DIY Solar Installation Question - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2013, 08:02 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, any 19 without a storage box, and even a couple that do, have the batteries under the dinette seat, like mine....
Ahh - thanks Jim. I forgot that not all the Escapes have batteries easily accessible on the rear bumper like the 17Bs do.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 08:39 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Yep, any 19 without a storage box, and even a couple that do, have the batteries under the dinette seat, like mine.

I chatted via email with the sales manager for CEA because I was interested. They will ship to Canada for anyone interested, though will only do UPS, as they claim the package is to big to ship USPS. He was quite helpful though.

HERE is a link to the user manual.

He also sent me a PDF of the 10 Amp PWM Charge Controller they use, but it is a bit too big to upload. I could email it if anyone is interested.
About the 19 battery location: We recently ordered a 2013 19 and last week I checked with Tammy on the battery location as I'm thinking this solar portable vs installed thing over.
She said "The batteries are mounted either inside the storage box or just behind the propane tanks in front of the trailer if you do not have the storage box."

This is what I was hoping for, because I think it makes the use of a portable system less complicated...that is I don't have to worry about drilling holes in the trailer to get under the seat!
SeldomSeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 10:57 AM   #23

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeldomSeen View Post
About the 19 battery location: We recently ordered a 2013 19 and last week I checked with Tammy on the battery location as I'm thinking this solar portable vs installed thing over.
She said "The batteries are mounted either inside the storage box or just behind the propane tanks in front of the trailer if you do not have the storage box."

This is what I was hoping for, because I think it makes the use of a portable system less complicated...that is I don't have to worry about drilling holes in the trailer to get under the seat!
I don't really understand the practical advantage of portable solar panels used for a 19' Escape trailer. We have a 19' and are glad the solar panel is mounted on the roof. It is in a great location on top of the trailer and puts out a lot of charge power. We often leave the trailer site when we set up and wouldn't want to worry about someone taking it when we are gone. We also don't want to haul something large, fragile and expensive around while camping. I also like the batteries up front in my storage box. In fact I added two more batteries there and now have 460 amps at 12 volts of battery storage. There is still all the room I need in the box for my power cords, hoses, wheels chocks, etc. I plan to add another solar panel next month. This will give me an average of about 10 amps of charge rate which will top off those 4 batteries quickly. I also like the 30 amp Go-Power controller that was installed in the trailer which would handle up to 4 solar panels of you ever wanted that many.
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'm curious, why does one need 460 a/h at their disposal? Doesn't the existing single panel and dual batteries of 230 a/h give you enough for your daily needs? I calculate about 50 a/h of use over 24 hours using everything in the trailer including heat. So the next day around 10 am I'm full again.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:51 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'm curious, why does one need 460 a/h at their disposal? Doesn't the existing single panel and dual batteries of 230 a/h give you enough for your daily needs? I calculate about 50 a/h of use over 24 hours using everything in the trailer including heat. So the next day around 10 am I'm full again.
Jim,

It is a bit over the top but I calculated my worst-case daily draw at about 92 amps. My stereo alone pulls 2.5-3.5 amps depending on the volume. I like to run an electric grill off my 2000 watt inverter for breakfasts, a 400 watt blender for Margaritas, my coffee maker sometimes, an electric dehumidifier, extra lights, etc. I also want to have significant reserve while boon-docking if I run out of propane to run off the batteries. My goal is to be able to go out for a few weeks off the grid whenever I want to with no constraints. Also, I'm doing it because I can!...

Interstate Batteries literature gives guidance on how to extend battery life and states that if you don't take your charge level down below 12.45 volts you significantly increase the number of recharge cycles the batteries will support; 12.45 volts= 2200 cycles, 12.25 volts= 1000 cycles, 12.05 volts= 550 cycles, 11.90 volts= 250 cycles. As you can see the depth of the recharge cycle really affects battery life. This is another reason I added the extra capacity is to keep me normally above 12.45 volts.

