Curtain around bed of Escape 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-20-2016, 02:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Angling a curtain across the trailer as War Eagle has described makes sense... but at what height is the track to be mounted?
  • If the streetside end is under the overhead cabinet it would be unreasonably low. [red line on image]
  • If the streetside end stops at the overhead cabinet (leaving a gap to the wall) it could run at the level of the lower part of the ceiling on the curb side; if it runs level at that height people will have to duck under it going to the bathroom, and it will still stop short of the sloped area of ceiling under the awning recess. [blue line on image]
  • If the track is up on the highest part of the ceiling it will stop well short of both walls, so it will leave gaps or require fixed panels on each end; when open it will be in the way at the ends. [green line on image]
I'm not saying that a good solution can't be found, only that I don't see one which is straightforward... and I'm curious about what people are planning.
Attached Thumbnails
21ft-InteriorFrtBed-curtainRodPositions.jpg  
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:05 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have to go to the bathroom.
Old 11-20-2016, 03:12 PM   #23

This blackout blindfold is compact and doesn't get in anybody's way.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2016-11-20 at 1.10.33 PM.png  
Old 11-20-2016, 05:21 PM   #24

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
My current working plan is to not over-think it until the new 21' is sitting in our driveway and we get a chance to try actual vs. conceptual. Then, if we can block even 80% or 90% of the light, well maybe that will be good enough. Not going to worry about it until we get a chance to play with it and see. By the way, I think my wife would NOT be a happy camper if I suggested she wear a blindfold to bed! I might find myself sleeping outside on the ground!
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 06:24 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
I might find myself sleeping outside on the ground!
Well, that's another option.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:59 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape21. Pick up date May,2017
How about a curtain on the dinnette end?
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Curtain Height

On the bed curtain height. I want it high enough that I don't bump my head but low enough so cold air from the AC will blow into the bed area.
richardr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:14 AM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
On the bed curtain height. I want it high enough that I don't bump my head but low enough so cold air from the AC will blow into the bed area.
That was our thoughts too . Hence ,the space at top for the ac . Bottom , didn't want any interference with cabinet's .So top of mattress was the right height . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Maybe it's just us, but the person who is latest to bed (usually me) or earliest to rise (most often my wife) usually wants access to not only the the dinette itself but also the fridge, sink, microwave, cabinets, view of the TV, door to the outside, etc., etc., with as little disturbance as possible to the one in bed. Usually, the one in bed, if awake, is concerned only with access to the bathroom if needed. Again, maybe that's just us, but that's why I'm considering locating a curtain where I previously indicated.
Old 11-21-2016, 09:51 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
light control

I also was concerned with light getting to my light sleeping husband who goes to bed earlier. Rease also told me "no" when I asked to get a flexible curtain track installed during construction. After looking at the ceiling height problem when we took delivery, I could see why he didn't want to get involved. I also don't see where the curtain stackback wouldn't be in the way when getting in and out of the bed or accessing the cupboards.

When we actually started using the trailer, we found that it wasn't that big of a deal. We have the captains lights over the dinette. I just sit on the side that is most blocked from the bed and use that light, which has a narrow beam, to read.

While it is good to look at possibilities, you may decide that you don't need the curtain at all.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 10:24 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain_gal View Post
While it is good to look at possibilities, you may decide that you don't need the curtain at all.
I like that approach.
I often wonder how much of the stuff bought for an anticipated trailer ends up at the Sally Ann. Nothing beats personal experience.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:45 PM   #32

Trailer: 2006 8.5' Alaskan. 2008 Scamp 16. 2015 Escape 21
We use a fabric shower curtain liner for a privacy screen in our 21. It is 6 feet by 6 feet and needed no alterations. We hang it with the small 3M hooks that have the bent wire as a hook. We have hooks on the MaxxFan frame and the air conditioner frame and can enclose just the bed or create a privacy zone from the bed to the bathroom. Ours is white but other colors are available. When not it use we fold it up and store it in one of the overhead cabinets. Simple but it works for us. I'll try to attach photos.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1794.jpg   IMG_1791.jpg   IMG_1783.jpg  
Ditchrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:53 AM   #33

