Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 23 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-01-2020, 10:51 AM   #441

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That’s insane! If that is a 12V system and my math is right he has at least ten 100AH batteries at ~$1,000 each! Not to mention the cost of 5,000W of solar! Wow.
He is a crusty old South Dakota RVer that uses the same system (including the motorhome roof solar) to power his stick & brick while there. Drives a Chevy Volt that is recharged by solar. The batteries are set up as a 48V system with inverters to provide 120V AC for everything. He does have a DC to DC converter to supply the 12V stuff in the motorhome.

The funny thing is he is retired from his business - supplying fairs, carnivals & rock shows with 125KW diesel generators. I guess he didn't want to haul one along!

The photo is from before he put the lower 3 panels on the trailer...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0211.jpg  
Old 01-01-2020, 11:09 AM   #442

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Now there’s fella with money and time.
Cool what folks are doing out there with the technology.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 08:55 AM   #443

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
New Dometic 6500 BTUH AC coming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Mike, with Happier Camper had been in Tucson for a Dometic event. Dometic selected them to test a new AC unit on their Demo which he brought to Quartzsite. It was a 6500 btu unit that is designed to be very quiet and run fine on battery. Mike had run it for about 4 hours on Sat on the flooded batteries, and said for those with Lithium it could run pretty much continuous.
They are in the process of getting it certified and it is not released yet. If all goes well, it will be released before long. Not much info beyond that, other than your wish for RV AC improvements is getting close, Dave.
It is super quiet and quite a step forward to see it in action.
Copied this from the Quartzsite thread for relevancy. While I’m not the biggest fan of Dometic overall I am going to be optimistic on this. Glad to hear that they are working on a small, quiet unit! Please update here if you get any new information. I will do the same.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:28 AM   #444

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Copied this from the Quartzsite thread for relevancy. While I’m not the biggest fan of Dometic overall I am going to be optimistic on this. Glad to hear that they are working on a small, quiet unit! Please update here if you get any new information. I will do the same.
I missed the start of this discussion regarding Dometic introducing a new, small, QUIET, 12V fridge. Our one complaint about our little EggCamper is how loud the compressor is on the factory installed fridge. The sound resonates and is amplified by the fiberglass galley cabinet enclosure to the point where we just use the original fridge for dry storage and keep our perishables on ice in a cooler. If the new small Dometic fridge is quieter and is small enough to fit in the galley cabinet, we'll be a customer. Does anyone know the exterior dimensions of the new fridge or know where I can find them?
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 10:44 AM   #445

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I thought the Quartzite conversation was re: Dometic's smaller air conditioning model that developed for the HappyCamper, small, quiet and very low energy use. Was not aware that a similar 12v refrigerator was also developed??
Old 02-16-2020, 12:00 PM   #446

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I thought the Quartzite conversation was re: Dometic's smaller air conditioning model that developed for the HappyCamper, small, quiet and very low energy use. Was not aware that a similar 12v refrigerator was also developed??
My bad. I was blinded by strong desire for a quieter little fridge and jumped to an errant post. I hate when that happens, and hate it even more when I'm the culprit.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 12:25 PM   #447

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My Dutchman T@da had dual 12v Norcold refers, there was always a constant hum but between the two of them I had plenty of space and room for everything, each one also each had a tiny freezer, just enough for a half gallon ice cream or split an ice bag in half.
Old 02-25-2020, 03:55 PM   #448

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Thumbs up

Just a note of thanks to rubicon327 for the wealth of information and experience shared in this thread.

For the prospective Escape 19 purchaser there's certainly plenty to learn here in terms of ordering a trailer configuration from ETI that's 'tailored' in anticipation of this owner installed mod.

As a primarily hot-climate / 3-season traveler who has very rarely used the furnace in my Casita, the notion of requesting complete deletion of the standard furnace and associated propane provisions in order to gain more precious storage space is an attractive proposition. I'm quite sure the Fujistu heat-pump mode would meet my rare and mild heating needs.

Foregoing the ETI AC option (heretofore a 'given' for me) in lieu of a second powered rear vent at time of order would also offer substantial economic and functional benefit toward the mod.

If there are other ETI options or 'customizations' you would suggest in anticipation of this owner installed mod at time of order, I'd welcome those insights either here or via PM.

All-in-all a great thread inspiring lots of possibilities. Thank You!
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 06:22 PM   #449

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just a note of thanks to rubicon327 for the wealth of information and experience shared in this thread.

For the prospective Escape 19 purchaser there's certainly plenty to learn here in terms of ordering a trailer configuration from ETI that's 'tailored' in anticipation of this owner installed mod.

As a primarily hot-climate / 3-season traveler who has very rarely used the furnace in my Casita, the notion of requesting complete deletion of the standard furnace and associated propane provisions in order to gain more precious storage space is an attractive proposition. I'm quite sure the Fujistu heat-pump mode would meet my rare and mild heating needs.

Foregoing the ETI AC option (heretofore a 'given' for me) in lieu of a second powered rear vent at time of order would also offer substantial economic and functional benefit toward the mod.

If there are other ETI options or 'customizations' you would suggest in anticipation of this owner installed mod at time of order, I'd welcome those insights either here or via PM.

All-in-all a great thread inspiring lots of possibilities. Thank You!
Centex: Thank you for the compliments. I’m happy this thread has benefited owners. Many have contributed, viewed or PM’d me. Since you are getting a 19 you need to determine the location of the indoor unit and plan from there. If it is at the front like mine you should check with ETI if they will do a cabinet across the front in lieu of the standard shelf. Our trailer was bought used but luckily had this very rare option. If they can do the cabinet I would request a custom sized opening width. Viator (Jake) and I planned this for his 21 (at the rear) and it was key to the installation. You also need to determine where the outdoor unit will go. Up front in lieu of factory storage box (with relocated batteries) or on the rear with bumper modifications and relocated spare tire. Let me know if you have any more specific questions.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:15 AM   #450

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
You also need to determine where the outdoor unit will go. Up front in lieu of factory storage box (with relocated batteries) or on the rear with bumper modifications and relocated spare tire.
It is also possible to build a suitable mounting rack without extending the bumper, although the spare tire should still be relocated.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #451

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
How many watts will this new Dometic 6500 BTU air conditioner be pulling? How long do you think a dual battery 12v system would last? You would still probably have to run a small generator to keep from depleting all the power from the trailer’s batteries. I guess what I’m getting at is there any more preliminary details?

FYI: I’m starting a rumor that Coleman is combining their separate PS (power saver) and NDQ (non-ducted quiet) model air conditioners into an AC that is getting closer to what this post has been talking about! These models are due to be ready for the market later this year. And it ain’t no rumor! This time next year, I’m gonna have a choice in the way of a quieter AC that can be run by my little Honda 2000i generator...and by a battery is going above my expectations!

My thanks to rubicon327 for starting this conversation with his initial post a few years back. Just maybe the manufacturers really do read these posts? Let’s see if they keep striving to build units that are as quiet, efficient and versatile as the two existing split condenser prototypes operating on two Escape trailers out there somewhere!
millybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:45 PM   #452

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by millybob View Post
How many watts will this new Dometic 6500 BTU air conditioner be pulling? How long do you think a dual battery 12v system would last? You would still probably have to run a small generator to keep from depleting all the power from the trailer’s batteries. I guess what I’m getting at is there any more preliminary details?

FYI: I’m starting a rumor that Coleman is combining their separate PS (power saver) and NDQ (non-ducted quiet) model air conditioners into an AC that is getting closer to what this post has been talking about! These models are due to be ready for the market later this year. And it ain’t no rumor! This time next year, I’m gonna have a choice in the way of a quieter AC that can be run by my little Honda 2000i generator...and by a battery is going above my expectations!

My thanks to rubicon327 for starting this conversation with his initial post a few years back. Just maybe the manufacturers really do read these posts? Let’s see if they keep striving to build units that are as quiet, efficient and versatile as the two existing split condenser prototypes operating on two Escape trailers out there somewhere!
When we were at Quartzite, asked about how long AC can run ? He said about 4 hours . I can’t remember if they were the lithium Still not there , you would need a generator . At least someone is working on it though . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 04:59 PM   #453

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Pat,
He had flooded battery and ran it about 4 hours, then gave it a rest. Lithium he estimated it could run fairly continuously.
Still early in the game, but if they get it certified it should hit the trailer manufacturers summer or fall.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2020, 05:42 PM   #454

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Pat,
He had flooded battery and ran it about 4 hours, then gave it a rest. Lithium he estimated it could run fairly continuously.
Still early in the game, but if they get it certified it should hit the trailer manufacturers summer or fall.
Thanks Greg ! Pat
Old 02-28-2020, 08:56 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
When we were at Quartzite, asked about how long AC can run ? He said about 4 hours . I can’t remember if they were the lithium Still not there , you would need a generator . At least someone is working on it though . Pat
Yes a generator or a serious amount of solar. Lithium batteries would certainly be better for handling the amps and taking it repeatedly to a deeper overall discharge without issue.
Old 02-28-2020, 09:13 PM   #456

Quote:
Yes a generator or a serious amount of solar. Lithium batteries would certainly be better for handling the amps and taking it repeatedly to a deeper overall discharge without issue.
Interesting to see Dave and Greg did say it needed the lithium to last better then 4 hours . Greg said, they were just wet cells not lithium . But the cost of the lithium not for us ! Pat
Old 03-15-2020, 12:33 PM   #457

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
I came across this today. Might make a great alternative AC system

https://youtu.be/liX3D1VMWyk

https://youtu.be/woZH85EiHNY
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 12:58 PM   #458

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Interesting. Looks easy to install and sized about right for an Escape. Hopefully the actual unit's design and construction is better than their through-door system for the cords, though.

I think without the roof unit (or the hole for it), you could fit at least 600W of solar on the Escape 19 roof and possibly up to 1000W. That plus some lithium batteries and you could genuinely run the AC off of solar most of the time.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 07:06 PM   #459

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
I came across this today. Might make a great alternative AC system

https://youtu.be/liX3D1VMWyk

https://youtu.be/woZH85EiHNY
Somebody posted about this unit over 2-1/2 years ago. This was my take as compared to a real mini-split.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post201654

I’m not sure they are readily available if you are in the US. This Amazon Canada. The reviews on the product aren’t the best either.
https://www.amazon.ca/ForestAir-F001.../dp/B074DVZ1P1
Old 03-15-2020, 07:49 PM   #460

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
I wonder if 6000 btu’s would keep my 5.0 classic cool in the sun at 85-95 F? It might fit (16x16x?) right under the U shaped bench with the cool air blowing right up between someone’s legs! Back bumper should handle the size and weight of the compressor unit I would think. I liked the duct work and register mod in the video.
millybob is offline   Reply With Quote