Dishes storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5 TA
Dishes storage

Any ideas where and how to store/ organize plates bowls and glasses/ mugs so they are not a jumble after road travel.
Greg and Kathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA Sold
I put non slip runners in the cabinets (cut up yoga mats work) and use bins I bought at Ikea to hold stuff in place. Unless the road is particularly rough so far it works.

Sometimes not having any idea where we're going works out better than we could possibly have imagined. Ann Patchett
runnergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:19 AM   #3
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Custom sized cabinet storage dividers for upper and lower cabinets can be found on my web page. Uppers look like this:

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19, previously 2006 17B
Good question. We have used cut up yoga mats for years under the dishes in the upper cupboard over the sink. We then stack the large/small plates and bowls with non skid shelf liner cut into small squares. We have also put yoga mat under the pots and pans in the lower cabinet space
We have done many off-road miles with an Escape 17 and 19 over 12 years and our plate set remains unbroken.
Escapist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We bought these several years ago and with a shelf mat underneath they work great.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0595.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	42167

Name:	P2180088.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	42166
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 12:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I keep one Melmac dish & tray as well as one real wine glass (wrapped in paper towels) in an upper cabinet, they are for special occasions. Most of the time I eat on paper plates & drink out of plastic cups. Spending the winter dry camping in the desert, doing all possible to limit water use, paper & plastic helps.
Old 09-26-2019, 02:25 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Having spent 330 nights in our Escape 15B over 8.5 seasons, before stepping up to an E19 this year, storage space was at a premium. We kept (and still use) a plastic deviled egg holder (with a lid) from Walmart to keep Corelle plates, and an assortment of paper plates, as our plate "container" Plastic two piece wine glass (from REI) were kept in a drawer until we stepped up, now in a small cloth door hanging storage organizer. Bowls (Corelle and paper) are kept in a fitted plastic bag, next to the plate container and the insulated mugs and coffee filters and filter holders are kept in a plastic tray. Everything is super organized.
rajenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2019, 04:15 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
mine are not organized im going to try some of the above suggestions!
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 12:50 AM   #9

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Dishes in the bottom cabinet. Straight up, in a perfect fitting box with the front top half cut out.
Cutlery also in bottom cabinet. Bought a bamboo cutlery holder that perfectly fits there.
Coffee mugs and glasses in plastic containers in cabinet under sink.
Coffee pot in bottom cabinet, as well as a “nest” of pans.

We like to keep heavy stuff packed close to the floor.
Only light stuff goes into the upper cabinets.
Old 09-27-2019, 09:31 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
I added some pull outs that work really well. Our glass mugs have survived unscathed for 10k miles now. Very easy access also. After installing the dish drawer I saw a lot of unused space above so I did a silverware drawer above. My wife came home with a plastic tray that fit the drawer and we now have even more space under the tray.

Did something similar to the pantry cabinet for our pots and pans. That slide out not only holds our pots and pans securely, there is quite a bit of storage space under it for cutting boards, waffle iron, etc.

The space above the sink is used for food, spices, cereal, coffee. Heavier canned foods we carry low in cabinets near the floor. This might not work for everyone but so far neither of us has a problem bending over to get stuff down there and I like carrying heavier stuff lower for weight distribution.
Attached Thumbnails
AEB2479B-980E-4832-ACE8-4AB55CEBFE4Fa.jpg   150B8332-0CEF-4FBB-9512-6858860622F9a.jpg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/im...attach/jpg.gif
Why use valuable cabinet space when you can do this.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:20 PM   #12

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
Do what? It looks like something went wrong in the attempt to attach an image.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:39 PM   #13

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
I'm not seeing the jpg. either. Don't know why, but I have to save photos from this forum to my computer using "save as" before I can transfer them elsewhere.

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 05:42 PM   #14

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Dishes storage

We do simple with our dishes and just stack them in the cabinet over the sink and stove. We bought Corelle years ago for its reputation for being extremely durable and have not been disappointed. We’ve bounced the dishes just as you see them down some extremely rough...trails...roads isn’t even an appropriate word...Jeep trails would be more apt, but have never had anything break, amazingly. Don’t know how many miles we’ve done this way but it’s considerable. I would never do it this way with normal dishes, however. Corelle is tough. And we got all of our camping set for about a buck apiece from Goodwill. That way every family member got to pick out their own personal plate and bowl. Did the same for silverware. Fun.

Name:	Adjustments.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	42201
Old 09-27-2019, 05:57 PM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I've considered dividers and sliding trays, but they all seem to take considerable space on their own. We just fill the cabinet. Plates are Corelle and glasses are acrylic. Paper plates help fill the gaps.
Attached Thumbnails
dish cupboard.jpg  
Old 09-27-2019, 07:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Custom sized cabinet storage dividers for upper and lower cabinets can be found on my web page. Uppers look like this:
I do like this idea but would fabricate something out of stainless steel as my new trailer will have a stainless steel theme to match the sink, stove top and range hood.
Old 09-27-2019, 07:51 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We do simple with our dishes and just stack them in the cabinet over the sink and stove. We bought Corelle years ago for its reputation for being extremely durable and have not been disappointed. We’ve bounced the dishes just as you see them down some extremely rough...trails...roads isn’t even an appropriate word...Jeep trails would be more apt, but have never had anything break, amazingly. Don’t know how many miles we’ve done this way but it’s considerable. I would never do it this way with normal dishes, however. Corelle is tough. And we got all of our camping set for about a buck apiece from Goodwill. That way every family member got to pick out their own personal plate and bowl. Did the same for silverware. Fun.

Attachment 42201
Corelle are excellent . Survived the kids when they were growing up at home . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
The trick is to stuff the cabinet so things can't move (much). My plates and bowls are in two stacks in the cabinet above the galley sink. Paper plates go on top of an assortment of Corelle and melamine plates, and a rubbermaid box of luncheon napkins on top of those. To the left of the plates & napkins are serving saver things that I don't need to use very often. To the right of the stack of plates & napkins, is the stack of bowls (of varying sizes). For travel, I stow my tabletop paper towel holder between the stacks of dishes, which helps firm things up. The back part of that cabinet (above the stove) holds a row of acrylic mugs, and a dishpan that corrals plastic cups (Mardi-gras freebies), and other smallish items. It's easy to remove the dishpan to access the acrylic champagne flutes and a tortilla warmer that take up the end of the over the stove part of that cabinet.

I probably carry more dishes than I need to, but part of the point is to keep the cabinet full...
Old 09-27-2019, 08:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
I'm not seeing the jpg. either. Don't know why, but I have to save photos from this forum to my computer using "save as" before I can transfer them elsewhere.
I'll try again tomorrow. Or you can try to find a relevant thread I posted entitled "17b Mods 1" posted 6/12/17.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2019, 08:20 PM   #20
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug2000 View Post
I do like this idea but would fabricate something out of stainless steel as my new trailer will have a stainless steel theme to match the sink, stove top and range hood.
Hummm, why? Not being snarky, but I don't usually leave the cupboard doors open. I thought a theme was things you normally see, not things hidden...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote