DC to DC converter necessary when switching to lithium batteries? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-30-2022, 07:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Make sure it is powered by the tow vehicle or other 12V source. The device remains off until it sees input voltage.
Thanks Jon. I didn’t realize that. I had thought the converter received power from the trailer battery and the TV. I have an 2021 F150 so I’ll have to sort out when the truck is powering up the charge circuit.

Ed
edlynnrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2022, 08:33 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlynnrich View Post
Thanks Jon. I didn’t realize that. I had thought the converter received power from the trailer battery and the TV. I have an 2021 F150 so I’ll have to sort out when the truck is powering up the charge circuit.

Ed
If it helps, with my 2018 F150 I have to step on the brake, put the shifter in gear, and after a couple of seconds the tow charge line comes on. Not sure that putting the truck in gear is necessary - some have said just stepping on the brake for 3 seconds does the same. In any case, it stays on even after shifting to park & doesn't go off until you shut off the engine. It does not have to be set in Tow/Haul.
Old 05-31-2022, 09:13 AM   #23

Trailer: 2018 21C
For my 2021 F150 I actually have to be in drive and move the vehicle before the charger is supplied power and is seen by the app. Apparently Ford decided to do this to prevent accidental discharge of truck battery when plugged in and not running.
JimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 09:15 AM   #24

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
Question Baffled

Hi folks, I am reading through this because we have a 5.0 on order and plan to have the lithium and 2 solar panels option. If I understand correctly, we can have our tow vehicle charge the trailer's lithium batteries while we drive (in addition to the solar), but to do so, we need some sort of interface, which is Victron if supplied by ETI. Do I have all this right so far?

It really gets confusing reading through the comments, and makes me wonder if there are more drawbacks than advantage to this? Can anyone lay out the best approach in layman's terms for me? Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2022, 10:23 AM   #25

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
Hi folks, I am reading through this because we have a 5.0 on order and plan to have the lithium and 2 solar panels option. If I understand correctly, we can have our tow vehicle charge the trailer's lithium batteries while we drive (in addition to the solar), but to do so, we need some sort of interface, which is Victron if supplied by ETI. Do I have all this right so far?

It really gets confusing reading through the comments, and makes me wonder if there are more drawbacks than advantage to this? Can anyone lay out the best approach in layman's terms for me? Thanks!
If you are specifying the full solar package, it includes the Victron DC-DC charger.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #26

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
I installed a Victron 12/12-30 DC to DC converter in my 19 in conjunction with my Ridgeline truck. Because the 7-pin plug wiring is insufficient for 30a charging I installed a small breaker and 6 awg wire from the truck's battery to an Anderson SB50 connector on the rear. when I tow and need the truck to charge, I plug a short cable with Anderson connectors on each end to the truck and to the trailer to make the connection. It's worked well when I want to leave the fridge in DC mode. I also have a longer cable with Anderson connectors in case I just want to use to truck as a "generator" while boondocking.
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:37 AM   #27

Trailer: 2023 Escape 5.0TA
What are Anderson connectors? Is this something we can buy or have to make?
Thanks!
AuthorSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 10:49 AM   #28

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 towing with a 2019 Honda Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuthorSP View Post
What are Anderson connectors? Is this something we can buy or have to make?
Thanks!
you can probably buy some short cables with Anderson connectors, but I just make mine using 6 awg jumper cables

this is what I used on the back of the truck

these are the connectors for the cables

you'll need a crimper like this one

circuit breaker
the5reeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 07:08 PM   #29

Trailer: 19 - 2021
PowerWerx also has an ample assortment of Anderson connectors. Not sure how their prices compare. Probably not as cheap as amazon. They do a lot of custom cables though and I'm betting they could probably put together a corded plug for more money but less work on your part. Just another option.

https://powerwerx.com/anderson-power...-sb-connectors

I switched to the lower amp Renogy charger since I would have been pulling a little over 22A and my truck wiring is rated for 21A in continuous situations. Switching it was more work than expected, mostly due to the ring connectors; and if I had to do it again I'd look long and hard at running a separate power cable and going with an Anderson connector.
alanerickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2022, 11:15 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I disconnected the tow vehicle charge wire

Instead of installing a DC to DC converter, I disconnected the tow vehicle charge wire in the junction box attached to the trailer frame. As far as I can tell the only affect is my lithium trailer batteries are now charged only from the solar panel when I'm driving.
Old 06-09-2022, 06:18 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Instead of installing a DC to DC converter, I disconnected the tow vehicle charge wire in the junction box attached to the trailer frame. As far as I can tell the only affect is my lithium trailer batteries are now charged only from the solar panel when I'm driving.
Make sure your trailer brakes are still activated.....
Old 06-09-2022, 09:10 AM   #32

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Make sure your trailer brakes are still activated.....

Yes, the brakes get power from the brake controller through the blue wire.
Old 06-09-2022, 09:30 AM   #33

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I also disconnected the tow vehicle charge wire and rely on the solar.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2022, 09:59 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
If it helps, with my 2018 F150 I have to step on the brake, put the shifter in gear, and after a couple of seconds the tow charge line comes on. Not sure that putting the truck in gear is necessary - some have said just stepping on the brake for 3 seconds does the same. In any case, it stays on even after shifting to park & doesn't go off until you shut off the engine. It does not have to be set in Tow/Haul.
Thanks Jon. I’ll mess with it when we get home. Although I’m not sure how useful making a Bluetooth connection will be if I can’t see what the Victron is doing while driving.
Old 06-09-2022, 10:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimB View Post
For my 2021 F150 I actually have to be in drive and move the vehicle before the charger is supplied power and is seen by the app. Apparently Ford decided to do this to prevent accidental discharge of truck battery when plugged in and not running.
This appears to be even more complicated than Jon’s 2018. Did you find any benefit in making a connection?