Connecting to external cell antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Connecting to external cell antenna

Several of you have written about installing an external cell antenna to an amplifier inside your rig. I intend to get the television option on a new 5.0 but don’t want to actually use the TV. Instead, I want ETI to install the proper internal and external sockets and connecting cable through the wall so that I can use that connection on the outside to attach the antenna and the inside socket to connect to the amplifier cradle.

I’m thinking about using one of the newer antennas attached to a telescoping aluminum flagpole line some have bought for that purpose from Amazon.

Any suggestions about exactly what kind of sockets and cabling are needed?
Thanks!
Jonathan
drjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2021, 12:50 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjp View Post
Several of you have written about installing an external cell antenna to an amplifier inside your rig. I intend to get the television option on a new 5.0 but don’t want to actually use the TV. Instead, I want ETI to install the proper internal and external sockets and connecting cable through the wall so that I can use that connection on the outside to attach the antenna and the inside socket to connect to the amplifier cradle.

I’m thinking about using one of the newer antennas attached to a telescoping aluminum flagpole line some have bought for that purpose from Amazon.

Any suggestions about exactly what kind of sockets and cabling are needed?
Thanks!
Jonathan
Be careful which connector you have Escape install vs the cable & connector type you external antenna uses. Some are 75 ohm TV type cable & connectors, other use 50 ohm cable & a variety of connectors. They are not interchangeable.
Old 03-04-2021, 01:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Call Randy; he worked for Wilson (now WeBoost) for years in St. George. As a distributor they can bundle what you need and the pricing will be better than WeBoost. Probably will ship from WeBoost however.

Randy Lentz
877-786-1105 Ext 24
randy@signalbooster.com
AFC - Houston
9099 Westheimer Rd. Ste G
Houston, TX 77063
Old 03-09-2021, 04:48 AM   #4

Thanks, Jon and Rossue, for the advice!
Happy Trails,
Jonathan
Old 03-09-2021, 11:09 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Yes it is extremely important to use the correct connectors and cables. It is also important to keep the cables as short as possible at that frequency to limit signal loss.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 08:04 AM   #6

A WeBoost Solution I’m investigating

I just talked with Randy Lentz (signal booster.com, 877-786-1105, Houston TX), who’s had extensive
experience selling and installing cell signal amplification systems both for boats and RVs. He worked with
Wilson (now WeBoost) before working on his own as a consultant, and despite my being “the 45th caller
today and the 4th guy wanting an RV installation,” very patiently answered a number of questions. I’m
writing up the gist for this thread; Randy’s proof read it prior to posting to correct any technical
inaccuracies, too. Many thanks to Rossue for the Randy contact!
1. About installing in my up-coming 5.0, I can use ETI-installed cable TV option’s driver’s side port
(a female—Type F—75 Ohm RG6 connector which connects to the same type of port on the
inside of the trailer) to hook up a WeBoost unit to an external antenna. This size and type of
port, while fine for the WeBoost unit, may not work with other companies’ amplifiers, so be
advised! This unit is for stationary use only, Not for driving down the road!
2. Randy recommends the WeBoost RV65 device (US $650) which he sells, same price as Amazon.
The Old model #471203, will be replaced with a New model on March 31; it will sell for the
same price. Its key difference is that its upload power (governing transmission from you back to
the cell tower) has been doubled, making two way video conferencing that much more reliable.
Worth waiting for. It comes with three RG6 cables segments (2x15’, 1x30’), a 25 foot aluminum
pole, a YAG directional antenna, antenna mounting hardware, the amplifier itself, and an inside-
your-rig antenna, very near to which you place your cell hotspot (phone or otherwise) to create
a network. This antenna has 10 dB gain as opposed to a significantly less-effective OTR, 3 dB
gain, omni directional antenna.
3. How to mount the pole? I’d prefer the metal Camco pole holder which fits the 2” back trailer
hitch, but it is too small for the included 2 ¾” diameter antenna pole. (You could consider replacing the
WeBoost supplied 25’pole with a 2”diameter aluminum flag pole, but would it be as sturdy? 🤷*♂️) I plan to slide the pole
onto a metal stake and then make a second attachment point using a TechnoRV Suction Cup RV
Antenna Mount on the side of the trailer. This setup will allow me to adjust the position of the
antenna somewhat (see 4b below).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RGGMYQC/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_WY0KGGG0ZG0FCYS9A
4. How to aim and attach the antenna?
a. Use a free phone app to find the best signal and tower direction. On iOS: Open Signal.
Android: LTE Discovery.
b. Don’t aim it across the rig at the best cell signal source; that will cause interference. Move your
pole positioning so the antenna can point (while directional, it has a 90 degree field of
useful reception) toward the best available signal source but not across the rig.
c. Use the 30 foot cable segment to attach the antenna to the driver side port,
remembering that the shorter the cable possible, the less signal loss.
5. As the ETI TV option’s inside port is located next to a 120V socket, I’ll have power for the cell
amplifier there.
6. The inside antenna should be placed as far away from the outside antenna as is possible to minimize interference.
Old 04-08-2021, 04:06 PM   #7

Since this last big post got zero response (although I imagine some of you need amplified cell service while out in the boonies), here’s another resource I’ve liked in the past. Outsideourbubble.com He does YouTube webinars intermittently on getting better WiFi and cell service access on one’s rv network. I don’t think he’s particularly selling stuff but could be.

Hi Jonathan,

Just wanted to let you know that David will be doing yet another live "TechieTalk" with Michael Kidd, from TurtleHerding.com, this time on Mobile Internet - Antennas and Boosters for both Wi-Fi and Cell service. Feel free to take part and ask questions using the LIVE CHAT area during this live stream.

The live Live Stream will take place this Saturday April 10th at 5:00PM ET. Just click the button (Couldn’t paste that. Just search for the talk on YouTube) below just before the show starts, or even to watch it after.

YouTube Live TechieTalk!

Hope you may find this of interest. See you soon!

RVingly Yours,

David & Brenda
OutsideOurBubble.com
Old 04-09-2021, 10:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Drjp-

Not sure if this will help you, but what you’re describing reminds me somewhat of the early days of searching for ways to get signal to a satellite radio receiver.

I went thru many upgrades to their system including their first home internet version and now its all on my cell phone, all the rest of my old equipment was trashed long ago.

I’m not sure what there is I can do with a television antenna, I haven’t even had cable television in years.

To each their own but for me streaming can’t be beat, I’m one of those hoping starlink can keep me connected to WiFi.

Once starlink or something similar, maybe from the cell phone companies themselves get a decent system up and running, just maybe that tv antenna could come in handy so ill get one just in case.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2021, 01:33 PM   #9

Hi Ooshkaboo. The WeBoost cell amplifier can apparently boost one’s inside-the-rig signal significantly, but only if there’s even a little something outside. Can’t make a silk purse... Had to do with improvement in the directional antenna and that height boost of the included mast, I guess.

Hmm. Starlink’s gonna be pretty pricey for awhile. I’m betting that cell service is going to be the mobile WiFi of the future with the new infrastructure build out. It’ll be cheaper to put up towers than to lay cable the last mile to all those dwellings, or what do you think?
Old 04-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #10

drjp-

I do believe you’re correct on both points, T mobile has said as soon as they have the more densely populated areas set up with 5G they will be making their way into the more rural areas.

I am still on sprint towers as of now but using my hot spot alone can get the job done for now.
I also looked into the booster options, but they remind me too much of my old satellite beginnings.

I haven’t checked in with my lawyer dowey cheatem and howe on this but I’ll be going for a write off on it either way.
Old 04-10-2021, 06:59 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Other than loan interest and taxes, there are very little write offs available for Escape owners, or for that matter any RV owner.......for info please pm....
Old 04-10-2021, 07:51 AM   #12

Connecting to external cell antenna

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Other than loan interest and taxes, there are very little write offs available for Escape owners, or for that matter any RV owner.......for info please pm....

As a workspace for tele-commuting, as one might write off the area of one’s home used for a home office? It can that be a space only in one’s fixed domicile? A main address?

I’m largely retired but some of the younger forum members ...

Jonathan
Old 04-10-2021, 07:54 AM   #13

Quote:
As a workspace for tele-commuting, as one might write off the area of one’s home used for a home office?

I’m largely retired but some of the younger forum members ...

Jonathan
I believe office in the home only applies to your principal residence, but that is another subject...
Old 04-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #14

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ooshkaboo View Post
Drjp-

To each their own but for me streaming can’t be beat, I’m one of those hoping starlink can keep me connected to WiFi.

Once starlink or something similar, maybe from the cell phone companies themselves get a decent system up and running, just maybe that tv antenna could come in handy so ill get one just in case.
Now retired, I'm mostly free of my past work-related dependence on camping in places with Cell/MiFi/WiFi. Also, we enjoy streaming movies & TV in the evenings, exhusted after long bikes and long hikes or long drives.

