Dickinson Cooktop Installation - replacing Suburban SD2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-25-2021, 06:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 19 ft.
Dickinson Cooktop Installation - replacing Suburban SD2

After completing our Cruise 195 INOX refrigerator/freezer installation, we replaced our Suburban SD2 cooktop. We installed the Dickinson Marine two burner propane drop in cooktop. There are many excellent forum threads on this product and installation. Thanks.

We removed our convection/microwave oven from the cabinet, and then easily removed the SD2. We decided to:
- Keep the Dickinson cooktop front the same distance into to cabinet as the old SD2 cooktop. The new cooktop trim is setback 1-1/2" from the countertop front edge.
- Place knobs on right side.
- Move new stove cutout as far right (to trailer rear) as feasible. The cutout distance from the right wall is 1-1/2". This is the closest I could get with our 12V Bosch saber saw. It also leaves plenty of room for the propane hose, which enters the cabinet front right, and the existing mains outlets and wiring.
- Fill in the old cooktop cutout until we make a final countertop material decision.

The Suburban cutout is too large front-to-back. We squared off the extra opening, and we filled it with 3/4" thick by 1-1/2" wide red oak furring.

After that, the installation was straight forward.

The distance from left cooktop trim edge to sink trim edge is 7-1/4". The distance from rear cooktop trim edge to backsplash is 6-1/4".

We like the result. Both Dickinson burners are under the vent hood. The convection/microwave will fit below.

Special thanks to j3cub for his outstanding guidance and recommendations.

73/gus
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 06:50 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Your pictures 2, 3 & 4 are distorted, show the Dickinson as a square stovetop, and don't expand for more detail. OTOH, as you've found out, the installation is really easy.

We decided to install ours with the front just barely covering the SDS2 cutout. In the rear I had about 1/4 to 3/8" opening exposed. I used a piece of the cutout countertop to fill the area and it was perfect. You'd be hard pressed to know a filler piece was at the rear of the stove.

However, it was just a practice run. Yesterday we received our new countertops to replace the stock top.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-25-2021, 06:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
My plan is to put the Dickinson in above the convection / micro in a 19 as well. We have the cooktop delete option.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Looking good with all of the galley mods, Gus!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:15 AM   #5

To µWave/convection or not µWave/convection

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
My plan is to put the Dickinson in above the convection / micro in a 19 as well. We have the cooktop delete option.
Smart planning!

The Dickinson Marine cooktop has a sturdy, rugged feel about it. We like the Dickinson's 6 inch to 10 inch pan width, as the SD2 limits pan diameter from 6.5 inches to 8.5 inches.

After 26 months and 34,574 Escape 19 trailering miles, we're finding that we're not using the convection microwave oven as often as we thought we would.

However, the Contoure RV-190S-CON is sure convenient. We've used convection about a to bake biscuits and Annie's organic double chocolate brownies. We use the microwave to reheat take out foods and to heat Amy's burritos.

We've found our meals to be more stovetop, like soups. Cooking stovetop is especially true when we setup the Jetboil Genesis camp stove outside.

So we are debating keeping our µWave/convection oven. Lots to consider. We have it out right now, and we may try that for the next few trips.

73/gus
Old 07-26-2021, 09:20 AM   #6

What countertop material?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
Yesterday we received our new countertops to replace the stock top.
What countertop material did you select?

73/gus
Old 07-28-2021, 08:09 AM   #7

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gklott View Post
What countertop material did you select?
Our cabinet maker/friend uses Wilson Art formica when he makes countertops. He made the entry and kitchen tops for $500. Plans are to use stick-on tile for the backsplash. When we get back from the "Family Campout" and twelve more days in northern Minnesota I'll be ripping out the old formica and install the new.

We priced Corian, but $1,700 (installed) was over our budget and needs. We could not find a place that would sell Corian without the install. We're having a butcher block cutting board made for the flip-up counter next to the sink and another butcher block board to go on top of the Dickinson stove. It appears the Dickinson stovetop is not an easy clean and she is used to a butcher block top on our old Suburban SDS2 and loved it rather than the glass top (that I had broken). Terry will then have a new sink, stovetop, and faucet in her kitchen. She's extremely excited!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-28-2021, 09:08 AM   #8

Rectangular cooktop for sure

Quote:
Your pictures 2, 3 & 4 are distorted, show the Dickinson as a square stovetop, and don't expand for more detail.
Thanks for this comment. The distortion is from the iPhone 12 wide angle. Attached are two images showing the installation without the distortion.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
dickinson_countertop_IMG_3985.jpg   dickinson_IMG_3984.jpg  
Old 07-28-2021, 11:52 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA/2022 Ram Hemi
I put Urethane on just one side of the Dickinson stovetop board. We hade no plans on using it as a cutting board and the coating helps to provide a durable work surface. Leaving the opposite side uncoated give the option to flip and in case we changed our mind on surface preference. I did notice after 36K miles the 4 points of contact on the grill to board surface was creating small indentations. Something that could be sanded out if opposite side is used for primary surface.
waltkaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:56 AM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
We could not find a place that would sell Corian without the install.
That seems to be the policy of the manufacturer: they don't want it going out without professional installation, presumably to avoid claims issues and damage to their reputation due to poor amateur installations, so they contractually prohibit distributors from selling it direct to consumers.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 03:11 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Exclamation Question

