Custom Front Box for 21NE? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2021, 08:15 AM   #1

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Custom Front Box for 21NE?

I know there have been mentions of custom front boxes, but my searches have not been successful in returning photos.

I am planning the purchase of our new 21NE and am ambivalent about ordering the Escape front storage box. At $800 I think it may be possible to have one custom made. Unfortunately, I do not have the skills to make one myself. I am particularly interested in whether or not to design it to contain both propane tanks and the batteries (not real sure it is a good idea to have both in the same box, either. Comments welcome.). I would have it made out aluminum, probably diamond plate. I am not really concerned with the esthetics of the box not matching the trailer, though weight and balance are important.

I would really appreciate photos of boxes folks have had custom made, both interior and exterior, as well as comments on how well it works and changes they would make now that they have used it for a while. Outside dimensions would also be very helpful.
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 08:46 AM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post264541

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post362402

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post362431

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post365140

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post307685

I don't know of anyone that has batteries and propane inside their custom storage boxes on an Escape but Ron in BC did make one that had both on his Scamp. Not advisable but if you do it I recommend generous ventilation.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post302568

Definitely take caution with how wide your box is for tight turns. I believe both Myron and Ron in BC damaged their original custom boxes.
Old 09-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
I know there have been mentions of custom front boxes, but my searches have not been successful in returning photos.

I am planning the purchase of our new 21NE and am ambivalent about ordering the Escape front storage box. At $800 I think it may be possible to have one custom made. Unfortunately, I do not have the skills to make one myself. I am particularly interested in whether or not to design it to contain both propane tanks and the batteries (not real sure it is a good idea to have both in the same box, either. Comments welcome.). I would have it made out aluminum, probably diamond plate. I am not really concerned with the esthetics of the box not matching the trailer, though weight and balance are important.

I would really appreciate photos of boxes folks have had custom made, both interior and exterior, as well as comments on how well it works and changes they would make now that they have used it for a while. Outside dimensions would also be very helpful.
I think you would be hard pressed to have a custom box done for less than $800..
Old 09-14-2021, 11:37 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
BTW, if you are a repeat new Escape owner, the front box is "gratis"........
Old 09-14-2021, 12:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Still? And, for how long?
Old 09-14-2021, 01:41 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am particularly interested in whether or not to design it to contain both propane tanks and the batteries (not real sure it is a good idea to have both in the same box, either. Comments welcome.).
They need to be in separate compartments (so propane won't enter the battery compartment and potentially sparking wires don't run through the propane compartment), with the propane compartment ventilated and not locked. Whether those two compartments are in the same structure doesn't matter.

The practical limitation seems to me to be the lid: if there is only one lid for both compartments, it can't be locked, and the dividing wall between compartments needs to go right to the lid. If you have two separate lids or doors, there's no issue.

I assume that the intention would be to extend the storage box so that it occupies the same space as the factory box, plus extend forward to include the propane tanks. If occupying nearly the whole tongue that way, the propane tanks could be relocated so the box doesn't have to be as wide in front as the stock tank configuration, which overhangs the tongue frame.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 03:23 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, and thanks to you making that comment a couple of years ago on the morning that I was taking delivery of my 21 I didn't have to make box #3.

Since I hadn't ordered a box they put the protective vinyl on the front which is why I have both. Glad to have both.

I'd say if you enjoy solving problems and making things, go for it. If you're doing it to save money maybe not so much. It is a good box.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:02 PM   #8

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Rubicon

Great job of searching. I did not even find the threads, not to mention specific photos!
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #9

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Rubicon
Great job of searching. I did not even find the threads, not to mention specific photos!
No problem. Are you using the Site Search / Google box? It works well for me.
Attached Thumbnails
B4C7B2D1-8E7E-46DF-86D8-CAE580BD3B86.jpg  
Old 09-14-2021, 07:32 PM   #10

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Opinions, ONLY!

I'd not try and re-invent the wheel, or an Escape front storage box. They are well made, well sized and very, very useful. Looks like you should forget the batteries and propane both in there. Mine, on a 19'er has running & set-up gear and the batteries in it. Propane is in front of the box, in its Escape supplied spot.

All that said, I did build my own box, as I bought used and sans a storage box.

See info in this link:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post362435

bon voyage,

P.S. Welcome back, Ron. I've missed your spot on, cogent information and contributions.
HABBERDABBER is online now   Reply With Quote