Contemporary Interior - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-01-2021, 01:36 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Contemporary Interior

I posed this question to Escape and received an answer from Daryl stating they don't recommend using command strips on the contemporary interior because it is similar to vinyl wallpaper. He also suggested that I pose the question to the Escape owners Facebook group, but I don't do Facebook.
So, I'm asking anyone on this forum who has the contemporary interior if they have successfully used command strips. If not, what solution did you come up with?
Thank you in advance for any help.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
I was curious to see what the new Contemporary interior looks like so I went on the Escape industries website. Could only find a picture of a tiny segment of a cabinet. No 190 degree or other full disclosure pix of the overall look. No way to judge between the three (oak, maple, contemporary) options. Not very helpful.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #3

It is a textured finish. Very nice, but apparently not command strip friendly. I may still do a test on an inconspicuous spot on the interior of the coat closet to see if it will work.
Old 10-01-2021, 02:40 PM   #4

This is probably not helpful in your case, other than to mention I wanted strong hanging hooks for things and ended up detecting support wood framing behind the papered oak look that I could screw that wood plate into.
Attached Thumbnails
hooks.jpg  
Old 10-01-2021, 02:44 PM   #5

Actually we want to put key hooks on the left side of the cabinet as you enter the trailer. Just didn't want to drill holes to hang a key rack with hooks. May have to go that route though. We'll see how our test turns out
Old 10-01-2021, 03:01 PM   #6

Here's another option to consider. Convenient small stuff shelf above door, held in place by hidden screws in from inside the cabinets.
Attached Thumbnails
doorshelf.jpg  
Old 10-01-2021, 03:35 PM   #7

Trailer: Casita ... for now ...
Having just used 3M Command hooks for a gallery wall of prints on a plaster wall, I would say they work best on a smooth surface. The texture on the Escape walls might keep them from adhering totally. The hooks come with weight limits so you could either use the strongest ones available and just put lightweight items on them, or use some "poster mount" more permanent type tape. I would try the Command hooks first. Just don't put anything too heavy or breakable on them and see how it goes.
brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 04:13 PM   #8

Thank you both for your helpful suggestions.
Old 10-01-2021, 04:18 PM   #9

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
Escape sent me a sample of the Contemporary wall section. Yes, it is a vinyl overlay on a sheet of luan plywood. It has a nice textured finish. Not "rough" more like a woven fabric.

The vinyl adheres pretty well but I can get my fingernail underneath and peel it up with some effort.

FWIW, my wife is in love with the Contemporary interior regardless of not being able to use Command Strips.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3270.jpg   IMG_3273.jpg  
WillyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2021, 06:28 PM   #10

Clearly, choosing the interior décor is a crucial personal component of any potential Escape trailer buyer. It defines our tastes now more than ever, since there is more than one choice. Truth be told, I thought the oak décor was too much Mickee-dee, but, what choice did I have?

Since most of us are not going to pop over to Chilliwack to make up our minds it is a puzzle why the website choices are so poorly represented.
Old 10-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #11

We LOVE our contemporary interior. We will just find other ways than using Command products, no worries!
Old 10-02-2021, 10:48 AM   #12

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0
Contemporary Interior

We have installed a variety of hooks, both Command Strips and screwed in, on our 5.0 TA with contemporary interior that we picked up in Sumas in April. The first photo shows coat hooks that we screwed into the bathroom wall that we had reinforced so that we could also install a handrail that was finished after this photo was taken. I would have had this wall reinforced independent of interior finish and used screws for these heavy duty applications.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210416_1.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	181.2 KB
ID:	58783

The second photo shows Command Strip hooks installed on the entrance wall for keys, small flashlights, etc. We never had a problem with this. We also installed Command Strip hooks on the contemporary wall in the dinette for pocket organizers (no photo.)
Both are light weight uses.
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210416_2a.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	234.9 KB
ID:	58784

Also, if you're undecided about interior finishes, ETI will send you actual samples to inspect.
Old 10-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Some of the videos that Carl does every month are made inside the new interior if you want a semi live look.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:55 AM   #14

Thank you! I am going to give the Command hooks a try! We have the contemporary interior on our 21NE and just love the clean, crisp look. Makes our trailer feel bigger! :-)