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
In the 21', I'm thinking more of angling a curtain from the cubby bin wall near the door to the overhead cabinet above the drawer stack. That would allow me to go in and out the door without bothering my wife, shield the bed from view and from outside light if/when I'm going in and out the door, and give her privacy to go from bed to bathroom and back whether I happen to be going through the door at the time or not. Or at least that's what I'm thinking will work. We'll see....
I am just reading your old post and wondering if you did this and how it turned out?
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 11:58 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger View Post
Yeah, that is what I am thinking too.
Nancy
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:53 PM   #35

Nancy, I started this thread before we actually took possession of our 21'. Once we got it and started camping in it, we realized, for us, there is no need for a curtain either around the foot of the bed nor to separate off the dinette. The head of the bed is tucked far enough away from the dinette, and out of sight enough from the entry door, that it's just not an issue. If we were to pursue it in the future, the MaxFann interior trim makes a convenient location to anchor one or both of two small curtains (see post #32 above), one from the cubbies across to the fan trim (which would block the bed from the entry door, and one from the fan to the drawer stack area (which would block the bed from the dinette). But again, we found we are perfectly comfortable camping without any interior curtains. I hope that helps. Please let me know if you have any other questions. Dale
Old 04-29-2017, 03:37 PM   #36

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I installed a Ikea curtain track in a classic 21. It is 73 1/2" from the bottom of the track to the floor and 1" from the top of the rod to the cieling. The A/C is only 73" from the floor. To get the elevation you need to stay in the trolly top. The track runs from the bed corner of the bath to the corner of the side of the microwave cabinet. Ikea makes a 1" stand off which I installed to the fan trim. I made oak blocks to support the ends of the rods. The Rod system has little cars that fit into the curtain track so one piece of material covers the whole area. The holes in the oak blocks had to be drilled at an angle and finished off inside with a rat tail file.

Materials
2 ea. oak blocks 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 3"
Kvartal parts
2 ea. 55" tracks
1 ea. stand off
1 Pk of curtain trolleys and hooks.
Attached Thumbnails
100_4351.JPG   100_4365.JPG   100_4356.JPG   100_4354.JPG   100_4359.JPG  

elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 04:19 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Flexible curtain rod too

I had acquired a rod made for custom curtains that is supposed to work in the same general way as the Ikea one but would allow for following the bottom of the bed using the fan housing as an anchor point in addition to the bath wall and cabinet casework. ETI was unwilling to install it and after using the trailer, we decided it wasn't worth the effort so I still have it in my garage. In hindsight, definitely one of those, wait until you get the trailer to decide items.
Mountain_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 03:49 PM   #38

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21'
Hi Pat,

I know this is a very old thread, but I hope you will see this and reply. A couple of clarifying questions...
1) Do you leave the tension bar and curtain up while travelling?
2) Have you had any problems with the tension bar causing damage to the interior surfaces?

My husband is afraid that a tension bar will crack the interior surfaces and not be strong enough to support a curtain. We would be using this to block the kids’ sleeping area (dinette converted to bed) from the rest of the trailer so us parents aren’t sitting in a dark cave for the rest of the evening.

Thank you in advance.
ofamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 04:41 PM   #39

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the 21 it would be simple to curtain off the rear dinette as the refer and kitchen wall almost match, thus a tension bar across it would be simple, we did that in our first 19, to allow the bed occupants more sleeping time.
Old 07-14-2018, 04:49 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by ofamily View Post
Hi Pat,

I know this is a very old thread, but I hope you will see this and reply. A couple of clarifying questions...
1) Do you leave the tension bar and curtain up while travelling?
2) Have you had any problems with the tension bar causing damage to the interior surfaces?

My husband is afraid that a tension bar will crack the interior surfaces and not be strong enough to support a curtain. We would be using this to block the kids’ sleeping area (dinette converted to bed) from the rest of the trailer so us parents are sitting in a dark cave for the rest of the evening.

Thank you in advance.
Hi I think this was for me . The tension rod has been up for 4 years . We never remove the rod . No damage at all , just don't go crazy with tightening . We added support underneath so it won' t slid down . Where ours is installed in the corner , there is framing inside your cabinets . You could add extra wood blocks if you are not in the corners and more on your paneling . Hope this helps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote