Collection of info about replacing the SDS2 stove with a Dometic D21 - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2022, 11:34 AM   #121

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
I like that the heat guard is actually attached and unlikely to come loose and interfere with the drawers as the Suburban one did. And In some ways prefer the burners- though my old coffee pot won't work on them as it is too small.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2022, 03:36 PM   #122

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Thanks to everyone that provided helpful hints on the Dometic D21 installation. I finally put off my procrastination and installed mine today.
Took the advice of adding leads to the igniter wires for easier hookup, and used my offset screwdriver to tighten the leads (which were well marked as to which was positive and negative).

I used the measurements in the manual to cut the corners, but just a smidge tighter. Stove dropped in fine, until I added the spacers in the corners, and then I had to go back and cut just a smidge more to fit, but it's nice and snug. (better to cut too small than cut too large)

Fortunately, the propane hose on my 2020 19' was already long enough to reach the new inlet easily, so I didn't need an adapter or extension.

I like that it's almost impossible to turn the burners on accidentally while cleaning, which was too easy to do with the Suburban (just one of a couple reasons I decided to get the Dometic).

Pretty blue flame, too.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20221215_154015.jpg   IMG_20221215_154104.jpg  
Old 01-21-2023, 08:16 PM   #123

Trailer: 2007 escape
Can’t find rv shop to replace SDS2

I’ve been looking around the mid south region for a certified rv repair shop, and they all say they will not work on an Escape Industries trailer. Suburban says I need to find one with little help on alternative solutions.

Escape says essentially “Not our problem, take it up with Suburban. I understand it’s a design flaw by Suburban and they are responsible. But ETI engineers should have known that aluminum tubing in rv cooktops is almost Darwin Award worthy.

The Escape agent agreed that it was a fatal flaw their engineers should have caught, but they missed it. Still not their problem.

What I was hoping for was a little help finding a service shop who would work on an ETI trailer. Still say it’s not their problem, go to Suburban.

Any one know of a service center in mid south that will work on an Escape? I’m in north Mississippi.

On a sidebar - I am a management professor, writer, coach, etc. I’m keyed on their management philosophy and its impact on customer relationships. When management focuses on financial and production metrics, inevitably employees take a back seat just after customers do. Then they get kicked off the bus altogether. You can see it happen all around. It’s as predictable as sunup. When I saw the buck passing from them with no interest in solving a potentially fatal problem, I began to wonder if there had been a management change.
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:18 PM   #124

Trailer: 2007 escape
Anyone know a mid south service center to work on Escape trailer?

I’ve been looking around the mid south region for a certified rv repair shop, and they all say they will not work on an Escape Industries trailer. Suburban says I need to find one with little help on alternative solutions.

Escape says essentially “Not our problem, take it up with Suburban. I understand it’s a design flaw by Suburban and they are responsible. But ETI engineers should have known that aluminum tubing in rv cooktops is almost Darwin Award worthy.

The Escape agent agreed that it was a fatal flaw their engineers should have caught, but they missed it. Still not their problem.

What I was hoping for was a little help finding a service shop who would work on an ETI trailer. Still say it’s not their problem, go to Suburban.

Any one know of a service center in mid south that will work on an Escape? I’m in north Mississippi.

On a sidebar - I am a management professor, writer, coach, etc. I’m keyed on their management philosophy and its impact on customer relationships. When management focuses on financial and production metrics, inevitably employees take a back seat just after customers do. Then they get kicked off the bus altogether. You can see it happen all around. It’s as predictable as sunup. When I saw the buck passing from them with no interest in solving a potentially fatal problem, I began to wonder if there had been a management change.
Katharine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 08:25 PM   #125

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
if I were you, and I’m not, I’d look for a mobile RV tech since they are not brand loyal. What towns are close?
Old 01-21-2023, 08:48 PM   #126

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Don’t know anything about them, but googled one in Olive Branch and one in Hernandez.

Town and Country Mobile RV Service. Olive Branch

Mid-South Mobile RV Repair. Hernando

One with bad reviews: Travelers Mobile RV Repair. Southaven

There are others in Memphis.

Further away: Butch's RV Repair & Mobile Service Rienzi
Old 01-21-2023, 09:32 PM   #127

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Are you replacing like for like. The same brand?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2023, 10:00 PM   #128
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Replacing a cooktop in an Escape is really no different from replacing one in any other RV. I found an RV repair shop in a nearby town that does not sell new RVs, so they have no problem working on whatever comes in. And they had no problem getting the replacement cooktop from Suburban. Escape reimbursed me for the installation charge. Do a little searching.
Old 01-22-2023, 11:54 AM   #129

Replacing a cook top with the same brand is deal easy. The problem seems to be that different people have had different experiences trying to get it done.

