cubbies - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2019, 10:10 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Exclamation cubbies

Looking for a couple of wall cubbies in maple or oak big enuf to hold a cell phone and/or a pair of glasses and mountable on a cabinet wall
WE have looked at Umbra stuff and plan to have a couple of Umbra hook setups installed on pick up day..but still need a wooden cubbie that fits into the ~8" space up in the driver side corner of the front upper cabinets. We have scoured The Home Place, Home Depot, Wally WOrld, etc and will look at Hobby Lobby this week..nobody seems to have anything decent looking and big enuf in wood and we do not want crappy Chinese plastic crap in our new baby.
Uubra cubbies are too small and too low to safely hold a cell phone. Any help??
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:31 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Camco makes all kinds: https://www.google.com/search?q=camc...w=1600&bih=764
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:19 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes I have used several pf those Camco pieces in my trailer as well as spice racks, but your specific area limits that. Are you getting the shelf, I saw one owner with cubbies built into the shelf over the bed in the E21. Identical to your cubbies by the bath door.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:03 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Did you look at the Umbra hook and cubby combo? We installed these in our 19 - one near the thermostat wall by the bed and one on the right wall when entering the trailer. We hang our keys on the hooks and cell phone, wallet, coins, etc. go in the cubbies.

https://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Cubby-M...820715&sr=8-12
New Adventures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:08 AM   #5

Question cubbies??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes I have used several pf those Camco pieces in my trailer as well as spice racks, but your specific area limits that. Are you getting the shelf, I saw one owner with cubbies built into the shelf over the bed in the E21. Identical to your cubbies by the bath door.
Nyet on the front shelf..bks 1. we opted for the big front window and 2. the shelf is too low and my head hits the shelf if I sit up in bed so looking for a smallish cubbie for the wife's side of bed. What we really wud like is a nice, wood, small under-hung shelf to put up under the overhead cabinetry.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:10 AM   #6

Umbra

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
Did you look at the Umbra hook and cubby combo? We installed these in our 19 - one near the thermostat wall by the bed and one on the right wall when entering the trailer. We hang our keys on the hooks and cell phone, wallet, coins, etc. go in the cubbies.

https://www.amazon.com/Umbra-Cubby-M...820715&sr=8-12
already have one, but it seems too small inside to hold much, and is too wide for that space up in the front overhead cabinet..the width of that space in the corner is only 8-1/4th inches!
Old 12-08-2019, 10:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Nyet on the front shelf..bks 1. we opted for the big front window and 2. the shelf is too low and my head hits the shelf if I sit up in bed so looking for a smallish cubbie for the wife's side of bed. What we really wud like is a nice, wood, small under-hung shelf to put up under the overhead cabinetry.
When you say big front window, it is smaller than the E19 front window. maybe 1/2 as large and it is off center from the outside, more like 1/3 bath solid and then 2/3 window.
Old 12-08-2019, 10:43 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
already have one, but it seems too small inside to hold much, and is too wide for that space up in the front overhead cabinet..the width of that space in the corner is only 8-1/4th inches!
why not mount them horizontally underneath the o/h they come with adhesive tape and can be mounted any which way, vertical or horizintal.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:02 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Hollybee,
You could always go to a cabinet shop and have them make one for you that would be just what you wanted. If it were me, I would make a cardboard and masking tape mock up - designed after your trailer arrives. That way you can get exactly what you want, can make sure it fits, and would be much easier to take the mock up to a cabinet shop so they understand "the project".

Yes, the cabinet shop would be more expensive than the mass produced Camco boxes …. but really in the over all cost and value of your trailer … it wouldn't be much. I make custom cabinets frequently but Minnesota is too far away to commute - sorry! Oh and another suggestion: take your trailer with you and your mock-up when you talk with a cabinet maker - likely he will have some valuable suggestions and it will help him to see your trailer so he could match the style, fit and finish.

Good luck,
Tom
Old 12-08-2019, 06:18 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Well, if all else fails, you could always have a plastic custom cubby made exactly the size you want and use Krylon/Rustoleum paint for plastic for a close match............

The amusing part of the story is that wifey kept losing her iPhone in a Casita, which let to me making her a holder for it to store/charge and connect to our stereo for music. That eventually led to the birth of RV Widget Works!

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:43 PM   #11

Overhead cabinet dimensions

Can someone please tell me the dimensions (depth) for the overhead, side cabinets in the front bed area in the 21'? Distance from front edge of cabinet to the wall. I'm looking at under cabinet mounted storage drawers. Thanks!
Old 12-12-2019, 01:51 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
14 1/2"

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 07:44 PM   #13

Red face cabinets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
14 1/2"

Ron
Thanks..about what we thought. May go the "cabinet maker " route..then he could make it in Maple like the imnterior..we can wait til we have the trailer anyways. ;-)
Old 12-25-2019, 10:36 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Casita
IKEA? I use hanging mesh shower caddies. Kind of like shoe bags but smaller.
Tappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #15

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Have you checked out key / mail holder combo units. They are often fairly short tho the storage part may be a tad small.
Old 02-02-2020, 05:51 AM   #16
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Adventures View Post
How do you secure these to the cabinets? I am concerned the extra weight wouldn't hold up in time. Interested in putting one of these by the door.
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:19 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
mine is by the door on the "overhang" and was installed by Escape. They are screwed in with those brown caps on top of the screws. Just be sure there's no wiring in the cabinet that would interfere. I can give you the measurements if you like; not sure if that piece is the same size on the larger trailers.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:13 AM   #18

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by P&L View Post
How do you secure these to the cabinets? I am concerned the extra weight wouldn't hold up in time. Interested in putting one of these by the door.
Double check that the Umbra cubby will fit by the door on a classic 19. I wanted to put one there but it wouldn’t fit.
Old 02-02-2020, 12:24 PM   #19
P&L

Trailer: Escape 19 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Double check that the Umbra cubby will fit by the door on a classic 19. I wanted to put one there but it wouldn’t fit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
mine is by the door on the "overhang" and was installed by Escape. I can give you the measurements if you like; not sure if that piece is the same size on the larger trailers.
I just measured and it won't fit by the door. I already have a larger umbras everywhere else! Thanks for your input!
P&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 04:30 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I have a 2015 19 and it fits there really well if you do a bit of trimming and shaping on the right side of the umbra. I’m just about ready to attach it and I’ll try and get a pic up tonight so you can see how it works.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote