Collection of info about replacing the SDS2 stove with a Dometic D21 - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-03-2022, 08:40 AM   #81

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post
If it has 3/8" fittings then its probably a 3/8" hose. However, hardware stores usually do not sell rubber propane hose unless they are the farm supply type. Check out post #75 by JohnP. Is what you have rubber or is it flex yellow hose which the box stores and hardware stores sell?

Thanks for the response. It is rubber. They had a supply of hoses for connecting propane tanks to grills, etc., not specifically RVs. When you say farm store, something like a Rural King or Tractor Supply?
Old 09-03-2022, 09:24 AM   #82

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Thanks for the response. It is rubber. They had a supply of hoses for connecting propane tanks to grills, etc., not specifically RVs.
You have a good hardware store!

Quote:
When you say farm store, something like a Rural King or Tractor Supply?
Yep. Fun place just to kill some time and cruise the aisles. One of the farm stores I go to has an entire row of different types of fuel nozzles, hoses, tanks, etc. I know where to go if I want to purchase a fuel transfer pump and tank...
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:43 PM   #83

Well, Tractor Supply and Rural King were a bust, so I decided to go ahead and use the hose that I got at Menards. I had already cut out the corners leaving 1/8 inch as suggested and test fit the stove. It was finally time to work up enough courage to tackle extending the propane tube, putting aside my fear of blowing myself up. I made the connections fine, putting a loop in the hose like someone suggested. And attached the wires for the ignition. Just as I was finishing, I blew a fuse. No problem, I had already bought fuses to keep on hand. Where the hell did I put them? Ten minutes later, I found them, but, they were for cars/trucks, not the same as the ones in the trailer. So now I have to go to Camping World or somewhere to buy fuses. I decided to wait until tomorrow. Now, some people would turn to alcohol at a time like this, but I dance to different music, I had an ice cream bar.
Thanks for all the help.
Old 09-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #84

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Which fuse was it? And what kind? They looked like the usual car/truck type to me. (I think we also blew a fuse but I haven't worried about it.)
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie54 View Post
Which fuse was it? And what kind? They looked like the usual car/truck type to me. (I think we also blew a fuse but I haven't worried about it.)
Not sure which fuse, but all the fuses are twice as large as the ones I bought. Oh and none of the lights work. I tried the circuit breakers to no avail.
Old 09-03-2022, 09:33 PM   #86

Hmm, interesting. Mine is just the sparker not working. I hope you can find the right fuse(s).
Old 09-03-2022, 10:31 PM   #87

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Not sure which fuse, but all the fuses are twice as large as the ones I bought. Oh and none of the lights work. I tried the circuit breakers to no avail.
That's typical, there are two sizes. Once you've seen what you have you'd recognize whether you needed large or small. But buying some without knowing is kind of a crap shoot.

My truck uses both sizes so I keep both on hand.

Now about choosing the ice cream bar over the booze, works for me. A Magnum raspberry with double thick chocolate coating is in my very near future.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 08:51 PM   #88

Yay. Mission accomplished. Replaced the fuse and finished the stovetop install. Tested the ignition and it worked. We have flame and no leaks detected. Thanks to everyone for your tips and insights.
Old 09-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #89

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
So to all those who have upgraded to Dometic D21 from the Suburban SDS2, how is the new cooking experience?
How would you rate the upgrade.
Easier to clean?
it certainly looks more heavy-duty.
MarkinVan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:23 AM   #90

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
So to all those who have upgraded to Dometic D21 from the Suburban SDS2, how is the new cooking experience?
Easier to clean?
I would not say it is heavy-duty by any stretch of the imagination.
In fact with only one hole in the middle of each side of the thin metal it bends before applying good pressure around the stove to seal it to the countertop. The Suburban with a clamp in each corner is a far better design.
The Suburban spark connector for the wires is also better placed as well as the gas hook up.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 10:37 AM   #91

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
Easier to clean?
Our cooking experience has been very good all the way from 1500 ft elevation to 10,000 ft and in between. We like the grate. Cleaning is easy. Like the spark button and valve action.

I avoided bending the frame at the fastening points by not over tightening the screws. They’re there mainly for lateral support. If for some reason my trailer goes inverted I think they’ll still hold.

So far I would rate the D21 as far superior to the Suburban for why we had to make the change. It has good structural support at the gas connection whereas the Suburban gas connection support is still totally reliable for support on the gas manifold and what are now SS tubes going to the burner valves. That design is still dangerous and should be a code breaker.

I returned our Suburban to Suburban in the Dometic carton and delighted in doing so.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #92

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For future reference the Escape trailers WFCO power center DC section accepts “regular” size ATO/ATC blade type fuses. The smaller ATM mini fuses are not used anywhere in the trailers. Modern cars and trucks might use both so it’s a good idea to carry an assortment while on the road.
Old 09-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #93

I don't use the stove much but I definitely like that the heat shield is more secure and hopefully will not keep coming loose and blocking the drawer from opening. I like the grate, too. Otherwise- I don't use the stove much.
Old 09-06-2022, 02:52 PM   #94

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
For future reference the Escape trailers WFCO power center DC section accepts “regular” size ATO/ATC blade type fuses. The smaller ATM mini fuses are not used anywhere in the trailers. Modern cars and trucks might use both so it’s a good idea to carry an assortment while on the road.
I just replaced a 15 fuse with a mini. The blades were the same distance apart. Working fine so far.
Old 09-06-2022, 06:15 PM   #95

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I'm not sure that I'd do that except in an emergency.

It works if the smaller fuse is centered but if it vibrates to the side there would be very little contact with one of the legs. That could lead to the edge of the leg becoming the defacto fuse. Not good.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0007 (2)_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #96

Trailer: 2019 19' Escape
Lots of helpful info here. Thanks! I just sent off the link on Escape's site to order a D21 this morning. Got a return phone call this afternoon; I'd say that's good service so far.
I have not heard anything about the status of the old Suburban unit. Have you been returning them to Suburban for a "refund"?
rsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 04:06 PM   #97

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rsweden View Post
Lots of helpful info here. Thanks! I just sent off the link on Escape's site to order a D21 this morning. Got a return phone call this afternoon; I'd say that's good service so far.
I have not heard anything about the status of the old Suburban unit. Have you been returning them to Suburban for a "refund"?
So I called Airxcel, Suburban's parent company at 1-423-775-2131, ask to speak to someone about the SDS2 recall and was transferred to a CS rep.

Told the Customer Service rep that I had replaced my SDS2 with a Dometic D21 and the CS rep ask for my name, email & phone# and sent me an email shortly there after asking for a picture of the serial # of the cooktop and of the silver Trail VIN# Data Plate.

Once sent, I got a reply with their Purolator account# (Canadian Courier) and told to ship cooktop collect with Escape Recall Notice inside which I also emailed to the CS Rep.

The old suburban SDS2 fits perfectly into the Dometic D21 box for shipping. **

**Special thanks to Eggscape for all his the insights.

Also told reimbursement amount of $325.98 once processed.

Shipping today!
MarkinVan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 05:57 PM   #98

Thanks for the update and glad to hear that Escape is still selling the Dometic and Suburban is still giving the refund.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 11:43 AM   #99

Trailer: 2019 19' Escape
Thanks for your help!
rsweden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:49 PM   #100

Location: In my Escape...full time. Currently in Maine, Maine
I have a 2018 E19 with the copper supply line as well and will be installing the Dometic. How did you handle this with your install? Thinking maybe adding a short length of flexible hose to the copper line? Not sure if that is safe or recommended. Thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Thanks for the info.

I was also going to cut the corners so the stove was centred in the opening as well…why not.

I was also thinking that I might use theses wall anchors I have if there was insignificant wood to screw into. As pictured below.

Our model 19 built in 2018 has cooper tubing running to the stove so the install will not be that simple.
CarlNH is offline   Reply With Quote