My first choice would have been to have them send the new one to me. I've done lots of gas and propane work and had my stove out previously so I know how easy it is. But they won't send the stove directly to you.

There has been a variety of experiences with RV shops. Some better than others. In my case I asked one about it and they quoted $75, a half hour minimum. They weren't the most pleasant outfit to deal with but I finally got it installed. They didn't even wipe it off and charged more than they quoted because they'd found out that ETI would pay more.

I heard after that that they weren't interested in doing anymore. Apparently having to phone the manufacturer and order it was too much work.

So maybe part of the reluctance by some RV places to do the work isn't because it's an Escape but because of previous dealings.

Ron
Old 01-22-2023, 02:32 PM   #130

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Replacing a cook top with the same brand is deal easy. The problem seems to be that different people have had different experiences trying to get it done.
Yes that is true, different people have had different experiences. However that in itself isn't necessarily a problem.

Quote:
My first choice would have been to have them send the new one to me. I've done lots of gas and propane work and had my stove out previously so I know how easy it is. But they won't send the stove directly to you.
When did the Escape company change their policy regarding this? In the recall notice I received on June 16th of last year they said: "The other option is to purchase an alternate replacement cooktop from Escape. The two cooktops on offer are the Dometic D21 (2 Burner Cooktop) and the Eno 3 Burner Cooktop. Escape will provide a rebate of 100 USD / 120 CAD if you choose to purchase either of these units."

I went ahead and purchased the D21 from Escape. Maybe you are referencing something else?

Quote:
There has been a variety of experiences with RV shops. Some better than others. In my case I asked one about it and they quoted $75, a half hour minimum. They weren't the most pleasant outfit to deal with but I finally got it installed. They didn't even wipe it off and charged more than they quoted because they'd found out that ETI would pay more.

I heard after that that they weren't interested in doing anymore. Apparently having to phone the manufacturer and order it was too much work.

So maybe part of the reluctance by some RV places to do the work isn't because it's an Escape but because of previous dealings.
Ron
These RV places may as you say be reluctant to take on this install. I was even more reluctant to drop my trailer off to one of them. Not that this was an option since all of the RV outfits in this area are buried in work.

There is a ton of information in several threads that will help any person who has doubts about their own talents and walk them through the process of removing the defective Suburban and replacing it with the D21.

This thread would be helpful for anyone who wants to take a stab at DIY: Collection of info about replacing the SDS2 stove with a Dometic D21
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 09:41 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telescopist View Post

When did the Escape company change their policy regarding this? In the recall notice I received on June 16th of last year they said: "The other option is to purchase an alternate replacement cooktop from Escape. The two cooktops on offer are the Dometic D21 (2 Burner Cooktop) and the Eno 3 Burner Cooktop. Escape will provide a rebate of 100 USD / 120 CAD if you choose to purchase either of these units."
I think that you may have confused two different situations. Yes, some folks did take the option and get a rebate and purchased different brands of stoves.

But, for folks like us, who do all our cooking in the trailer and like the SDS2 stove and only wanted it replaced with the new one, the process was have a dealer contact Suburban and order it on your behalf.

I think that a few lucky folks got Suburban to send the stove directly to them but that wasn't the policy. By the time I asked them to do that the answer was a firm no.

Ron
Old 01-23-2023, 07:04 AM   #132

Trailer: Escape 19 (July 2018) pulled by F-150 (3.5 ecoboost)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katharine View Post
Hang in there and you will find a shop/tech that will get it done for you. I, too, had difficulty finding someone to swap out old for new but in the end it worked out. And I agree that you will have best luck with a mobile tech/unaffiliated repair shop.

I first went to the mobile tech who did a warranty swap out on my Dometic fridge and he agreed to do the job. I had contacted Suburban and gave them all the info. they needed and all the had to do was contact them and request shipment. He never called, even after several reminders. I eventually told him I'd find someone else. The second was very interested in the job and ready to get to it but when I followed up for a cost estimate, his numbers added up to more than $500, which I quickly declined. The third worked out wonderfully and I'm ready to start this season with a new stove. And now I have a new tech for future maintenance.

Yes, swapping out a potentially dangerous stove was more of a hassel than it should have been. Overall, though, the trailer serves us well and we look forward many more miles and nights out in wonderful places.

Keep at it.
Old 01-23-2023, 09:11 AM   #133

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I think that you may have confused two different situations. Yes, some folks did take the option and get a rebate and purchased different brands of stoves.

But, for folks like us, who do all our cooking in the trailer and like the SDS2 stove and only wanted it replaced with the new one, the process was have a dealer contact Suburban and order it on your behalf.

