Dinette table in the 19 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 19' Escape
Dinette table in the 19

Hi...
I am looking for input about the dinette table. I know there had been a post, that I could not locate,about the dinette table and legs. A number of owners like the hinge style but I am not really clear on why. is there an added cost to go with the hinge style?

Any info would be much appreciated!
cheers, Janet

we are the Worth's and this is our little fort....Fort Worth
Janet W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19ft Escape "Eggy Sue"
Re: Dinette table in the 19

Exactly my question too!!! Thanks. Peter
2002 Toyota Tundra 4X4
peter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

Does the hinge style slide side-to-side like the pillar style? I wouldn't give up that feature.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:18 PM   #4

I know that the hinge style does not slide side to side and the people who have the hinge tables have had their table tops trimmed for easy access.

Old 09-26-2012, 08:14 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19

Hi Janet,

We have just been through that process with our 19 (that we are picking up next week )

You know that the standard table has the slider to let the driver side person in, as well as the larger leg posts (requiring bases permanently screwed to the floor), while the hinged table is 8" shorter because without the slider it would difficult to get in. It is basically the same table that is in the back of the 17.

We like that the folding leg is smaller and does not require a base screwed into the floor; it makes for a smooth surface underneath when made up into a bed- easier to stow boxes etc. We're hoping the smaller folding leg leaves us a little more space under the table for our puppy dog's bed.

Reace gave us the option of leaving the passenger side of the tabletop square rather than cut at the same angle as the driver side; this makes for an asymmetrical table but gives a little more area. Since we are losing 8" of tabletop length we decided to go for this.

Some people have said it is easier to set up the dinette bed with the hinged table and smaller leg rather than with the standard size with the larger legs; Tammy said she doesn't find the bigger posts that difficult. If you do get the hinged table they give you an extra piece to fill in the gap that's left because of the smaller table top.

You have to decide you want this change before they begin building because they have to add extra reinforcement where the table joins the wall. They didn't charge us any extra for this modification.

Since there are only the two of us, we were happy to compromise the length of the table for the other advantages. We posted our happy experience with getting this option at http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=2238.15
There is another link at http://escapeforum.org/index.php?topic=2242.0 about earlier discussions on the table.

We'd be happy to post some photos of our table next week

Rosemary
Glennrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray
Does the hinge style slide side-to-side like the pillar style? I wouldn't give up that feature.

Bruce
Hi Bruce,
The slide isn't possible on the hinged table because of the design; but Reace made the hinged one short to accommodate getting in and out. I think the sequence began with making a larger table for the 19, which led to the development of the slider. I have pondered whether someone really talented in those sort of things & looking for a project could fashion some kind of add on sliding table for when you need the larger space!
Rosemary
Old 09-26-2012, 10:43 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape

We found the small dinette table in the 17 quite wobbly--have just used a piece of felt around the leg of the base--pounded in firmly to make it more stable (we don't take that table up and down) as well as those felt glued weatherstripping strips along the wall side of the table seems to help--- it holds the table out a smidge and doesn't sqeek against the vinyl headliner... (yes, I am picky!)
Old 09-27-2012, 04:56 AM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I have no issue with the posts. We have had four at the table a bunch of times for eating and playing cards in poorer weather. They do wobble a little bit if leaned on, but nothing too bad.

Though the idea of a single leg and fixed to the wall would be fine, I sure would not want a narrower table. As it is, the seat backs are a good distance from the table edge, and it is awkward to sit against the backrest and reach the table.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 09:28 AM   #9

We have the standard posts and have had no issues with the table. We find it very easy to take down or put up. Sure, it's a little wobbly if you lean on either end, but it's not bad at all for a piece of furniture that's not permanently attached. The ability to slide the table back-and-forth is pretty dang cool...I would not give that feature up. As Jim said, it's already a good distance from the bench seats to the table, so I also would not want a table that was any narrower because then you'd really have to lean over it.