....and how are you charged back by 10:00 when the panel you have puts out about 4.5 amps average and the sun has only been on the panel for about 4 hours maximum by then?? I figure the average charge back time is 6-8 hours for a whole day and the angle of the panel sitting horizontal measures 4.5 amps/hr average. . That would be 36 amps maximum charge back for a whole day. You must be using way less that 50ah per day.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
hotfishtacos said: "I don't really understand the practical advantage of portable solar panels used for a 19' Escape trailer. We have a 19' and are glad the solar panel is mounted on the roof. It is in a great location on top of the trailer and puts out a lot of charge power."

Spoken by someone who obviously lives in sunny California .

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:13 PM   #27

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I don't really understand the practical advantage of portable solar panels used for a 19' Escape trailer. We have a 19' and are glad the solar panel is mounted on the roof ........................

I tend to agree and I live in the rainy Fraser Valley and not sunny California. I've never run into a problem where I have low batteries with the solar panel on the roof and the really nice thing is that one never has to think about charging the batteries or pulling out the panels. Even over the winter sitting in the driveway the batteries are always topped up and ready to go.

I rarely camp in July and August, preferring the quieter shoulder seasons of spring and fall, so camping in the sun is where I like to be then!

If I find in the future that I want to camp in hotter climates and therefore in the shade I can always bring along a spare portable solar panel that could be hooked up IF I found that the permanent panel couldn't keep up at certain times. I would have to bring the panel out once in a while compared to all the time if it was only just a portable system.

I read of a woman that had her solar panel on the tug with the batteries as well and she plugged the trailer into that. She could park the tug in the sun and the trailer in the shade. An added bonus was that the vehicle charged the batteries as well if she went on a day trip without the trailer. I would imagine that their would have to be a battery in the trailer as well to keep the fridge running on propane but that would use very little juice for the odd time the batteries in the tug were not hooked up to the trailer ..... something to think about.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:23 PM   #28

SeldomSeen said: "This is what I was hoping for, because I think it makes the use of a portable system less complicated...that is I don't have to worry about drilling holes in the trailer to get under the seat! "

Your charge controller will then need to be mounted on the panels or somewhere outside if you don't want to drill any holes.

Doug
Old 02-24-2013, 01:37 PM   #29

In my case, I had no choice as to where to mount the panels. We already have our "panel-less" Escape 19 and I already have the panels and they are too large for the space available on the roof. Also, since I'm doing this myself, I would rather not fiddle around with drilling umpteen holes in the roof for mounting purposes. Having said that, however, if I were purchasing a new Escape today, having the factory mount the panels on the roof would definitely be something I would consider. There are pros and cons to both methods. It all depends on what you want from the system.

We have loads of room in our Tacoma for storage when the panels are not in use. The issue of theft when away from the camp site is definitely something to think about. Maybe put a sign on them that says "DANGER - 50,000 VOLTS". Most thieves are so stupid they would probably believe it .

Doug
Old 02-24-2013, 01:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post

"DANGER - 50,000 VOLTS". Most thieves are so stupid they would probably believe it .

Doug
Hasn't stopped them from stealing copper wire from lamp poles and transmission towers, sometimes with shocking results. But, nobody said they were smart.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:04 PM   #31

Trailer: ?
Quote:
I don't really understand the practical advantage of portable solar panels used for a 19' Escape trailer. We have a 19' and are glad the solar panel is mounted on the roof. It is in a great location on top of the trailer and puts out a lot of charge power. We often leave the trailer site when we set up and wouldn't want to worry about someone taking it when we are gone. We also don't want to haul something large, fragile and expensive around while camping. I also like the batteries up front in my storage box. In fact I added two more batteries there and now have 460 amps at 12 volts of battery storage. There is still all the room I need in the box for my power cords, hoses, wheels chocks, etc. I plan to add another solar panel next month. This will give me an average of about 10 amps of charge rate which will top off those 4 batteries quickly. I also like the 30 amp Go-Power controller that was installed in the trailer which would handle up to 4 solar panels of you ever wanted that many.
Just curious, have you checked the tongue weight with the 4 batteries in your storage box?
Eugene We is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:42 PM   #32

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
[QUOTE=hotfishtacos;22944]I don't really understand the practical advantage of portable solar panels used for a 19' Escape trailer.

