Dickinson Marine 2 burner cooktop - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2020, 08:44 AM   #21

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
The 00-2BP as shipped includes a wooden 'cutting board' that fits flush with the cooktop mounting flange / countertop but does not require 'installation' per se - it just drops-in after the stove is installed in the countertop.

The stove as shipped also includes a pot-holder mounting rail with holders for two pots (left and right). That assembly projects above the mounting flange / countertop, fastens to the stove, not the countertop, is loose in the box (requires assembly to the stove itself), and though included its installation is optional - you would ask ETI to not install that pot-holder assembly, just return it to you loose (no need for it in the 'stable' RV / non-marine application). The pic linked below from the Dickinson website shows the rail with only the right-side potholer in place - note the two brass-colored thumbscrews that allow the user to install/remove the pot holder rail as needed.

http://dickinsonmarine.com/product/t...op-in-cooktop/
Old 11-21-2020, 08:50 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Dickinson Marine 2 burner cooktop

If I understand your question correctly, there is a wooden cutting board that fits inside the cooktop and sits on the grates when you’re not using the burners (This comes with the cooktop from Dickinson.) I do not have a picture of our cooktop in action, but the Dickinson website should show you the cooktop without the cutting board in place.

Found one: 8-inch Swiss Diamond skillet on our pickup trip:
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2122.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	251.8 KB
ID:	52197

We do not use the optional pot stabilizers: they’re still in the original packaging…
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 08:56 AM   #23

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you so much - Centex and MadCAT3! Your posts answer my question!
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:21 AM   #24

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
the one thing I think no has mentioned is both burners are really good at simmer
Old 11-21-2020, 10:24 AM   #25

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
Thank you! That's great to hear as well. I am really glad that I stumbled on this thread - and (since this morning) have new plans for the cooktop...
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 - June 27, 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
We were evaluating cooktop offerings in late 2017 when designing our trailer. There certainly have been newer designs to the market since then. Having said that, we would make the same choice again based on our experience to date.
Agree with Claude, we would make the same choice again. My wife loves it and we heavily use the counter space when not cooking. Quality product.

We got a great deal on ours back in Nov 2016: $500 CAD plus $60 tax, but we acquired it through Jim Bennett who was exchanging the cooktop for a Dickenson oven!
rjbny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
the one thing I think no has mentioned is both burners are really good at simmer
This is very true.

And at least on my Caribbean range, the left one is larger, and has 3 rings of fire (I believe) for even heat on pot bottoms. It also builds water fast.

A high quality piece of equipment.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 01:27 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Theses cooktops are fantastic. Here are some DIY installs:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tall-9375.html

For starters:
- Heavy duty construction; 100% stainless steel
- 11,000 BTU large burner, 7,000 BTU small burner
- Very even, triple flame burners with good resolution for turndown
- Electronic ignition
- Safety flame out system (shuts off propane)
- Flush mount with cutting board top

These can be found cheaper than list price but they are still pricey. You get what you pay for though.

Our original Atwood DV-20 stove did the job but it stuck up above the counter, had to be match lit, and had a small built in regulator that would vent a small amount of propane inside the trailer that you could sometimes smell. The newer Suburban cooktops supplied stock might be a little bit better but they are still no where near the level of quality and performance of a Dickinson.
Dave having our stove which I think is Attwood now since 2013 . No smell and the burners light when you turn knob . The oven we have to light with match but the burners light with the knob . This oven was a step up from our previous RV ovens so we are pretty happy . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:27 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Dave having our stove which I think is Attwood now since 2013 . No smell and the burners light when you turn knob . The oven we have to light with match but the burners light with the knob . This oven was a step up from our previous RV ovens so we are pretty happy . Pat
Understood Pat. I can’t comment on the Atwood oven only the 2 burner DV-20 cooktop.
Old 11-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Understood Pat. I can’t comment on the Atwood oven only the 2 burner DV-20 cooktop.
Something I learned and I am sure it’s ok . Camping with Laura and her pretty new 2 burner black stove top , I think because only one burner is larger , her knobs melted . If I remember right she did have the stove top mounted sideways , I would be careful with those stove tops and you have to be careful with the pan size . Not very ideal . Pat
Old 11-21-2020, 08:12 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Hi Pat- yeah, we've melted a knob- yet the advantage to the top mount Atwoods is you can use a 12" and a 10" side by side. Just gotta be aware.

Still looking- yet seeing some people complain about their cooktops not working above 4500'; they're getting the standard Dometic caveat for their 50211 which looks good otherwise.
Old 11-21-2020, 09:39 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadCAT3 View Post
I believe our cooktop came with some brackets to keep your pans from rolling onto the galley floor during those deep swells…
Those are fiddles. Every good marine stove is gimballed and has fiddles.

There you are Myron, more nautical terms.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 10:55 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Hi Pat- yeah, we've melted a knob- yet the advantage to the top mount Atwoods is you can use a 12" and a 10" side by side. Just gotta be aware.

Still looking- yet seeing some people complain about their cooktops not working above 4500'; they're getting the standard Dometic caveat for their 50211 which looks good otherwise.
Ross later I will send you pictures of all the stainless I put on the trailer . On for years now and no rust . I suppose if at sea got to clean up and polish but if good quality I can’t see any issues on our trailers .Also one of the things I loved about Oliver is everything is stainless on their trailers . We had a opportunity to see number 2 and there was no rust on their hardware . I was amazed also how great the fiberglass was . They didn’t do much in the way of waxing like we have too and their trailer still looked great . That’s why I mentioned getting the front box harps in stainless . When I find them if your interested I will let you know . Doesn’t make sense to change to another hasp you already had to paint . So far with our stove because where the knobs are no problems . 3 burners but in reality only use 2 . Pat
Old 11-21-2020, 11:20 PM   #34

Hi Pat- waiting for the latches and can return. Do you have a source for quality stainless ones?
Old 11-22-2020, 10:19 AM   #35

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This is very true.

And at least on my Caribbean range, the left one is larger, and has 3 rings of fire (I believe) for even heat on pot bottoms. It also builds water fast.

A high quality piece of equipment.
We are working on our 5.0 build and are trying to figure out the cooktop/oven situation. I am an avid cook and we have a high BTU cooktop at home. I am looking at the oven you have or possibly the 3 burner iteration. Any idea if ETI will install one of these Dickinson ovens? Is there a reason you chose the 2 vs the 3 burner? The new oven choice ETI is offering looks nice, but I can't find any information or reviews of it anywhere.
We would consider getting the stock cooktop and then perhaps install the Dickinson after market since my hubby is able to do those kinds of things himself. Just not sure how difficult it would be to do having never owned a trailer before!
Anyone with any insight into this whole oven situation would be greatly appreciated!
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:16 AM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I doubt Escape would install the range. I built my entire galley, but if the space is there it would not be a difficult modification.

We had initially looked at the 3 burner, but the size was too big for my liking and the extra space behind is really nice to have, plus we never use more than 2 burners at a time anyway. The oven is the same in both.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 11:22 AM   #37

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by okhcolot View Post
..... Any idea if ETI will install one of these Dickinson ovens? .....
This post and the one immediatly following may be of interest:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post362375
Old 11-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #38

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Thanks for the replies!
okhcolot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:06 PM   #39

Maybe with enough popular demand ETI would offer an RV Executive height counters option.
Old 11-22-2020, 07:23 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 17A - Ready for more Maiden Voyages ....
Shortly after I got my trailer, I found out about the Dickenson cook tops and really wanted one. After measuring, I discovered I was 1/2" - 3/4" short on vertical space for it to fit flush with my counter top. The problem was the placement of the propane furnace right below. My trailer is a 2015 - 17A .... perhaps there is enough room in other Escape models. I even considered pulling my counter top and raising it. For now, that project will have to wait as I can still burn all the food I make with the stock cook top I have.

Maybe in the future,

Tom