Custom Lagun Table Top - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-02-2022, 09:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Word quibbling

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Could also be a marlin spike.
What is the difference between a marlin spike and a FID?
The distinction between fid and marlinspike is a little fuzzy. Essentially the fid, typically made of a natural material, is employed when working with fibrous ropes and lines. The marlinspike, typically made of steel, is employed when working with wire cables. It was used to separate the strands of rope for splicing.

https://pvillage.org/archives/279113

My marlin spike, part of a knife, is a solid SS pin-like pointed shaft.
My fid is a pointed, hollow, tubular tool.

Now back to table tops!
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 10:05 AM   #22

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I think they are basically the same thing in that they are used for splicing lines.

I think of the FID as hollow and used more threading the different strands during the splicing of double braided lines and also for splicing polyethylene lines.
I think of the marlinspike as used for separating strands to make room for threading a strand during splicing of braided line or cable.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:02 PM   #23

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABBERDABBER View Post
What is the difference between a marlin spike and a FID?
The distinction between fid and marlinspike is a little fuzzy. Essentially the fid, typically made of a natural material, is employed when working with fibrous ropes and lines. The marlinspike, typically made of steel, is employed when working with wire cables. It was used to separate the strands of rope for splicing.

https://pvillage.org/archives/279113

My marlin spike, part of a knife, is a solid SS pin-like pointed shaft.
My fid is a pointed, hollow, tubular tool.

Now back to table tops!
A Marlin spike is used for splicing wire, a fid is used for splicing soft braid lines.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:05 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
I think they are basically the same thing in that they are used for splicing lines.

I think of the FID as hollow and used more threading the different strands during the splicing of double braided lines and also for splicing polyethylene lines.
I think of the marlinspike as used for separating strands to make room for threading a strand during splicing of braided line or cable.
Hollow fids are used to braid double braid line. " Core into cover and cover into core" requires a hollow fid that corresponds to the size of the double braid line being spliced
Old 04-02-2022, 04:13 PM   #25

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Yes, That is it. It has been years since I was splicing double braid lines and sailing the ocean. Some of the best years of my life. Now I remember that there were different FID sizes for different size braid. Fun stuff. And satisfying when done well.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:26 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
Every time a new ski lift is put up the cable for the chairs, or in this case the gondola, has to be spliced to the proper length. Very few world wide have the unique skills to do it and they are in constant demand. Check this one out from the gondola cable at Steamboat.

HarleyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 04:41 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
A pic of the Ash table I installed today in our e19 with newly upholstered cushions. The Lagun base was the first mod done to the trailer after we got it.
Attached Thumbnails
83744063-EA46-4DBD-9128-59DB5377CCFB.jpg  
Reid Larsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 05:56 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid Larsen View Post
A pic of the Ash table I installed today in our e19 with newly upholstered cushions. The Lagun base was the first mod done to the trailer after we got it.
Love the grain on the Ash..looks great!
Old 04-06-2022, 11:11 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape19
I’ve been looking at that exact table. Can you please tell me the measurements on that table? I have an NE21 on the way and want to replace the table with this folding one. The website has several different sizes available but I’d really love to know what that size is. It looks perfect! Thanks, Ann
Ascheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2022, 11:42 AM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
While we're at it, what is that tool that's used in rope work? Iron, about 8" long and tapered?
A fid and a marlin spike are both used in rope work specifically splicing. The marlin spike is just a spike(sometimes part of a pocket knife) to work knots free or work on the rope fibers when splicing. The fid is often tubular and is used to work the rope fibers around each other when splicing.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2022, 05:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
A fid and a marlin spike are both used in rope work specifically splicing. The marlin spike is just a spike(sometimes part of a pocket knife) to work knots free or work on the rope fibers when splicing. The fid is often tubular and is used to work the rope fibers around each other when splicing.
Fids were traditionally wood.. The tubular ones were used for splicing double braided lines. Wood ones have a tapered shape, the tubular ones are usually uniformed shape to correspond with the double braid rope being spliced.