Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 24 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2020, 10:12 PM   #461
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by millybob View Post
I wonder if 6000 btu’s would keep my 5.0 classic cool in the sun at 85-95 F?
My guess is that it would be inadequate. There's not alot of interior space to cool, so you'd think 6K BTU would be fine. But there's very little insulation and in direct sun the factory AC (11,500 BTU) has to work almost constantly just to keep up. Then again, it depends on what you're comfortable with. 6K BTUs of cooling on a hot summer day would be way better than fans and open windows.
Old 03-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #462

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
It may be because I got all the available insulation in addition to putting reflectix in the windows around the bed to keep sunlight out, but I found on the 19' the 11500BTU was plenty even when it got a bit over 100F. Maybe running 70% duty cycle at the most. I could see it really struggling to get temperatures back down if it was out in the sun building heat to well over 100 inside, though.
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:11 AM   #463

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defenestrator View Post
It may be because I got all the available insulation in addition to putting reflectix in the windows around the bed to keep sunlight out, but I found on the 19' the 11500BTU was plenty even when it got a bit over 100F. Maybe running 70% duty cycle at the most. I could see it really struggling to get temperatures back down if it was out in the sun building heat to well over 100 inside, though.
I can offer that a 9,000 BTU/H mini-split is perfect for a 19 or 21. Trailer stays cool on hot days in full sun. The actual stated range for the unit is 1,700 - 10,700 BTU/H. The inverter compressor only runs as hard as it needs to. It just ramps as needed with no ON/OFF of the compressor. The Fujitsu 9RL2 units that I have installed as part of this (now very long) thread are rated by AHRI so you know the numbers are proven. The 9,000 BTU/H is based on 80F DB (dry bulb) / 67F WB (wet bulb) indoor and 95F DB / 75F WB outdoor.

I don't think that ForestAir, ClimateRight and even Dometic units are rated by any third parties so you may not be getting the BTU's claimed. Just food for thought.

Excited to see the small unit that Dometic is supposedly working on. Would love to see a heat pump with inverter compressor so it can be used for heating too. Just hope the claimed 6,500 BTUH cooling is enough. My gut feel is that it would probably be fine in a 17, stretched a bit in a 19 and unacceptable in a 21 or 5.0 if in worst case conditions of full sun on a hot day and the owner is expecting 70 degrees inside.
Old 03-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #464
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I don't think that ForestAir, ClimateRight and even Dometic units are rated by any third parties so you may not be getting the BTU's claimed. Just food for thought.
Yep, part of why I err on the side of caution. 6K BTUs would theoretically work, but not if you're 6K unit actually produces only 4K.
Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 PM   #465

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Nice to hear that this guys unit has worked for a few years while off road...that was my fear with a residential unit.
There are also a few other good points he makes and some interesting solar.

https://youtu.be/woZH85EiHNY

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 08:24 PM   #466

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
Just took delivery of our brand new 5.0 without the A/C option and ordered the mini-split today. We have a mini-split at home, so wanted that option and came across your excellent install guide. I saw the picture of the flexible A/C line and wondered if you had any tips? Plan on incorporating them on this install. Thanks.
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2020, 09:54 PM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
Just took delivery of our brand new 5.0 without the A/C option and ordered the mini-split today. We have a mini-split at home, so wanted that option and came across your excellent install guide. I saw the picture of the flexible A/C line and wondered if you had any tips? Plan on incorporating them on this install. Thanks.
Joel: Excited to see your install on a 5.0! Did you go with a 9000 or 12000 BTU unit? I ask because the dimensions are the same with the only difference being the Fujitsu 12RL2 outdoor unit is 5# heavier. The flex lines I used were Rectorseal NoKink. Very high quality. I got them for less at a supply house but they are available at different vendors. Not much to say except to be very meticulous with your flaring (use some POE oil when making each one) and use good flare nuts. Make sure the nut goes on the line before starting each flare. On the 21 I did I insulated the lines and then pulled the remaining flex line into the trailer after making the outdoor connections and used a set of couplings within the dinette bench to connect to the hard copper. You can use sections of insulation from the leftover lengths of your pre-insulated line set so that you have these flex lines covered adequately. Seal the joint well where the coupling is used. I butted the insulation up tight and used white Gorilla tape. You don’t want the suction line to sweat on a hot, humid day. I did not use flex lines at the indoor unit since it would add another coupling, add cost and is not really necessary. You will need one 1/4” and one 3/8”.

https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-66.../dp/B00MTWACSW

https://www.amazon.com/Rectorseal-66...2TP4ZESYPMF2QY
Old 06-09-2020, 08:30 AM   #468

Dave, Thanks for the information. I went with a 9000 BTU unit. I have a 12000 BTU unit at home in the mstr bedroom and see the size difference between room and camper. Also, the 9000 uses a bit less energy and second project will be 975 watts of solar and lithium batteries. Will tell with time how much solar can drive A/C. As soon as the unit arrives, which may take a few weeks, I'll order the flex lines from Amazon. Like to see the Pioneer as my unit at home is a Mitsubishi. Lol. This will be my first project for the Escape. The solar project will be my second. Will capture both builds and post pictures. Yours were most helpful with planning.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:51 AM   #469

