead of a continuous run. I won’t rule out that possibility in the future but for now I’m not digging through the foam and fishing a new line in just to avoid it. I wouldn’t mind if Escape would leave a bit of slack in their runs, both propane and electric instead of the bare minimum what often makes repairs or modifications a pain. Mine will be a bit less accessible in the microwave cabinet but I will run the sniffer in there periodically.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 07:23 AM   #55

Quote:

I haven't met the Opinion Leaders. Who are they? I have read some opinions that seem to make sense: some not so much.

The additional gas line to make up for the shortage uses the same robust rubber hose as what comes out of the floor in the base cabinet. The farmer supply place uses compressed fittings. If they can fix hydraulic line for harvesters, backhoes, etc. I'm confident they can fix propane gas line.

I have not seen 'plain' copper pipe used as a gas supply conduit. And that perhaps is not what you are referencing. I have used 1/2" OD x +/- 75' in one continuous run of Yellow Polyethylene Jacketed Copper Tubing for LP Gas Service in 4 different apartment buildings. It came into vogue with the HVAC contractors back in the late 1990's. Several Old School guys stuck to black pipe for years until they finally saw the light.

Tearing up the floor as was previously mention was not an option.
Old 07-29-2022, 08:51 AM   #56

Old 08-10-2022, 06:04 PM   #57

Not satisfied with the 1/4 inch stainless braided extension hose both because of the size as well as the second interior connection, I located where the original interior supply hose exits the trailer curbside underneath and found a tag on the hose with a part number I6C48FS6FS6. Research online revealed that this is a Fairview part number for a 3/8 inch ID hose 48 inches long with 3/8 inch female flared fittings on both ends.

So I went to my local propane dealer who said they could order a 120 inch (10 foot) length which is a standard size but if I wanted a different length I'd have to pay much more. So I ordered the 10 foot hose and have installed it, rerouting the extra length around the cabinet areas beneath the stove. Now I have a 3/8 inch ID supply hose connected directly to the cooktop, eliminating the extra connection.

The exterior end of the hose connects underneath curbside above and behind the rear axle to what I believe is a 3/8 inch shrouded copper tube which crosses underneath to street side where it tees into the main propane supply. Access to the hose connection for me required jacking up the curbside of the trailer and removing the front wheel, then placing jack stands for safety. (See attached photo of the location.)

In retrospect the video Karl put out showing how to enlarge the counter opening to accept the Dometic D21 would have been much more valuable had it included a statement to the effect that the original hose would likely be too short accompanied by information about the hose part number. The counter opening enlargement was the easy part. Sourcing the correct supply hose was the hard part and was left out of the video. Pity.

John
Attached Thumbnails
Curbside Hose to Copper Tube Connection.jpg  
Old 08-10-2022, 06:29 PM   #58

Trailer: 17B
I notice discussions regarding short propane hoses and saw a picture of a propane hose bent at a tight angle. I advice against putting any undue stress on these rubber hoses. Today we took our 2018 17B out after a 2-year hiatus. Upon turning on the propane tank we could smell the mercaptan. A couple hours later, we found that the propane hose on the exterior of the camper behind the ref ridge had busted! I've included a picture to show the carnage. I think this is something we all should be aware of. Not sure how to remedy and open to suggestions!

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5487.jpg  
efal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:38 PM   #59

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
The corner pieces- 4 little metal corners- anyone have any idea what their purpose is?
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 07:11 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
The corner pieces- 4 little metal corners- anyone have any idea what their purpose is?
No purpose related to the installation.