Collection of info about replacing the SDS2 stove with a Dometic D21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2022, 06:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 E19
Dumb question but what brand is the standard 2 burner cooktop that is installed in trailers currently?
I'm hoping not Suburban!
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:01 PM   #22

Trailer: 2022 E19
Answered my own question. It appears as if the Dometic is the standard cooktop installed currently.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:17 PM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post
From the OP of the thread: Remarkable. All this time to find that it is a defective part! As it had to be, given that the 4500 feet stuff was pure BS!
I read that whole 8 page thread and nothing convinced me it was an altitude problem. There are equally (if not more) posts by D21 owners saying theirs works above 4500 ft, which is what convinced me it was other gremlins at work. Also, if the altitude thing was due to the regulator (which it’s not) the same exact regulator is in the SDS2, which I haven’t heard from anyone with concerns about altitude and that stove. Just, you know, the other concerns…

I’d also note that while bleeding the air from my propane lines led me to some finnicky-ness with the dual tank regulator and switch over valve. My full tanks were reading red on the indicator, and I knew propane was being supplied to the switch because I could hear it release when I would close the tank valve and disconnect. I finally read in the manual for the regulator that you need to open the tanks very slowly and at the same time and even then it still took a little effort to get it to work. I knew it worked since I heard the poppet valve open (plus the green on the switch). So that could also be a source of a lot of propane issues!
rainyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2022, 07:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fender View Post
Answered my own question. It appears as if the Dometic is the standard cooktop installed currently.
Yeah, I think it’s the D21-SEC, the one I installed in the post above to replace my Suburban SDS2.
Old 06-07-2022, 07:20 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
I just received this email from Dustin at Escape Parts and Service, in response to my query about reimbursement for SDS2 cooktop replacement installation:

I think this is fair, and a reasonable response. —LEJ
I wonder if “replacement cooktop” could include something other than the new SDS2 with steel fuel lines. I will ask Dustin and report back!
Old 06-07-2022, 07:22 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
I used wall anchors on my D21 replacement. It worked well. Attachment 63130
This is genius! Much easier than an extra wood block!
Old 06-07-2022, 07:38 PM   #27
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
Quote:
"Wall anchors"? I always called them "toggle bolts."
Old 06-28-2022, 10:32 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Did you put the wall anchors through the screw hole in the stove top? Did you add glue or something to keep the anchors from coming loose? Thanks.
Old 06-30-2022, 11:24 AM   #29

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 pickup October 21.
Does anyone know the size of the hose to cooktop connectors.
My SDS2's connection is at the left front of the cooktop. The line runs along the front of the cabinet and up the left front and does a u-turn to the cooktop connector.
If I try to replace it with the Dometic cooktop where the connector is at the left rear, the existing gas line in our 2019 21C is not long enough to reach the connector on the Dometic cooktop. That would involve an extension to the gas line.
I could not fine connector sizes in the install manuals for the Dometic nor The Suburban.
Old 06-30-2022, 05:40 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 21
Mine is on it's way. I'll just get whatever line and fittings from Home Depot. Should't be a big deal. Just be sure to use the gas line type tape
I'll post when I do it.
rotorbudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #31

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denver Sandy View Post
Does anyone know the size of the hose to cooktop connectors.
My SDS2's connection is at the left front of the cooktop. The line runs along the front of the cabinet and up the left front and does a u-turn to the cooktop connector.
If I try to replace it with the Dometic cooktop where the connector is at the left rear, the existing gas line in our 2019 21C is not long enough to reach the connector on the Dometic cooktop. That would involve an extension to the gas line.
I could not fine connector sizes in the install manuals for the Dometic nor The Suburban.

They both have a 3/8" flared male fitting
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 01:37 AM   #32

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotorbudd View Post
Mine is on it's way. I'll just get whatever line and fittings from Home Depot. Should't be a big deal. Just be sure to use the gas line type tape
I'll post when I do it.
Now I won’t be able to sleep at night. We’re currently sitting in Munich, probably 8,000 miles away from our 5.0 and I’ll be wondering if I used gas line tape (yellow?) on my connection.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:29 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Now I won’t be able to sleep at night. We’re currently sitting in Munich, probably 8,000 miles away from our 5.0 and I’ll be wondering if I used gas line tape (yellow?) on my connection.

Enjoy,

Perry

unless you changed the kind of fittings used. I don't believe you would use any kind of tape on a flared fitting. On a flared fitting the seal is made at the flare not the treads. Mine was a flared fitting.
Old 07-01-2022, 10:36 AM   #34

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
Did you put the wall anchors through the screw hole in the stove top? Did you add glue or something to keep the anchors from coming loose? Thanks.

Yes. The anchors (Molly bolts [emoji6]) are through the holes in the stove top. On the underside it’s just tightened up against the wood counter top and the stove top underside. It tightened up nicely.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:16 AM   #35

Trailer: E 21 2019 Tow Vehicle: 2019 4Runner Limited
Tips on Dometic Stove Installation

Twice over the past 40 years I've botched up the cut out in a countertop for a sink. Here's how I dealt with the replacement Dometic stove. I made a template out of a scrap piece of 1/4" plywood. Cut it to fit flush on the countertop. Measured out from right side wall and front of base cabinet to existing hole. Drew lines which intersected. Took the piece of plywood over to a workbench and cut out the opening to dimensions shown. Then positioned the template over existing countertop opening. Marked any pieces of countertop that protruded into the 'new' opening. Removed template. Cut out marked pieces with a sabre saw. I cut out 4 pieces. Professionally done Photoshopped image of the cut outs attached. I was surprised to see how sloppy the original opening cut was prior to the Suburban stove being installed. It was as much as 1/4" width difference front to back. Dull sabre saw blade? Pending lunch break?

Now if I can only figure out how to add an additional 6 inches or so of gas line to the existing gas line in order to connect to the new stove... How have others dealt with this assuming the problem only exists with the 21C?
Attached Thumbnails
20220714_085208-Edit.jpg   20220714_104317-Edit.jpg   20220714_085837.jpg  
Telescopist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:38 AM   #36

Just Heads up to some of you doing the replacement. When I talked to Suburban about the recall. I told them I didn't want to replace it with the same stove. They sent me a shipping label for the return of my stove. After they received and inspected it they sent me a check for $325. I not sure if they do this for every one or its just my hillbilly charm
Old 07-14-2022, 02:23 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I am waiting for my check in the mail as I sent my stove in to them last week. Did not know what to expect. Thanks.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #38

Trailer: 2020 Escape 17B "Voyager"
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
Just Heads up to some of you doing the replacement. When I talked to Suburban about the recall. I told them I didn't want to replace it with the same stove. They sent me a shipping label for the return of my stove. After they received and inspected it they sent me a check for $325. I not sure if they do this for every one or its just my hillbilly charm
I'll try that! Probably they won't send everyone one but worth a try.
Bobbie54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2022, 11:45 AM   #39

Trailer: Escape 2021 17B
D21 in a 17B

I just finished the instillation of the D21 cooktop in my 2021 17B
I followed the OP's advice and cut the rounded corners 1/8 inch inside the outer edges. I then added woodblocks to shim the ends so that I had some wood for the mounting screws. Overall a nice fit. No modifications needed for the gas line.

Working on this in the 17B is tight, lots of things in the way (see pictures)

I also followed the OP's advice on bleeding the gas lines on start up by opening the propane valves slowly. After the air bled out of the system the stove burners ignited easily. I then started the hot water heater and refrigerator on gas to make sure their was no air in those lines.

Overall not too bad of a job if you are handy. New stove top has MUCH better valves to adjust the size of the cooking flame.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Stovetop 1a.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	63792
Click image for larger version

Name:	stovetop 2.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	104.8 KB
ID:	63791
sciteach111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2022, 03:04 PM   #40

Trailer: 17B
Dometic D21-SECG quick question

I got my recall notice and will replace cooktop with the Dometic D21. I have an Escape 17B so the glass top will rest against the cabinet wall when stovetop is in use. Will this glass top prop up nicely and not accidentally fall over? I noticed a video that showed it to be quite loose. If so, does anyone have a fix?

Thanks!
efal is offline   Reply With Quote