Jeff
jeffkoncz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett
Though the idea of a single leg and fixed to the wall would be fine, I sure would not want a narrower table. As it is, the seat backs are a good distance from the table edge, and it is awkward to sit against the backrest and reach the table.
I don't think the table is any narrower, because it still has to fit between the benches as the base for the bed; so the distance from the bench seats to the table should be the same. It is the length of the table that is shorter (by 8".) That would definitely be a concern if more than 2 people were going to sit there. We were undecided for a long time before going for it, and were a little sad to give up the slider. We'll let you know how we feel about it once we've had a chance to live with it for a bit. My hunch is that it wouldn't be that difficult to go back to the factory and have the standard table put back in if we don't like it. :P

Rosemary
Old 09-27-2012, 02:40 PM   #11

So if I understand it right it seems that the advantage of the hinged style is the ease of converting to the bunk. Is one style sturdier than the other when used as your dinette?

It has surprised me how many more question pop into my mind when I think we have it all figured out!

Cheers Janet

Old 09-27-2012, 06:23 PM   #12

Thanks for that clarification, Janet. That makes good sense. We seem to use all of our table, and would sure miss even 8".

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 10-15-2012, 12:03 AM   #13

We've had a couple of weeks now trying out the table modification in our new 19. We LOVE it! It gives us the extra room we wanted under the table for our pup's bed. The table is very secure and stable; there is lots of space to get in and out, and more than enough table area for our needs. I find that more often than not I sit at the angle rather than all the way in, as I am the one getting up and down most; it is very comfortable. We haven't had the need to collapse it down for a bed yet, but it is very simple to do. One other thing we hadn't considered is that by shortening the length of the table by 8" we have that much more floor space. This is not something I would particularly recommend if more than 2 people were using it, but for just the two of us it is perfect

Rosemary

Old 10-15-2012, 08:14 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19

Thanks Rosemary... This looks like a good compromise.

One of our concerns is the shortage of counter space. I was thinking of building an elevated cutting board that sits on the dinette table (something like http://gizmodo.com/5905403/this-awes...oducts-in-one, but maybe a little taller to raise the work surface enough so you don't have to stoop over to work at it). Your hinge with single leg is probably more than sturdy enough to work as a counter, but I'm wondering if the normal legs would work this way -- if they wobble at all, are they going to make a good work surface?

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 06:55 PM   #15

Hmmm - can't speak to the wobbliness of the "normal" table, but ours is as solid as a rock. One thing we brought that has proven useful is a folding bed table. We use it set up on the bed as a table for our laptop when we want to cuddle up with a movie (we add little speakers to make the event more "theatre like" lol)

Don't see why it shouldn't be usable for extra counter space, although it probably wouldn't be the most stable for cutting, it would work to stash extra things you will imminently need when cooking like extra utensils , bowls in waiting etc.

Old 10-16-2012, 07:20 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 15-A

Hey Rosemary and Glenn. We have a new 15A and live in Victoria as well. Where did you get the little bed table at? Looks like something we can use.
Regards
Scott
Kærnehuset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2012, 09:22 PM   #17

Hi Scott,

Congratulations on your new 15A - Hope you are enjoying it!

Yup, we're both Victoria area born & bred. Glenn's family actually hail several generations back from Salt Spring Island

We are still on our maiden voyage with our new 19', which we picked up Oct 2 - as of this writing we are in Tecopa California, just outside of Death Valley. It is HOT and DRY, so, hearing about the - um - "seasonal" weather we hear Victoria is having right now, we definitely are going to stretch it out as long as we can

I believe the little table came from Canadian Tire. We've had it for some time; it has been most useful for many different purposes. Glenn says he thinks a similar one is available at Bed, Bath & Beyond.

Rosemary
Old 10-16-2012, 09:36 PM   #18

That looks like a good idea, Rosemary. Especially as a bit of extra counter space.
Old 12-25-2014, 02:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19'
Hi Rosemary. We're planning our new 19', and really like the floral fabric you have. Is it from Sailrite or something you found locally. Thanks.
Dave Rosebaugh is offline   Reply With Quote