compressor frig ac/dc vs dc only - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-16-2022, 11:41 AM   #1

Trailer: EX 2013 Scamp 16 OWNER, CURRENT 2016 Escape 21C
compressor frig ac/dc vs dc only

I'm about to replace out Dometic 8555 whcih works perfectly with a NovaKool 6406D compressor frig.

I can save a couple hundred $$ by going DC only and I am trying to understand what I lose if I do that. We almost always boondock so clearly AC is no help there. But, even if we are on shore power, it seems like the AC will come into the converter, go to DC and power the DC distribution fuse/block and then directly to the frig, never putting any load on the battery.

Is there any advantage of paying the extra for the AC/DC unit? I suppose if the frig is also wired directly to the input side of the converter, it could use AC directly but does that help anything? There still has to be a conversion from AC to DC but it would occur in the frig electronics rather than the RV.
Semievolved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 12:44 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Go DC only. When you have electrical hookups your WFCO will convert to 12V just as it does now for your interior lights, water pump, heater blower, etc.
Old 02-16-2022, 06:34 PM   #3

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I agree. I have the Novakool DC Only. I visited the Novakool factory as it is close to where I live. I asked them that very question. They said don't bother with the AC. When you are plugged in the converter takes the AC converts to DC and charges you up. Save your money for some beer to put in the fridge
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 06:44 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
yeah, ditto, my new Norcold N2175 is DC only. it typically draws 3-4 amps when its running, thats only 36-48 watts at 12V, not really enough to sneeze at.

my daily average draw with the fridge/freezer on max cold, but empty, running, is about 30 amp*hours per 24 hours, thats 360 watt*hours per day at 12V. My dual lithiums are 412 AH or 5260 watt*hours, so I should be able to go a week easy.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ac/dc frig, dc frig