There was a thread just in recent weeks in which people with portable panels explained why and how they used them. In addition to their comments, there are people who have their Escapes stored elsewhere in outside storage. Someone can come along and rip a panel off of the roof when no one is around. Of course, they might even be able to do that in residential areas but not as easily.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:24 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by NuthatchBC View Post
... I would rather not fiddle around with drilling umpteen holes in the roof for mounting purposes....
Doug
Doug,

Reece doesn't drill any holes in the roof for mounting the solar system. The mounting rails are glued on with a product made by Plexus. It melts into the gel coat. The only hole through is for a single pair of wires into the trailer. On top of the roof, solar panels are always daisy-chained to each other.

Steve
Old 02-24-2013, 04:27 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene We View Post
Just curious, have you checked the tongue weight with the 4 batteries in your storage box?
Yes, it is at 550 but I have some weight I can move behind the axles to take it down around 400-450 which is where I like it. BTW, the batteries are 68 lbs each!...so I got a pretty good upper body workout moving them around while making the new mountings...
Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 PM   #35

Trailer: Escape
Refrigerator Vent C-Box | Combiner Boxes
An alternative to drilling holes in the roof if you have a refrigerator vent.
Old 02-24-2013, 05:28 PM   #36

Since there are some questions regarding my batteries I have some pictures here of my battery setup. Notice that I have 4 six volt Interstate batteries for a total of 460 amps of reserve capacity. There are two 3 gauge wires connected to a 2000 watt inverter inside the trailer and I included a battery cutoff switch. I fabricated all of the 4 gauge battery cables at the various lengths I needed.

Steve
Old 02-24-2013, 05:29 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Refrigerator Vent C-Box | Combiner Boxes
An alternative to drilling holes in the roof if you have a refrigerator vent.
Great idea!
Old 02-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I don't really understand the practical advantage of portable solar panels used for a 19' Escape trailer.
Hmmm.....I thought it was explained already, it has been discussed quite a bit here and on the FGRV site, but will give it a shot. For me, I rarely will need to top up my batteries, as we tend to err towards minimization. No electric grills, coffee pots, or anything. Just lights, pump and furnace. A bit of charging of devices and playing the stereo.

Some of my reasons for going portable.
- Any boondocking trips of 4 nights or less, it would not even be needed, or brought along. My dual batteries have plenty of capacity for this length of time in cold weather.
- The 40W panel is not that big to store when needed, and there are lots of nice bigger sets that fold up and are well protected. Set up is just minutes. I too have a lot of room left over in my tow to carry a panel or two.
- The panel can be positioned more easily for maximum performance.
- It can be lent out to someone else going out, or someone in need where you are camping. I know some of the tent trailers my brothers and friends have, with only one battery, run the furnace a fair bit, and are always needed to top up their batteries.
- It can be used for charging any battery, not even those for trailers.
- Cheaper and easier to initially set up.
- Plus, I am sure I could come up with a bunch of other reasons if pressed, and am certain others have their own reasons other than these as well.

I hope this has helped you better understand why I like the idea of a portable panel. We all have our own reasons for doing what works best for ourselves. Many say they could not function without the front storage box, while I personally see no reason for it, as without it I still have hordes of storage space unused. Again, personal choice.

I do however understand why some people want the permanent mounts, and some day may do the same myself. but for now the portable setup better suits my needs.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:18 PM   #39

Jim

We each have our opinions and after reading your reasons for going portable I am now even more convinced that the truly "practical" approach is to go with a permanently mounted option.

....and I'll bet my canoe is faster than yours!...
Old 02-25-2013, 05:37 PM   #40

Trailer: Escape 5.0 SA
I opted for portability/cost/simplicity. We generally try to camp plugged to shore power with the need for air conditioning down here. I only have the single 12 volt factory battery to reduce weight. When we boondock for more than a couple of days, I can bring the Honda or the 50 watt solar panel.

I used a 30 amp marine receptical and SunSaver controller.

I might add that solar panels slowly degrade in time and a few years down the road will need to be replaced.
Attached Thumbnails
Solar Panel Install 001.JPG   Solar Panel Install 004.JPG   Solar Panel Install 005.JPG   Solar Panel Install 007.JPG  
daveandsandyclink is offline   Reply With Quote