I think that a few lucky folks got Suburban to send the stove directly to them but that wasn't the policy. By the time I asked them to do that the answer was a firm no.

Ron
Got it. I had already decided to install the D21 myself. That said, out of curiosity I contacted one of the largest RV dealers in this region. They had two excuses. 1. They are wrapped up with their own warranty work. Which I suspect is a lot considering what they sell. 2. They don't want the exposure to a lawsuit were something to go wrong with the installation. I had to dig #2 out of them.
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2023, 09:44 AM   #134

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainyescape View Post
A lot of what’s written in those threads and others have lots of complaints about Escape’s lack of transparency on the subject, and it doesn’t seem that they’ve contacted any owners yet. This seems, ummm, really crappy.
ETI put out a video a few months ago about replacement options for the SDS2 without mentioning why they are making a change:
https://youtu.be/DFMsI9qYdlw
You’d think they’d say something about them, oh, blowing up and injuring Escape owners.
Just trying to close the loop on this long, circuitous thread for anyone doing future searches. Below are links to the Suburban SDS2 cooktop recall information on the Escape website, as well as, a video discussing the recall. Another thank you to those that reported this issue to the appropriate agencies. It's the reason a recall was initiated and hopefully it has prevented anyone else from being injured.

**June 14, 2022
We would like to formally notify USA Escape customers that Suburban has registered a NHTSA Recall #22E-035 for the SDS2 2 Burner Drop-in Cooktop.
In accordance with the United States NHTSA requirements Escape Trailer Industries has also logged a NHTSA Vehicle Recall #22V-388
In accordance with Transport Canada requirements Escape has logged a vehicle recall 2022-281 (Canada does not have a separate equipment recall requirement)**
https://escapetrailer.com/recalls/
https://escapetrailer-5474298.hs-sit...ooktop-1?ecid=
https://escapetrailer-5474298.hs-sit...rop-in-cooktop
Old 01-30-2023, 03:36 PM   #135

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
One other item, if you do replace your SDS2 with the D21 yourself, don't forget to send your old SDS2 back to Suburban / Airxcell for the $329.00 US Rebate. The SDS2 fits nicely into the D21 box for shipping. Details post in this thread.
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2023, 06:48 PM   #136

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
One other item, if you do replace your SDS2 with the D21 yourself, don't forget to send your old SDS2 back to Suburban / Airxcell for the $329.00 US Rebate. The SDS2 fits nicely into the D21 box for shipping. Details post in this thread.
I was prepared to just purchase the D21 through Escape to avoid the hastle of getting a local RV dealer to order and replace the Suburban and just eat the cost myself.

I was happy to discover from the forums that Airxcel (Suburban) was reimbursing us the cost of the Suburban when we sent it back to them.

In the end, the D21 replacement was pretty simple for me, the total cost to obtain the D21 from Escape was $242.70 CDN ($177.74 USD) (includes shipping), and that was offset by the $325.98 USD check I received yesterday from Airexcel for the old Suburban. (I did pay about $19 to ship the stove to them)
Old 02-03-2023, 08:05 AM   #137

Trailer: 2019 E19
The saga of the Suburban SDS2 continues....FWC (FourwheelCampers, a truck camper builder) has posted on their Facebook page, a warning to owners that FWC has been approached by Suburban of a pending recall. The FWC rep indicates that all owners of FWC campers with the SDS2 are being notified of the anticipated recall and potential hazards. Resolution for FWC owners is still to be determined.
wackyburggeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:44 AM   #138

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
I did pay a reduced price and received my new Dometic D21 from Escape. However, had no luck returning the old one for $$$ as others have mentioned. All the numbers I call tell me to see a Suburan Service Center for a warranty recall.
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 08:51 AM   #139
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyburggeezer View Post
The saga of the Suburban SDS2 continues....FWC (FourwheelCampers, a truck camper builder) has posted on their Facebook page, a warning to owners that FWC has been approached by Suburban of a pending recall. The FWC rep indicates that all owners of FWC campers with the SDS2 are being notified of the anticipated recall and potential hazards. Resolution for FWC owners is still to be determined.
Can we assume this is a recall for the same problem as Escape owners experienced, and not a new one that would affect our replacement SDS2 cooktops?
Old 02-03-2023, 09:07 AM   #140

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I did pay a reduced price and received my new Dometic D21 from Escape. However, had no luck returning the old one for $$$ as others have mentioned. All the numbers I call tell me to see a Suburan Service Center for a warranty recall.
Suburban Manufacturing customer service at (866) 645-0658 They even paid the return shipping for me.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote