Custom Flip-up Table #1 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-02-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Custom Flip-up Table #1

We've had good weather during this time of self isolation. Perfect for a lot of exterior work on my house. I tend to work non-stop, never taking a coffee break but I do sometimes take a mod. break. I find that a change of focus works well when doing a large tedious job.

And whoever thought that the highlight of your week could be a trip to Lowes?

On the 19 the flip-up counter extension seemed like a no brainer. Worked well for us. The only negative seemed to be when it was holding a dish rack and a person wanted to use the door. Had to be pretty careful squeezing by not to bump it.

On the 21 we didn't order the flip-up extension by the door. On our Q'site-Baja shakedown trip that wasn't a problem with the larger counter space available. But what we did notice is that when using the pass through opening in the screen door it was awkward to reach things like drinks left on the end of the counter.

So I made a small extension shelf. It's lower than the main counter, easier to get things out and short enough that it doesn't cover the light switches. I had to improvise a bit, I didn't have any of the vinyl edge trim so I improvished. I used some oak edge banding that I had on hand. Painted it "Expresso", seems to be a pretty close match.

Happy to find that even in the up position that there's lot's of room to walk by.

Now, longing for a situation to try it out. We'll find out next week when Parks etc. open up again.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
26-04-2020 2-53-32 PM_0007_resize.JPG   26-04-2020 2-54-51 PM_0008_resize.JPG   26-04-2020 2-54-57 PM_0009_resize.jpg   26-04-2020 3-56-24 PM_0014_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 12:42 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Niiiiice! I bet I could put similar on the refrigerator wall of my 17. What dimensions did you use?And how high from floor? Also nice that you can get by without putting it down. Thanks!
Old 05-02-2020, 01:46 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Right on, Ron! Looking good. Tried to get into Home Depot yesterday. Looking for anything, real or imagined, to do. But they were making everyone wait in a long line outside. Maybe I'll just sweep the floors in the trailer.
Old 05-02-2020, 02:38 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
We've had good weather during this time of self isolation. Perfect for a lot of exterior work on my house. I tend to work non-stop, never taking a coffee break but I do sometimes take a mod. break. I find that a change of focus works well when doing a large tedious job.

And whoever thought that the highlight of your week could be a trip to Lowes?

On the 19 the flip-up counter extension seemed like a no brainer. Worked well for us. The only negative seemed to be when it was holding a dish rack and a person wanted to use the door. Had to be pretty careful squeezing by not to bump it.

On the 21 we didn't order the flip-up extension by the door. On our Q'site-Baja shakedown trip that wasn't a problem with the larger counter space available. But what we did notice is that when using the pass through opening in the screen door it was awkward to reach things like drinks left on the end of the counter.

So I made a small extension shelf. It's lower than the main counter, easier to get things out and short enough that it doesn't cover the light switches. I had to improvise a bit, I didn't have any of the vinyl edge trim so I improvished. I used some oak edge banding that I had on hand. Painted it "Expresso", seems to be a pretty close match.

Happy to find that even in the up position that there's lot's of room to walk by.

Now, longing for a situation to try it out. We'll find out next week when Parks etc. open up again.

Ron
Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:40 PM   #5
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Looks great Ron.

Quick question...the Formica...did you get it from ETI or through another source that carries the same brand of counter top material.

I presume the 'patterns/colours' are readily available from Formica.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 03:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Looks great Ron.

Quick question...the Formica...did you get it from ETI or through another source that carries the same brand of counter top material.

I can give you our answer; actually a heads up: We picked a custom pattern when we ordered our Escape. We specifically requested that we get any extra leftover formica. When we picked our trailer up, they told us: the extra is under the mattress. It was a goodly amount, and we've made use of it since.

That was 4½ years ago, so I don't know what's current, but make sure you have ETI write it up on the Build Sheet.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:00 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
We did just that when we ordered our 21. I have 3/4 of a sheet of our Formica. Stored it under the mattress for the trip home so it wouldn’t get damaged.
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:03 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post

Ron
Old 05-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Looks great Ron.

I have a good size piece left after I bought some at Formica shop . I will be bringing to Quartzite in Feb if will still get to have a ralley there . I will be selling very cheap because I changed out my Formica and really don’t have a need for anymore . It is a pretty good size piece . If someone is interested I will measure . Pat it is the original like Ron ‘s
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I ordered my new E21 I requested that they not drill a hole in the sink cover. I purchased different cover and converted the original cover into a flip up table on the night stand.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0834.jpg   IMG_0832.jpg  
Old 05-02-2020, 06:05 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Niiiiice! I bet I could put similar on the refrigerator wall of my 17. What dimensions did you use?And how high from floor? Also nice that you can get by without putting it down. Thanks!
It's 8 3/4" x 13" and 33" from the floor. However the height was determined by, hold it there, reach in and repeat several times. Different height folks might want it a little higher or lower for the optimum ease of reaching in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Right on, Ron! Looking good. Tried to get into Home Depot yesterday. Looking for anything, real or imagined, to do. But they were making everyone wait in a long line outside. Maybe I'll just sweep the floors in the trailer.
No long line ups here except for the food stores sometimes. Many folks are wearing masks. I do, I was lucky to have a good supply of N95 masks. So walking down the side aisles it's almost impossible to keep a good distance from others. The couple walking ahead of me both had masks on. When they stopped to ask a question to a store clerk who wasn't wearing a mask they, being polite Canadians and not wishing to offend anyone, removed their masks.

Quote:
Looks great Ron.

Pat very kindly gave me a piece for a backsplash behind the stove. When I needed some more I had ETI send me a relatively small piece. It was about poster size and didn't cost much. It'll show up in flip-up shelf #2.

I should clarify my comment about clearance going out the door if the counter extension is in use. That was on a Classic 19. The door being wider on the Gen. 2s probably don't have the same issue.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 08:32 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Thanks, noted and filed for later use!