Dinette cushions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2020, 12:11 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Dinette cushions

Moving the cushions around in my U dinette to see where I wanted to install the Victron reminded me of wishing I had asked for separated cushions for the rear seat and back of the rear seat.

Get them! You won't be sorry.
Old 10-02-2020, 06:22 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We went to the 2018 Mississippi Rendezvous and two owners told us to make sure we split the cushions. We'd already signed off, but the cushions hadn't been made, so we got our cushions split. I feel sorry for those who don't.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-02-2020, 08:36 PM   #3

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Hi I recently placed a order and I'm find out how much there is to learn about the choices to make. This is the first time I've heard the term Split Cushions. Could you please elaborate as to what they are. Thanks Jim A.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 04:43 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Hi I recently placed a order and I'm find out how much there is to learn about the choices to make. This is the first time I've heard the term Split Cushions. Could you please elaborate as to what they are. Thanks Jim A.
If you have the optional wrap around dinette, the standard cushions for the rear seat behind the table go from one side wall to the other; they are long and some would say difficult to maneuver. Split cushions are simply two shorter halves rather than one longer single cushion. While some people have stated they are great or feel sorry for those who don’t have them, I personally like the appearance of the one piece cushions and I so rarely access the interior of the rear bench that it is an extremely minor inconvenience (if even that) for me. I probably access the interior of the rear bench once for every twenty times I access the side benches. It all comes down to personal preference. I can see that in the 5.0TA where the batteries are located under the rear bench, it would be more convenient to check the distilled water levels in the battery(ies) cells with split cushions if you have flooded lead batteries. I have AGM batteries which do not require this type of maintenance. Even so, there are battery watering systems available for flooded lead batteries that use a system of tubes and a hand pump (squeeze bulb) to keep water levels proper, and it can be accomplished in the 5.0TA by running the “feed” tube a few inches into the side bench. Actually, the last time I accessed the rear compartment was two years ago, when I added a 2,000 watt inverter. I mounted the control switch accessible inside one of the side benches and I really do not have to move cushions to lift the lid slightly to get to the switch.
Old 10-03-2020, 07:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
G&G, Thank you prompt a thorough reply. I had no idea what split cushions meant. I plan on ordering the u shaped so I will have get this some thought . Thanks again Jim A.
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:24 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I recently had my rear cushions partitioned and it really makes it easier to access the rear compartment without having to remove the table. A simple saw cut on the bottom wood lid and adding 2 hinges and done. I believe the factory charges $300 for the option if done there.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1593.jpg   IMG_1594.jpg   IMG_1595.jpg  
Old 10-04-2020, 06:40 AM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I recently had my rear cushions partitioned and it really makes it easier to access the rear compartment without having to remove the table. A simple saw cut on the bottom wood lid and adding 2 hinges and done. I believe the factory charges $300 for the option if done there.
Hi Jim. Hope your recovery is going well.

I just want to point out that the times I have accessed the rear compartment with my “un-split” cushions I have never had to remove the table.

I didn’t realize it was a $300 option from ETI because I hadn’t looked at the options list recently. Always good to save money. So for the benefit of those who may be considering ordering split cushions, can you post how much less it cost you to do it “aftermarket,” (cost of hinges and upholstery work), and where you got the upholstery work done.
Old 10-04-2020, 07:54 AM   #8

My cost was $250 for upholstery, hinges not included.
Old 10-04-2020, 08:23 AM   #9

Trailer: 2021 Escape E5.0; 2021 F150 PowerBoost
We have yet to finalize the order sheet for 5.0 TA and will be getting Lithium batteries.

Question - Would the Lagun mount have an impact on this discussion about the access?
kavm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 09:21 AM   #10

More Pictures

Much easier to get into either side.

The GoPower controller sits neatly on the box containing our various bug sprays/Thermacells. Don't need to see the GoPower since we have a Victron 712 battery monitor. Underneath that box is a now nearly empty box of doodads. In the back is our Victron 100/20 controller for our portable neatly installed on a board. The shunt sits on the battery box and is held on by velcro where it's been riding for the past 20,000 miles. We have AGM batteries, so no need to open the box. The GoPower is loose, and has been since we picked the camper up from ETI.

Area with the filler cushion creating a lounging area.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-04-2020, 09:56 AM   #11

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Perryb67,
Thanks for those images ( and you too Jim). What width is your filler board?
So when ordering, ask for cushions to be split on the U dinette. Is that correct?
Old 10-04-2020, 10:45 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Perryb67,
So when ordering, ask for cushions to be split on the U dinette. Is that correct?
I ass u me you mean front to back. I'll need to go to the camper to check the front/back measurement, but both were identical.

We also had the rear bench made 22" front to back instead of the standard 19" (?). If you choose the standard size the opening for the fillers is 3" larger front/back. There is just the two of us, yet we've had four adults in the camper for dinner with one on a camper chair in the isle. We sat for four hours inside having great conversation while it was raining and about 35 degrees outside. For us, no doubt about it, we'd get the 22" rear bench again!

We also had 4" seatback cushions made instead of the 2" that is standard with a u-shaped dinette. That way our backs don't hit the window knobs, nor the knobs holding the string for the window shade. At the 2018 Mississippi Rendezvous we had a couple of owners wish they had split the cushions, made the rear seat 22", and have 4" cushions. You'll need to have a 22" rear bench or only expect small children to sit in back with 4" seatback cushions. With the 22" rear bench and 4" cushions adults can sit in back.

Since both our filler cushions are identical in size we leave one at home. When our granddaughter camps with us we use the side dinette seatback cushions to fill the space. We carry the second board for those seatback cushions, making it into a bed, underneath our mattress.

If I had to do it over I would make one filler cushion two inches front/back larger than the other. OTOH, if you want to save some money just purchase one filler cushion. Make sure they put "filler cushions" on your order. We did, yet they included a second set of dinette seatback cushions instead, that do not work as filler cushions. We had filler boards made 500 miles from Sumas when we realized their mistake. Once we got home we had them send the correct filler cushions. They told us to just keep the second set of seatback cushions and they're in storage for our children to throw away.

ETI charged for these mods:
$235 - Extend Back Bench to 22"
$200 - Cushion Modification
$ 65 - 4" Thick Back Rest Cushion
$210 - Two Filler Cushions
$100 - Full Wrap on Cushions
These prices are from September 2018 and we picked up the 5.0 on October 26, 2018.
For us, we would spend this money again in a heartbeat!

Also, we have no fixed table in back and don't miss it. TETO! We have a simple portable that is mainly used outside, but doubles as an indoor table. However we haven't used it inside for at least the last 200 nights. We use a bar tray for drinks and condiments.

I'm dyslexic and sometimes have problems writing thoughts like this down. If you want, PM me your phone # I'd be glad to talk.

Any camper is a lot of money. Research wisely!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-04-2020, 11:22 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by splicer View Post
Perryb67,
On my filler board I used 2 pcs 1x4 trim cut to measure and installed the corner cushions.....
Attached Images

Old 10-04-2020, 07:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2021- 5.0
Thanks Perry and Jim for this information.