In my reading on this issue in a number of threads. It appears the reason is that Dickerson does not have CSA approval I'm assuming that's some governmental agency in Canada. But the real question to me is are they approved in the states. I don't know if we have some agency within the federal Highway safety conglomerate. The does that or is there no regulation. I'll put it out there for someone to figure this out.
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:03 PM   #12

QAI and RVIA seals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
In my reading on this issue in a number of threads. It appears the reason is that Dickerson does not have CSA approval I'm assuming that's some governmental agency in Canada. But the real question to me is are they approved in the states. I don't know if we have some agency within the federal Highway safety conglomerate. The does that or is there no regulation. I'll put it out there for someone to figure this out.
I made a query on this. Michelle Parry, at Dickinson Marine, replied: "Our bbq’s hold all the noted approvals and our propane heaters are ABYC approved." So the Dickinson propane stoves and cooktop are not "listed" appliances for use in RVs.

CSA Z240 (Canada) and NFPA 1192 (US) recreational vehicle life/safety standards require propane (and other) appliances to be "listed", meaning UL, ETL, or similar independent testing laboratory tested and certified for the specific RV application. Escape must meet Z240 to achieve the QAI seal, and US RVs must meet 1192 to receive the RVIA seal.

The Suburban SD2 is UL certified.

Wish ETI and other RV manufacturers could "encourage" Dickinson to get the propane devices listed.

Normally marine applications require ABYC standard approval, which is similar.

73/gus
Old 07-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2022 Lynne's Escape19 TV GMC 1500 4x4 Diesel/
Thanks

Thank You
Craiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 04:54 PM   #14

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craiger View Post
It appears the reason is that [Dickinson] does not have CSA approval I'm assuming that's some governmental agency in Canada. But the real question to me is are they approved in the states.
CSA was formerly known as the Canadian Standards Association, and it is indeed based in Canada, referenced by some government regulations in Canada (federally or provincially), and originally chartered by the federal government; however, it CSA was never itself a government agency. Still, since Dickinson Marine is in Canada the most obvious standards agency for them to work with would be CSA.

As already noted, Dickinson has not listed this appliance for RV use in the U.S., either.

In practice, this only matters to those wanting ETI to install the stove, although even then it might not matter. These standards are generally not enforced at the individual consumer level.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2021, 11:18 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
I made a query on this. Michelle Parry, at Dickinson Marine, replied: "Our bbq’s hold all the noted approvals and our propane heaters are ABYC approved." So the Dickinson propane stoves and cooktop are not "listed" appliances for use in RVs.

CSA Z240 (Canada) and NFPA 1192 (US) recreational vehicle life/safety standards require propane (and other) appliances to be "listed", meaning UL, ETL, or similar independent testing laboratory tested and certified for the specific RV application. Escape must meet Z240 to achieve the QAI seal, and US RVs must meet 1192 to receive the RVIA seal.

The Suburban SD2 is UL certified.

Wish ETI and other RV manufacturers could "encourage" Dickinson to get the propane devices listed.

Normally marine applications require ABYC standard approval, which is similar.

73/gus
Of course, none of that really matters to the aftermarket. And I can say with 100% confidence that if I were buying an Escape today, the first mod I'd do is to replace the faulty and dangerous Suburban SDS2 with the Dickinson. I installed one in 2016 and it's the best mod I've done.
Old 09-27-2021, 04:50 PM   #16

Propane attachment

Quote:
Thanks for this comment. The distortion is from the iPhone 12 wide angle. Attached are two images showing the installation without the distortion.
Attached is an image showing the propane connection from inside the cabinet where the Contoure RV-190S-CON convection/microwave mounts. The right-angle fitting is a Mb Sturgis Propane Adapter - 3/8" Female Swivel X 3/8" Male. Used two nylon clamps to hold the propane line in place on the right side of the cabinet.

73/gus
Attached Thumbnails
dickinson_propaneInCabinet_IMG_3994.jpg  
Old 10-07-2021, 07:20 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Installed the Dickinson stove. North Shore RV in North Vancouver did the installation for $250.00. I did replace the finishing strip at the top of the stove to cover a small gap left from the original cut out. I replaced their aluminum trim with a stainless steel piece to better match the stove.
The burners line up nicely with the overhead fan

Click image for larger version

Name:	52978CFB-4E42-45E5-92C2-9D7C776A307F.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	203.0 KB
ID:	58915
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2021, 08:34 PM   #18

Nice installation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post
Installed the Dickinson stove. North Shore RV in North Vancouver did the installation for $250.00. I did replace the finishing strip at the top of the stove to cover a small gap left from the original cut out. I replaced their aluminum trim with a stainless steel piece to better match the stove.
Looking good! We are happy with our Dickinson cooktop, and we suspect you will be the same. Watch out for the big burner! It sure puts out the heat. The big burner works really well though on the lowest setting with a Lodge griddle and the Omnia cooktop oven.

73/gus
Old 10-07-2021, 08:59 PM   #19

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Murry View Post

Attachment 58915
Looks great. You will have no regrets.
Old 10-08-2021, 10:37 AM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
Quote:
Looking good! We are happy with our Dickinson cooktop, and we suspect you will be the same. Watch out for the big burner! It sure puts out the heat. The big burner works really well though on the lowest setting with a Lodge griddle and the Omnia cooktop oven.

73/gus
Thanks for that. That Lodge griddle looks great. I think I will take the plunge and make the big purchase of one.
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cooktop, dickinson