Quote:
Also, the 9000 uses a bit less energy and second project will be 975 watts of solar and lithium batteries. Will tell with time how much solar can drive A/C.
That's exciting. You've probably seen me talking about solar and lithium in the thread. There are a couple guys out there doing it. Just can't justify the cost yet. You are in the right ballpark with the solar capacity. I assume you'll have at least 400AH of lithium? Please post your details as you will be the pioneer with mini-split/solar/lithium in an Escape.
Old 06-23-2020, 12:59 PM   #470

A/C came in, so starting the process of figuring out how I'll install specific to this unit. I worked on the bumper design and called a welder. Will have it built in July after I get tags. Due to COVID-19, I had to schedule appt a couple weeks out to get tags and title. Used wood mock-up to see what it would look like.

Click image for larger version

Name:	_DSF2846.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	106.2 KB
ID:	48027
Old 06-24-2020, 10:23 PM   #471

Quote:
A/C came in, so starting the process of figuring out how I'll install specific to this unit. I worked on the bumper design and called a welder. Will have it built in July after I get tags. Due to COVID-19, I had to schedule appt a couple weeks out to get tags and title. Used wood mock-up to see what it would look like.

Attachment 48027
Joel: Not sure how deep your outdoor unit is and clearance to trailer you are aiming for but that bump out looks a bit further off the back than I would have expected. Excited to see your progress on this.
Old 06-29-2020, 06:46 PM   #472

The bumper attachment sticks out 13 1/2". The picture angle makes it look bigger than in reality. I have not run the lines yet and have to put up a thin piece of wood along the back of the indoor unit to cover some gaps. Don't judge for final fitment just yet. Lol. The unit is inset 3 1/2" into the original cabinet. Will post all build pictures when actually done. This is being constructed at the same time I am building out the dinette area. During our Escape build, now known as Olive, we intentionally didn't have Escape put in a table. I am building an L shape dinette with a full cabinet that goes up to the window on the passenger side. The Lagun table system will swivel over the cabinet for storage.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSF2870.jpg  
Old 06-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #473

Quote:
The bumper attachment sticks out 13 1/2". The picture angle makes it look bigger than in reality. I have not run the lines yet and have to put up a thin piece of wood along the back of the indoor unit to cover some gaps. Don't judge for final fitment just yet. Lol. The unit is inset 3 1/2" into the original cabinet. Will post all build pictures when actually done. This is being constructed at the same time I am building out the dinette area. During our Escape build, now known as Olive, we intentionally didn't have Escape put in a table. I am building an L shape dinette with a full cabinet that goes up to the window on the passenger side. The Lagun table system will swivel over the cabinet for storage.
Joel: I would still test the mock up going down a driveway apron and having someone watch your clearance. You want to make sure your departure angle remains ok. Don't worry about following the distance guideline of the condenser to the shell to the letter. The two I built are operating fine with ~2-3 inches clearance. This may allow you to push the condenser tighter to the shell. Your indoor unit is coming along. I can see the Pioneer unit is different from the Fujitsu so requires different accommodations in the cabinetry. That's for the update. Keep the photos coming. I'm sure some will be interesting in the cabinet design you have underway in the passenger side dinette area.
Old 06-30-2020, 06:10 PM   #474

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
To address the potential issue with rear departure angle clearance, the support frame for the outside unit could be mounted on top of the bumper and frame, rather than on the same level.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 01:13 PM   #475

Just came back from my scheduled appt with the welder. I still have to clean, apply OSPHO, paint, etc. I'm attaching pictures with the spare and then the outside unit as that will give a perspective everyone can mentally visualize.
Attached Thumbnails
_DSF2872.jpg   _DSF2874.jpg   _DSF2879.jpg   DJI_0089.jpg  
Old 07-07-2020, 01:27 PM   #476

Quote:
Just came back from my scheduled appt with the welder. I still have to clean, apply OSPHO, paint, etc. I'm attaching pictures with the spare and then the outside unit as that will give a perspective everyone can mentally visualize.
Joel: Looking good! I like the way it turned out with the angled steel. I see you have the high lift kit so your departure angle doesn't look bad.
Old 07-07-2020, 02:15 PM   #477

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Yes, it looks like it takes up the space of another spare...love the entire unbroken roofline now, plenty of room for solar.
Old 07-08-2020, 12:39 PM   #478

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
...love the entire unbroken roofline now, plenty of room for solar.
And room without shading of the panels by an air conditioner.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 12:57 PM   #479

Although I was going to wait before discussing the solar setup and then put in a solar thread, I will show what is planned at this stage. Solar controller came in today, so making progress. I will probably start with two batteries and go as I can afford. Need two batteries to make it a 24V setup. Also, there are three 325W panels. I made two exact cutouts, so it takes two pictures to understand the full setup.
Attached Thumbnails
DJI_0076.jpg   DJI_0078.jpg   Escape 5.0 wiring.jpg  
Old 07-08-2020, 01:28 PM   #480

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
What is the inverter you’re showing? Looks like the transfer switch is incorporated in the inverter if I’m following the diagram.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote