dinette table with legs that are not attached to the trailer - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-26-2017, 03:39 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape #2 On The Way
Thank you. I'll give it a go.
J
Bakes99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:57 PM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
They are nice folks out there. There's no logistical way I can help you right now. I'll be near Elkhart later this summer as my daughter lives in Ft Wayne. But my only trip west this year will be to Osoyoos in three weeks . I really like our unit, it's been trouble free for the two years we've had it. We have 4 different tables for the 19, a full size, a full size cut in two. And the one on the frame. That one is our favorite and works great for the two of us.
That shipping is a killer.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 04:43 PM   #23

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
I received the Snap 2 table base yesterday finally. It looks nice. I haven't attached the table top to the base yet, but I think I'm going to like the final solution.

One thing that concerns me is the possibility of having the table pop-up while driving, either all the way or an inch or two above the rails. In that case it might damage something. To those who own one of these, has that been a problem and if so, how did you solve it. I noticed that the R-Pods have a strap attached to the seat rails to lock down the table. The other solution I thought of was to tie a rope around the hinge making sure it couldn't unfold very far, but I think it could still raise up an inch or two and escape the rails that lock the table top in place.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:03 PM   #24

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
I received the table base yesterday finally. It looks nice. I haven't attached the table top to the base yet, but I think I'm going to like the final solution.

One thing that concerns me is the possibility of having the table pop-up while driving, either all the way or an inch or two above the rails. In that case it might damage something. To those who own one of these, has that been a problem and if so, how did you solve it. I noticed that the R-Pods have a strap attached to the seat rails to lock down the table. The other solution I thought of was to tie a rope around the hinge making sure it couldn't unfold very far, but I think it could still raise up an inch or two and escape the rails that lock the table top in place.
If you are referring to the springflied base . Never a problem . You can tighten the lock downs if need be . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 06:09 PM   #25

My guess is he's talking about the snap 2 not the Springfield
Old 05-13-2017, 06:28 PM   #26

Yes, talking about the Snap 2. Edited my note above to make it clearer.
Old 05-13-2017, 06:29 PM   #27

Table

Paul
In about 20000 miles of towing our Snap 2 has never hopped up off the rails or come out of the folded position. The table we built is about 6 inches short of the length of the rails it sets on so I cut a little stop about 3/4x 3/4x6 inches with a matching taper on the table end and installed it on the rail. This keeps the table from sliding ahead although it really doesn't seem to want to. I pulled the end caps out of the tubing legs put an interior nut on the leveler screws and then tightened the outer nut against the tubing so the leveler would stay at the desired setting and not move due to vibration. Then I pushed the protective caps back in.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Yes, talking about the Snap 2. Edited my note above to make it clearer.
Opp's sorry . I think I know what the Snap is now . If you have some vinyl , cut strips and get a snap kit and you could in case ,snap strips to hold onto . I hold the bathdoor, foldup door ,gate curtain at bed etc. using snaps . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 03:17 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
Paulk - I want your Dicor slide if it's available! PM me!
Hi Ljswany -- It's available. Details posted here:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...tal-10251.html
Old 06-29-2017, 03:51 PM   #30

After having used my table for a few weeks, I thought I'd post a note saying how much I like this system! In most respects it's functionally equivalent to the two pole setup that ETI is currently using. I think it might be a bit more stable in terms of how much it deflects when you press down on a corner. Since it's not attached to the floor you can push it laterally a little bit just like your table at home. I've gone on two trips with it now and I haven't needed a strap or anything to hold mine down. The cushions seem to hold it down fairly well.

Probably the biggest negative over the ETI system is that you have the lateral table legs stabilizers at the floor that you need to step over when getting into the space, but it hasn't really bothered me.

I still think the main/only reason why you would consider this table is if you wanted to sometimes move it outside. It requires a bit of dexterity, but getting it outside isn't too difficult once you figure out the motions.

If anyone else is considering getting this, I'd recommend asking ETI to make a custom table with 2 pieces instead of 1. I asked for a 12" filler strip and 39.5" main table with 3" corner cutouts at the front. When attaching to the folding table you need some extra room in the back because the folding mechanism pushes the hardware forwards during the bend and because of the angle of the wall in the rear behind the table. You should put the rear table rail about 12" from the rear of the table which leaves the legs about 1.5" from the wall when lowered into a bed position. That leaves about 3.5" at the front, so it's a bit lopsided, but thankfully the wall in the back stabilizes it from tipping backwards if someone puts pressure in the rear. When moved outside you'd want to be a bit careful to not press on the rear side too hard, but it's not a big issue, and hey, it's an improvement from having no table outside
Old 08-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Opp's sorry . I think I know what the Snap is now . If you have some vinyl , cut strips and get a snap kit and you could in case ,snap strips to hold onto . I hold the bathdoor, foldup door ,gate curtain at bed etc. using snaps . Pat
Just a heads up for anyone wanting the snap 2 in Canada, they are no longer shipping this to us. We are in a major city, but didn't really make a difference because she didn't even ask where I was calling from. Sucks because this is the one we really wanted. Apparently they had some returns that ended up costing them more then the product.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:03 AM   #32

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
I still think the main/only reason why you would consider this table is if you wanted to sometimes move it outside. It requires a bit of dexterity, but getting it outside isn't too difficult once you figure out the motions.
Is not another reason the ease in which one can put the table up/down? How has your experience been with this? The ease of setup/takedown is what attracted me to this potential solution, as I had a trailer in the past with poles and I just thought it was a bit frustrating to set the table up sometimes trying to line them up. So I wonder with the actual table one it how easy it is.
It's also self contained, whether up or down there are no extra poles to store anywhere, which seems more elegant.
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 04:09 AM   #33

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Also I forgot to ask, can you maintain the table lateral slide capability while using this stand?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 07:31 AM   #34

Snap 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Also I forgot to ask, can you maintain the table lateral slide capability while using this stand?
Yes the table will still slide side to side. We built a custom table with a snap 2 base for our
U shaped dinette on the 19 and it worked great. While we do not have a U dinette on the 21, I predict we will be building a table at home and picking up a base the next time we get through Elkhart. Rita could put it up and down easily and it
Made for easy access to the dining area. We took it Outside on a couple occasions when we wanted to slow dance to an Orbison song in the trailer. Quality was good, had the base for over three years, never a problem.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-28-2017, 09:41 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Now that is s sight to be seen, Iowa Dave waltzing or doing the cha cha...maybe we should have dance lessons at the next rally, I love to ballroom dance.....
Old 09-28-2017, 09:55 AM   #36

CPA Harley AKA Arther Murray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Now that is s sight to be seen, Iowa Dave waltzing or doing the cha cha...maybe we should have dance lessons at the next rally, I love to ballroom dance.....
You give the lessons I'll take them I lead. if you step on my toes I quit.
Dave
Old 09-28-2017, 11:54 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Is not another reason the ease in which one can put the table up/down? How has your experience been with this? The ease of setup/takedown is what attracted me to this potential solution, as I had a trailer in the past with poles and I just thought it was a bit frustrating to set the table up sometimes trying to line them up. So I wonder with the actual table one it how easy it is.
It's also self contained, whether up or down there are no extra poles to store anywhere, which seems more elegant.
Yes, putting the table up and down is as easy or easier than other systems. The dual pole setup is probably the hardest to setup and takedown. The old system where ETI attached the table to the wall with a fold up support was probably as easy as the Snap 2. The Snap 2 is easier, in my opinion, than the Springfield 3 stage as the controls are close to the front edge and high up instead of on the Springfield's pole at the center and down low.
Old 09-28-2017, 12:16 PM   #38

Trailer: None now
Quote:
Yes, putting the table up and down is as easy or easier than other systems. The dual pole setup is probably the hardest to setup and takedown. The old system where ETI attached the table to the wall with a fold up support was probably as easy as the Snap 2. The Snap 2 is easier, in my opinion, than the Springfield 3 stage as the controls are close to the front edge and high up instead of on the Springfield's pole at the center and down low.
What is the measurement from floor to top of the snap 2 where it screws into the table?
wetzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:09 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetzk View Post
What is the measurement from floor to top of the snap 2 where it screws into the table?
27", per their website. The height is good for me without the slides. You can move the table a few inches just by pushing it around on the floor. If you want more height you could put some wood between the table and the Snap 2 top without causing it to get too high in the bed position.

https://factoryrvsurplus.com/product...ble-base-v-40/
Old 10-01-2017, 11:49 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Appreciated Forum help to plan Snap 2 in our new 19'

Even though our new 19 won't be completed until March, we wanted to thank the Forum, and particularly this thread and paulk for helping us plan for a Snap 2 table in our 3rd Escape.

We'd taken to sleeping at opposite ends of our previous 19, in order to avoid climbing over one another for nightly trips. It wasn't that much trouble to convert the front dinette to a bed at night, and move the extra bedding on top of the queen bed during the day. We realized, however, that a lot of space was dedicated to the permanent queen bed. And, we missed the great rear dinette view in our 17'!

Pkgman51 got us thinking about reversing the dinette and bed in a new 19'. Rather than converting the front dinette to a bed each night, we could plan the rear area as the convertible space. Important to this set-up, though, is a table that is easily raised and lowered.

We've had the standard ETI pedestal and then the pneumatic Springfield pedestal in both the 17' & the 19'. For the same reasons previously mentioned in this thread, we wanted something simpler--as well as a table with less wobble. After actually trying IanG's Snap 2 at the Rally, we were convinced. With the Snap 2 decided, we moved on to other details for the rear dinette space.

For the front dinette conversion to bed in our previous 19' we trimmed down a twin bed memory foam topper so it could easily be moved (by the smaller of us!) from one end of the trailer to the other. We used a topper in conjunction with a tri-fold pad, 35" wide, so we knew we wouldn't need the entire 60" depth of the rear dinette for sleeping space.

After considering several table sizes, we decided on 42" based on Paulk's good advice: ample room for 4 people/extra kitchen counter/project or office area; can be moved all the way to back wall, leaving approximately 18" of open space to sit down on benches before table begins; after people are seated on benches, table can be centered in the space, leaving elbow room on either end (diners needn't slide all the way to the back wall in order to have the table in front of them). Since we will have plenty of space to get into the table--and the Snap 2 can be slid a bit from side to side--we decided to forego the corner cuts and simply have the corners rounded.

ETI will be cutting the standard (approximately 57") table in two: 42" and a "filler" of about 15", so that the entire area could also be converted to a bed. We also ordered 2 back cushions for each side, the larger being 42".

Unlike Pkgman51, we will have no permanent mattress. Although we will leave the front made up as a bed, ETI will build it as a regular dinette, so there will always be the option to use the space either way. We are providing 2 Sequoia pedestals, which have low profile bases to allow easier storage under the bed.

Some people have requested an update on our build plans, hence the long post.

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote