Custom Air Conditioning Retrofit - Page 34 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 10-10-2022, 06:49 AM   #661
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Location: Townsend, Tennessee
Trailer: ‘22 21C
Posts: 43
Well that blows that theory since the whistle happens during the cooling phase which is low pressure?
LtDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 07:28 PM   #662
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
Update, I’ve replaced both no kink flex lines with solid lines, still waiting for the HVAC guys to come out and pressurize, leak test, evacuate and charge back up. Have a long string of complaint emails with Rectorseal, the No Kink manufacturer but they don’t seem to care their product in this case is apparently faulty….Can’t seem to upload a video with the whistle…probably too large a file…fingers crossed this is the final solution without the flex lines…
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:31 PM   #663
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
Hey guys….if you’ve removed the rooftop a/c for this mini split thread, did you also remove the thermostat that originally went with the a/c AND the heater and replace it with another thermostat for the wall heater only? Remember what thermostat you bought and what wires were used to control the heater? It’s probably in the thread somewhere but I’ve read through this whole thing a few times and I’m just being lazy at this point…😉
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:53 PM   #664
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
.... Have a long string of complaint emails with Rectorseal, the No Kink manufacturer but they don’t seem to care their product in this case is apparently faulty….
Just curious, in what specific respect did you find the No-Kink lines defective?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
..... thermostat for the wall heater only? Remember what thermostat you bought and what wires were used to control the heater? ....
This post might be of interest: Heat Only Thermostat Replacement
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Lariat SuperCab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:57 PM   #665
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just curious, in what specific respect did you find the No-Kink lines defective?
I was wondering the same. The 3’ set I put on Jake’s 21 a few years ago have been trouble free. (Full disclosure - this was after a leak in one line early on but I think it was due to a hit from some road debris)
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:58 PM   #666
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Hey guys….if you’ve removed the rooftop a/c for this mini split thread, did you also remove the thermostat that originally went with the a/c AND the heater and replace it with another thermostat for the wall heater only? Remember what thermostat you bought and what wires were used to control the heater? It’s probably in the thread somewhere but I’ve read through this whole thing a few times and I’m just being lazy at this point…😉
I removed my A/C but it was an older Dometic with built-in controls. The thermostat was already for heat only. The newer 21 I worked on did not have an A/C from the factory so again had dedicated thermostat for heat only. When they are integrated I’m not exactly sure what you need to do except I do know the furnace is a simple two wire make and break. If you can trace what color wires go to the furnace you should be able to isolate those and land them on a digital thermostat. Something like this will work fine:
https://www.amazon.com/LuxPro-Digita.../dp/B002SR9PHM
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:13 AM   #667
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
The lines I put in were 6’ long and that might make a big difference. Both lines whistle when air passes thru them, the 3/8” line sounds like a great elk bugle call! Perhaps the extra 3” of length creates some sort of turbulence harmonic, I don’t know. I’m still waiting for the Rectorseal folks to reply on getting them back, and they seem to want to find out. I wish I could upload a video giving the noise….it really hits home.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:20 AM   #668
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I removed my A/C but it was an older Dometic with built-in controls. The thermostat was already for heat only. The newer 21 I worked on did not have an A/C from the factory so again had dedicated thermostat for heat only. When they are integrated I’m not exactly sure what you need to do except I do know the furnace is a simple two wire make and break. If you can trace what color wires go to the furnace you should be able to isolate those and land them on a digital thermostat. Something like this will work fine:
https://www.amazon.com/LuxPro-Digita.../dp/B002SR9PHM
Thanks! I figured I could trace both sets of wires from A/C and heater to find out what goes to what. When the mini split is successful (and I have NO doubt it will) I’ll probably jury rig it into my shop and I might just take the thermostat with it.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 07:25 AM   #669
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tford View Post
Thanks! I figured I could trace both sets of wires from A/C and heater to find out what goes to what. When the mini split is successful (and I have NO doubt it will) I’ll probably jury rig it into my shop and I might just take the thermostat with it.
Just be careful. Not sure why but I think I heard that the furnace wires are routed up to a control box at the A/C before heading down to the Dometic thermostat. That might make it a bit confusing.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:17 AM   #670
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just be careful. Not sure why but I think I heard that the furnace wires are routed up to a control box at the A/C before heading down to the Dometic thermostat. That might make it a bit confusing.
Great point! When the rooftop comes off, I’ll really inspect wires up there and where they route to as well as their color. I’m figuring if I put another fantastic fan up there, I can just use the existing romex to carry 12 volts up there to the location…

And many thanks to you for starting this thread/idea, it’s more commonplace out there in trailers on YouTube and what not, but your pioneering effort here is appreciated along with the follow up members I’ve copied.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #671
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: USA, Texas
Trailer: 21
Posts: 637
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just be careful. Not sure why but I think I heard that the furnace wires are routed up to a control box at the A/C before heading down to the Dometic thermostat. That might make it a bit confusing.
You disconnect them from the dometic control box and splice them together. That’s all I had to do when I replaced the dometic wind tunnel with a recpro ac. Pulled old unit and control box complete out, spliced the wires together changed out the thermostat and heat works like it should. Ac is controlled by a remote
__________________
REMEBER PEEPS WHAT GOES AROUND COMES AROUND and PAYBACK is a #%$&$&
Rockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2022, 11:50 AM   #672
Senior Member
 
rubicon327's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Burlington Twp., New Jersey
Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Posts: 7,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockhead View Post
You disconnect them from the dometic control box and splice them together. That’s all I had to do when I replaced the dometic wind tunnel with a recpro ac. Pulled old unit and control box complete out, spliced the wires together changed out the thermostat and heat works like it should. Ac is controlled by a remote
Makes sense. This should help Tford when he digs in there.
__________________
Mods to Rubicon: https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post249508
“One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure.”― W.F.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 04:54 PM   #673
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
Success!!

Final HVAC visit today pressure tested, evacuated and charged the lines lines on the mini split…fired it up and WE NOW HAVE SUPER QUIET A/C AND HEAT!!!! Now if we could just get a response back from Rectorseal on their defective 6’ No Kink lines!😖
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #674
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,991
There's so many installation-specific variables in-play with this sort of thing that I'd be very hesitant to accuse the No-Kink of being "defective" in this situation. YMMV of course.

As with many similar products that can be installed in infinitely different situations totally beyond the manufacturer's control, Rectorseal's warranty, not surprisingly, excludes "fitness for a particular purpose".

I personally suspect your unfortunate acoustic phenomenon was likely due to the combination of routing, bends, fittings, and/or connected equipment characteristics particular to your installation; not because of a "defect" in the No-Kink product. Again, YMMV.

All that notwithstanding, I'm glad you've now got an installation that's working for you!
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Lariat SuperCab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 06:05 PM   #675
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
I REALLY wish I could post a video of just the line(s)…. I can guarantee that it was nothing but the lines. Everything BUT the 2 lines and the original 2 10’ mini split lines was replaced, including both the inside air handler and outside compressor units. Air moving through the no kink lines is like blowing thru corrugated tubing…
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2022, 07:38 PM   #676
Senior Member
 
Centex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: East of Austin, Texas
Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Posts: 2,991
I don't doubt that the 6 ft No-Kink lines were the source of the noise. I simply suggest that was due to them being unsuitable for your particular installation in all its details, not because they were "defective" in some respect (there is a difference).

The product has been around for a long time and has a very favorable reputation for easing many difficult-to-route installation challenges successfully. Certainly, the fact of corrugation makes the fluid-flow different from smooth lines, that's acknowledged by the effective-length correction factors published by Rectorseal for the product.

Please understand I'm not suggesting any blame or fault here, some things can't be reasonably foreseen or anticipated, no worries!
__________________
Alan E.
2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 Lariat SuperCab 6.5' box / Centex's 2021 5.0 Modifications
Centex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 10:14 AM   #677
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
😂🤪😂🤪😂🤞
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2022, 09:37 PM   #678
Site Team
 
John in Santa Cruz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Mid Left Coast, California
Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Posts: 5,187
Basic heat/cool thermostat wiring...
Attached Thumbnails
Wifi stat 4 wires.JPG  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2023, 07:08 PM   #679
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
Final update to the 5.0 mini split conversion, still works great and today received a payment from Rectorseal that generously covered all the extra HVAC visits with Freon charging (while we researched the source of the whistle) as well as the cost of the lines. Took quite a while working through the corporate system but great customer service reps got it pushed through their financial folks! Nice surprise in the bank account!
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2023, 11:21 AM   #680
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Comfort, Texas
Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
Posts: 337
3 weeks on the road!

And the mini split performed flawlessly in the 5.0. Just too bad we had to return to 104 temps back in central TX! Going to try to remove the old rooftop this week.
Tford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Escape Trailer Industries or any of its affiliates. This is an independent, unofficial site.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2023 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.