We have a reliable work-around for boon-docking with no signals. I have a 5T external drive I use to record TV series & movies using the "PlayOn" app on my laptop. My laptop can "cast" to most TV's and has a 17" HD display. So far, I have over 500 movies I recorded from pay streaming services at home and many full series TV shows, documentaries, theater, stand-up comedy & music videos. I haven't used half the drive space yet. It serves as a video library that we now own & can view anyplace with zero signal.

I got the PlayOn app, desktop version, for $19.99 on one of their many sales. It's a great option to have in the back pocket while camping. My laptop now spends every night and most days recording shows off streaming services while at home, building our "no -signal", camping video library.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:22 AM   #15

Cpaharley 2008

In the recent years much has changed in the working world, especially in the last year.
Working on the fly has become common for many I know, many will never be returning to a stationary office.
In my business I’ve always had to keep an open mind to whatever advantages are available and adapt to the changing technologies.
Old 04-10-2021, 11:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Cpaharley 2008

In the recent years much has changed in the working world, especially in the last year.
Working on the fly has become common for many I know, many will never be returning to a stationary office.
In my business I’ve always had to keep an open mind to whatever advantages are available and adapt to the changing technologies.
Unfortunately, The Internal Revenue Code is probably 10 years behind in adapting.....
Old 04-10-2021, 11:52 AM   #17

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
Cpaharley 2008

I worked in healthcare engineering developing, implementing, & supporting many types of interfaces for the past 20 years. It was almost entirely a remote, work from home job, except for the occasional new project kickoff meetings. I had a team of local support techs who handled hardware and remote connectivity issues. I handled medical centers up & down the east coast from Toronto to Puerto Rico. I began working entirely via dialup modems (a type of ball & chain) and a little later mostly via 128bit encrypted broadband systems. Broadband was a life changer as I could be anyplace with a decent MiFi or WiFi signal. It's not for everyone & requires adaptation, but being home or out in the RV with broadband was my version of an ideal job.

My daughter works with an ad agency handling a tech giant's online store ads. This year she converted to a work from home format and will never return to the office full time again. Her business discovered remote work and plans to downsize their office environment. The change has worked in their favor and cuts costs. There are more traditional types of staff at her office that are very unhappy with the change but my daughter is very independent about most things. She saw my example as a very early adopter of what is becoming more widespread this year.
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 11:19 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Since this last big post got zero response (although I imagine some of you need amplified cell service while out in the boonies),
Glad you were able to connect with Randy- he is a trusted industry rep. As to the design of your booster- most people don't want to hassle with the huge pole setup and while on paper the stats look way better than the OTR, that setup isn't for everyone, especially if you move frequently. My experience over the last 8 years of roaming in an Escape- first with an old Wilson 3 watt amp that was 3G and now with their Drive Reach/OTR is night/day. A lot of that is due to Network expansion of course. Be careful not to overthink things on stats alone.
Old 09-21-2021, 06:00 PM   #19

Trailer: 2022 21C Escape
Question

Quote:
I just talked with Randy Lentz (signal booster.com, 877-786-1105, Houston TX), who’s had extensive
experience selling and installing cell signal amplification systems both for boats and RVs. He worked with
Wilson (now WeBoost) before working on his own as a consultant, and despite my being “the 45th caller
today and the 4th guy wanting an RV installation,” very patiently answered a number of questions. I’m
writing up the gist for this thread; Randy’s proof read it prior to posting to correct any technical
inaccuracies, too. Many thanks to Rossue for the Randy contact!
1. About installing in my up-coming 5.0, I can use ETI-installed cable TV option’s driver’s side port
(a female—Type F—75 Ohm RG6 connector which connects to the same type of port on the
inside of the trailer) to hook up a WeBoost unit to an external antenna. This size and type of
port, while fine for the WeBoost unit, may not work with other companies’ amplifiers, so be
advised! This unit is for stationary use only, Not for driving down the road!
2. Randy recommends the WeBoost RV65 device (US $650) which he sells, same price as Amazon.
The Old model #471203, will be replaced with a New model on March 31; it will sell for the
same price. Its key difference is that its upload power (governing transmission from you back to
the cell tower) has been doubled, making two way video conferencing that much more reliable.
Worth waiting for. It comes with three RG6 cables segments (2x15’, 1x30’), a 25 foot aluminum
pole, a YAG directional antenna, antenna mounting hardware, the amplifier itself, and an inside-
your-rig antenna, very near to which you place your cell hotspot (phone or otherwise) to create
a network. This antenna has 10 dB gain as opposed to a significantly less-effective OTR, 3 dB
gain, omni directional antenna.
3. How to mount the pole? I’d prefer the metal Camco pole holder which fits the 2” back trailer
hitch, but it is too small for the included 2 ¾” diameter antenna pole. (You could consider replacing the
WeBoost supplied 25’pole with a 2”diameter aluminum flag pole, but would it be as sturdy? 🤷*♂️) I plan to slide the pole
onto a metal stake and then make a second attachment point using a TechnoRV Suction Cup RV
Antenna Mount on the side of the trailer. This setup will allow me to adjust the position of the
antenna somewhat (see 4b below).
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RGGMYQC...KGGG0ZG0FCYS9A
4. How to aim and attach the antenna?
a. Use a free phone app to find the best signal and tower direction. On iOS: Open Signal.
Android: LTE Discovery.
b. Don’t aim it across the rig at the best cell signal source; that will cause interference. Move your
pole positioning so the antenna can point (while directional, it has a 90 degree field of
useful reception) toward the best available signal source but not across the rig.
c. Use the 30 foot cable segment to attach the antenna to the driver side port,
remembering that the shorter the cable possible, the less signal loss.
5. As the ETI TV option’s inside port is located next to a 120V socket, I’ll have power for the cell
amplifier there.
6. The inside antenna should be placed as far away from the outside antenna as is possible to minimize interference.
I don't know if you have your new trailer yet?
I think what you are saying is that If I order the cable tv hookup on my configuration I am doing currently, that I will be able to use that hook up to the exterior Weboost antenna.
I had a weboost in my last trailer but I was not able to have it on a long pole so it did not really clear my unit. I am hoping that is why I was unhappy with the results.
I would like it if I don't have to order a specific cell booster hookup in this trailer and send all wiring etc to Escape as per their options sheet.
Let me know if I am reading your response correctly.
ebike1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #20

Hi. It’s interesting that you ask this as I finally picked up our 5.0TA last Friday, been busy kitting it out for a trip next Saturday to Vermont, and ordered a new Wilson cell amplifier from Randy today for $650. The newest and most powerful model is called the Destination RV. It comes with two 15 foot RG-6 and one, I believe, 6 foot RG-6 cable, a 30 foot aluminum telescoping mast, and a YAGI directional antenna, similar to its predecessor, the RV65 unit. Be advised that these powerful units are for stationary use only. Can’t fire them up underway.
Yes, you should purchase Escape’s TV option; I got that but without a roof-mount TV antenna, as in the States, what’s the use if you’re out in the boonies? Best I can do is to stream through cell.
I also ordered a heavy-duty, folding tripod base for the mast. I had originally thought to get an antenna mast mount with suction cups for the side of the trailer or even to have a bumper mount welded up. But there’s a problem with this. 1. You must always avoid pointing the YAGI external antenna across the trailer or it will create a big feedback loop with the internal antenna. Not good. Ideally the YAGI should be pointed 180 degrees (opposite) away from the output direction of the booster’s output antenna inside the trailer, and the two antennae should be about 30 feet apart from each other. So you’ll need the positional flexibility of an independent mast and stand, I believe.
How to aim the YAGI? Android users are in luck. Network Cell Info lite is apparently one of the best android apps for finding your carrier’s nearest cell tower to get the best signal direction. The YAGI receives over a 90 degree span, but the better the aim …
iOS (Apple) users like me have less luck. There’s an app called OpenSignal for us, but Apple’s system apparently doesn’t provide as much info that the apps need to carry out their function in comparison to Android.
After placing the mast and directing the antenna toward the best tower (but not ‘looking’ at the tower across the trailer), you attach the cable to the external jack.
Inside I’m drilling a 2 inch hole through the bottom of the cabinet nearest to the internal jack point, inserting a cable wire cover (rubber desk grommet) in the hole so that the internal cable and power cables can pass up into the cabinet. I’ll keep the amplifier, an apple tv and a small dvd player in there as well. They attach by hdmi cable to a 19 inch Supersonic AC/DC LED TV on an arm mount. I only need 2 feet of cable to attach the booster to the internal jack; Randy advised getting a short cable cheapest at Walmart.
What about the cell booster’s internal antenna? It has a 70 degree transmission field to be pointed opposite to the YAGI outside. Randy said that this antenna is a rectangle around 7”x5”x1/2”. Don’t attach it inside the cabinet as you want to be able to vary its direction, too. It can be positioned right by the amplifier. I must use a hotspot as most of our work devices connect with wifi to the internet. If you use a hotspot too, place it as near as possible to the internal antenna within its transmission cone. And you’re good to go!
Wilson has a good customer service department which helped me although I bought through Randy. He’s very helpful as well.
good luck!