Counter extension - E19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2020, 08:42 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Counter extension - E19

Just finished another mod. As most E19 owners know, the counter top area is limited. I wanted a worktop add on that didn't interfere with function of trailer. This was possible since our 2017 E19 has the older above counter stove that does not drop too deep into counter. Slide out IKEA bamboo cutting board fits and doesn't interfere with drawers and cupboard below. I have the board draw out 15.25" and standing to side allows for L shaped work area. Can be moved in to open fridge completely. Perfect for sitting hot pot on or ingredients for cooktop prep.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4231.JPG   IMG_4233.JPG  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 08:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I like that a lot Chuck.
I have been eyeballing that space for sometime now.
Also usable to use as a short term table by sitting on the bed if the front dinette is not available being set up as a bed.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Nicely done, always nice to be able to exploit an unused space. It will undoubtedly be a very handy add-on.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 09:29 PM   #4

I had bought the IKEA cutting board for a stovetop cover and found it would be too heavy. Modified the one in pic since it's more practical. When I had my head in cabinet installing outside tap set I looked back and up and thought maybe the slot in cabinet framing would work if it missed the stove bottom. Got the nerve up to cut the cabinet face and give it a try. Works great. Runs on slides and is held snug against stove bottom with rub strips. Have latch at front inside cabinet to lock while underway.

Pics pick up another mod at the front on bed edge. Prevents edge of mattress collapsing when sliding out. Previous owner had made upholstered board. I reupholstered to fit with our taste.
Old 06-12-2020, 10:18 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Thumbs up

Nicely done there Chuck, both of them.....
Old 06-12-2020, 11:38 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
Just finished another mod. As most E19 owners know, the counter top area is limited. I wanted a worktop add on that didn't interfere with function of trailer. This was possible since our 2017 E19 has the older above counter stove that does not drop too deep into counter. Slide out IKEA bamboo cutting board fits and doesn't interfere with drawers and cupboard below. I have the board draw out 15.25" and standing to side allows for L shaped work area. Can be moved in to open fridge completely. Perfect for sitting hot pot on or ingredients for cooktop prep.
What a great mod ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 09:27 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Very clean job. I am tempted to do it. One thing holding me back is a desire to replace the stock stove with something recessed and flat. If only I could find one that is affordable.
Old 06-13-2020, 10:12 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That is very useful! Does it get hot when not deployed and you are using the stove? Nice work!!!
Old 06-13-2020, 11:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
That is very useful! Does it get hot when not deployed and you are using the stove? Nice work!!!
To allow for resting on top of cabinetry frame cross member and with 3/4" IKEA cutting board there is about 3/16 to 1/4" clearance below metal stove box. To take up this space and provide for rub strips I cut short lengths of 1/8" fibre cutting board and stuck to bottom of box with Command Hook adhesive tape. This will eliminate bouncing underway and provides a snug fit as drawn out and board doesn't drop from level with extension.

As far as stove heat the main concern is upward burner heat and clearance. The box is designed to provide the buffer to flammables. Inside box there is instruction of use and installation labels so I figure if they stay on with use, then cabinet storage, etc. below will be safe. Only question until testing will be adhesive strips letting go. But with board pressing against they shouldn't work free.
Old 06-20-2020, 12:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Just found this plastic tray in WalMart yesterday. Think maybe it will also serve as an added work space/cover over the stove top? Price sure was right.
Attached Thumbnails
tray.jpg  
Old 06-20-2020, 01:00 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
looks good Myron
Old 06-20-2020, 03:00 PM   #12

Shake-down trip under our belt and we are happy with the counter extension. Easily pulled out and pushed away especially with stove top in use.

Raised dinette with Lagun and pull out shoe tray worked well. Wife happily looking out windows and no shoes cluttering entry.
Attached Images

Old 07-02-2020, 01:31 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
What are the dimensions of your table? We just ordered the Lagun system. I'm re-configuring the dinette area and trying to see what size of table would work best.
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:21 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
What are the dimensions of your table? We just ordered the Lagun system. I'm re-configuring the dinette area and trying to see what size of table would work best.
Table is cut down original table 30.5"x 25". Allows for dropping down for bed filler. Used remainder for flip up cover on storage compartment between benches. Great for 2 dining and tight for 4.
Attached Thumbnails
Dinette.jpeg