Collection of info about replacing the SDS2 stove with a Dometic D21 - Page 8 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2023, 09:08 AM   #141

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Can we assume this is a recall for the same problem as Escape owners experienced, and not a new one that would affect our replacement SDS2 cooktops?
I certainly wouldn't know the reason for this recall, but nothing would surprise me.

Besides not wanting some RV shop to do a stove install on our trailer, a major reason I went with the D21 replacement in lieu of the SDS2 is because I was and still am not convinced that simply replacing aluminum gas tubes with stainless steel tubes was going to solve the problem. On the SDS2, gas carrying tubes also serve as gas manifold structure. Stainless steel can crack too, just not as soon as aluminum. On the D21, a separate structural piece relieves gas carrying tubes from also having to serve as structure which in my humble opinion is a major step in preventing tube cracks.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:37 AM   #142

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Can we assume this is a recall for the same problem as Escape owners experienced, and not a new one that would affect our replacement SDS2 cooktops?
The original recall was 640 units and it was limited to Escapes. Suburban tried to pin it on the installation which was obvious wasn't the case. Clearly there have been issues with cooktops in other trailers. An owner of a Four Wheel Camper reported his explosion and was told the recall was limited only to Escapes! Suburban finally woke up and this recall is now expanded to include all 3031AST and 3032AST models which brings affected units to 28,536. Notice it says a remedy is still being evaluated at this time.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...yh5DAAzzh7Pdto

I'm not sure I would trust any SDS2 replacement from Suburban if the only change is aluminum tubes replaced with stainless steel. Personally I would replace the SDS2 with another cooktop if it was my trailer. Just for peace of mind if nothing else.
Old 02-03-2023, 10:50 AM   #143

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumboscott View Post
I did pay a reduced price and received my new Dometic D21 from Escape. However, had no luck returning the old one for $$$ as others have mentioned. All the numbers I call tell me to see a Suburan Service Center for a warranty recall.
I didn't call them but sent an email instead to orders@suburbanmfg.com. This was just over a month ago.

"We have been notified by Escape Trailer Industries that our Suburban SDS2 stove has been recalled.

What are our options, since we already replaced the stove with a different brand/model?
Our serial number is 18410#### Y

Thanks,"

They answered pretty quickly considering it was Christmas week.

"Suburban Labor Claims <laborclaims@airxcel.com>
Thu, Dec 29, 2022, 2:44 PM
to Suburban, me

Good afternoon,

We can reimburse for the stove in the amount of $325.98 but you will need to send the old one back to us first.

Suburban Manufacturing
676 Broadway Street
Dayton, TN 37321

Jessica McLean
Accounts Payable/Customer Service
Suburban, An Airxcel Brand
676 Broadway St
Dayton, TN 37321

Office: 423.775.7010
Fax: 423.775.7024
www.Airxcel.com"

I would do it quickly, before the expanded recall mentioned above might affect potential options.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:00 AM   #144

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
The original recall was 640 units and it was limited to Escapes. Suburban tried to pin it on the installation which was obvious wasn't the case. Clearly there have been issues with cooktops in other trailers. An owner of a Four Wheel Camper reported his explosion and was told the recall was limited only to Escapes! Suburban finally woke up and this recall is now expanded to include all 3031AST and 3032AST models which brings affected units to 28,536. Notice it says a remedy is still being evaluated at this time.
https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...yh5DAAzzh7Pdto

I'm not sure I would trust any SDS2 replacement from Suburban if the only change is aluminum tubes replaced with stainless steel. Personally I would replace the SDS2 with another cooktop if it was my trailer. Just for peace of mind if nothing else.
"Estimated percentage with defect - 100%" Yikes, that's a lot!
Old 02-03-2023, 11:32 AM   #145

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
If these two nuts stay tight on your new Suburban stove there should be no problem. Make sure there is no plastic cup washer between the nut and the stove like in the first one or the nut will slip loose. To make sure your nuts don’t slip loose you can add a lock washer to each. Keeping the nuts tight will secure the weight of the gas valve and the supply tubes will be just fine. This is a very simple fix for your new stove if it is required.

I did not get the replacement Suburban stove because no service center in my area wanted to do the paperwork or could do it within a 6 month time frame. With fresh tubes and locked nuts I would be perfectly satisfied with the replacement Suburban stove. Not getting the replacement Suburban stove I have no idea if the nut problem has been solved.

It is clear to me exactly what the problem was as I explained to Escape but I have yet to feel confident that Suburban understands the problem. If they do they are not admitting it.

Changing the tubes to stainless steal is nice but that will not fix the the problem if the nuts come loose and the gas valve is jumping up and down with every bump in the road.
Attached Thumbnails
19DBA273-E478-4BA0-8D58-6E41CC206E0A.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 12:35 PM   #146

Trailer: 2020 E21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
If these two nuts stay tight on your new Suburban stove there should be no problem. Make sure there is no plastic cup washer between the nut and the stove like in the first one or the nut will slip loose. To make sure your nuts don’t slip loose you can add a lock washer to each. Keeping the nuts tight will secure the weight of the gas valve and the supply tubes will be just fine. This is a very simple fix for your new stove if it is required.

I did not get the replacement Suburban stove because no service center in my area wanted to do the paperwork or could do it within a 6 month time frame. With fresh tubes and locked nuts I would be perfectly satisfied with the replacement Suburban stove. Not getting the replacement Suburban stove I have no idea if the nut problem has been solved.

It is clear to me exactly what the problem was as I explained to Escape but I have yet to feel confident that Suburban understands the problem. If they do they are not admitting it.

Changing the tubes to stainless steal is nice but that will not fix the the problem if the nuts come loose and the gas valve is jumping up and down with every bump in the road.
Any cooktop depending on those two nuts staying tight to keep gas tubes from cracking is an inferior design. No part of any gas plumbing assembly should ever be an integral part of its own structure. That includes those two nuts regardless of their ability to remain tight. Until Suburban comes up with a gas manifold and tube structure independent of the tube and nut assembly itself, the SDS2 will be problematic.

John
JohnK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:54 PM   #147

Trailer: sold Airstream\Casita -2019 21' Escape
Mission Complete. Pretty straight forward install. I found the cardboard template I made came in handy since the Escape cutout was bigger than expected. My hose was too short but kinda expected that and added a hose extension and connector. Pigtailed the 12v connection from Dometic to the Escape wires. The 3/16, 3” toggle bolts worked great. Wasn’t sure how our microwave would fit below since the Dometic sits a little lower than the Suburan but all worked out good. BTW, finally got a response from Suburan (email), on returning the old unit for a $325 check. So all is good!
Attached Thumbnails
pigtail1.jpg   toggle-bolt.jpg   finished2.jpg  
jumboscott is offline   Reply With Quote