Do we need or want more gizmos for our trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-05-2015, 08:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Escape
Do we need or want more gizmos for our trailer

There is a difference between need and want !
Old 04-05-2015, 08:23 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Want? yes. Need, no. I thought we were supposed to be sort of minimalists with these little trailers. 3 coffee makers, 2 or 3 choices of chairs, 2 televisions, toaster, crock pot, 3 stoves, dehumidifier, 2 heaters, yup, we're minimalist.
Old 04-05-2015, 09:39 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Distinguishing between wants and needs is rather artificial. We don't "need" any of this stuff. It's all about being able to do things we enjoy doing. "Want" is good enough.

And "minimalist" isn't quite the right word. If we were minimalists, we'd be sleeping on the ground. Rather, it's about precision in fullfilling our wants. Be clear on what you'll use and focus your money and effort in that direction, rather than buying lots of "stuff".

So "wants" are fine, as long as the reason for the desire is a positive one. If you want something -- because you'll use it, you'll enjoy it, it'll enhance your experience -- then great! Go for it. If you want something because the advertising has grabbed you by your striatum and led you around, then maybe you need to think about it a little more.

And, of course, YMMV... Some people enjoy fussing about with gizmos and dodads, while others don't. The burden of possessions is higher for some people than for others. Know yourself, know what you value and enjoy, know how to fullfill your desires, and spend your time and money appropriately.

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 11:10 AM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find I don't want more stuff that I have to find space for, that comes with a manual that I have to read, that I have to learn how to use and that I have to re charge.
Old 04-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbailey View Post
The burden of possessions is higher for some people than for others.
No kidding, my inside storage room is overflowing with stuff as is my large garden storage shed, my wood shed and my motorcycle garage, not to mention the garage itself But is's all stuff that I'll find a use for someday

Friends that live on a boat have it simpler. No new object comes on the boat unless one leaves.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 12:19 PM   #6

I forgot to mention the small parts that break or go missing.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:42 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Good post.

We picked up our 17b late in the season last year. And went on a 11 day run. The months preceding getting the trailer were spent worrying about the build sheet and picking up other items we considered essential.

Here At the start of our first full year of trailering (during my vacation times and the odd wknd) we find ourselves still accumulating - ordering outside mat coupler lock. A few days ago we were looking into those sleeping bags (I forget what they are called) that people rave about.... And I want a new camera .... It seems the gizmo list of want/need can get pretty long. We do want to become somewhat minimalistic ... But don't want to be inconvenienced

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 05:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
Larry and Liz---we also have a 17B and picked up a travasak from Camping World last year---makes us putting the bed up and down MUCH easier--so we now have a big table and use the front table down as a couch--did a 2 weektrip like that in the fall and found it great.
I sewed a pillow slip onto the bottom edge of the travasak and it stays tucked in just fine--does not move all around and feel uncomfortable like I found sleeping bags to be..
Old 04-05-2015, 06:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
The most telling difference in how our "wants" exceed our "needs" is the size and growth of private storage facilities across the landscape. IMHO, it's a pretty embarrassing commentary on our society as a whole. But I have to admit, I'm a participant; we store our 19' at such a facility .
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 06:34 PM   #10
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Hmm, I had a dog named Gizmo due to her big wide ears...........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:49 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
...that comes with a manual that I have to read...
When I was in the IT business I was frequently told to read the fine manual. Well, that's sorta what they said.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:54 PM   #12

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
The most telling difference in how our "wants" exceed our "needs" is the size and growth of private storage facilities across the landscape. IMHO, it's a pretty embarrassing commentary on our society as a whole. But I have to admit, I'm a participant; we store our 19' at such a facility .
Sometimes this collection of stuff is a sign of something else, though. I'm sure many if not most of us had parents who grew up during the Great Depression. As a result of that experience my mom in particular saved every little thing, a habit ingrained during that time.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 07:59 PM   #13

I bought a pair of sunglasses once that came with a 28 page manual. The frame was made of some sort of rubbery plastic and they came with interchangeable lenses.
I had a digital watch that was smaller than the manual.
Bought a cooler and read the manual. I learned that you should NOT drain the water from the cooler while it's in use. The water is almost ice and you are just draining away cold. Who knew?
Old 04-05-2015, 08:00 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
All you folks with cell phones, it wasn't all that long ago that was a "gizmo." Can you live without it now? Maybe the gizmo you really want is ahead of the curve.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:07 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 21ft Escape "Spirit of the Plains", 2014 GMC Sierra with max tow package
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
All you folks with cell phones, it wasn't all that long ago that was a "gizmo." Can you live without it now? Maybe the gizmo you really want is ahead of the curve.
And when they first came out you could even buy a "fake" cell phone so you would look like you were with the program. Loren
Loren & Cathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 09:56 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
I don't even mind the manuals -- but too many things I buy these days have the manual only on line -- and THAT is a pain. I spent my teenage years telling my mother that as an adult I would not be a slave to my material possessions and now I have two houses filled with possessions and a trailer. And a husband who can't bear to let anything go. But we both love the trailer with the bare minimum. Last summer I took very few clothes for our two month trip and ended up thinking I'd brought too much. After spending two months in the trailer, the houses seemed ridiculous with duplicates of things we really didn't need.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 11:56 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I read a great article when we were preparing for our first trip in our 19'. It said that as you load up your trailer, put a small piece of painters tape on each item. Then, as you use each item, take off the piece of tape and throw it away. When your trip is over, see how many items still had tape on them. Easy way to differentiate "needs" from "wants."
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
I read a great article when we were preparing for our first trip in our 19'. It said that as you load up your trailer, put a small piece of painters tape on each item. Then, as you use each item, take off the piece of tape and throw it away. When your trip is over, see how many items still had tape on them. Easy way to differentiate "needs" from "wants."
Wouldn't work for me. I'd end up with a ton of tape marked pieces. I "want" to have spare parts etc. in case I "need" them.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 01:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We don't use the tape trick, but every year we go through things, and if it never got used in the last year, we critically decide whether it stays or goes. We are both good at purging if needed.

What it comes down to, is you really don't need very much gear to have a great camping experience. For instance, nobody really remembers how a meal was cooked, but the sure might remember where they ate it. The experience is more about what you do, and has much less to do with the items you bring. This even includes our Escape trailers. They are just a piece of equipment that brings with it varying conveniences. None of these things are necessary, but they sure do add to comfort and efficiency.

I could jump in a canoe, or tent camp out of my trunk, bring nothing from my trailer (other than my coffee maker, I gotsta have that), and have an experience that will bring great memories for the rest of my life.

It also comes down to the individuals comfort level, something that is different for every one of us. For instance, I am comfortable cooking with just a stove and BBQ, with the odd meal cooked on the fire. I could eat a dozen lifetimes of great, easy meals cooked on these appliances. For others, it could be cooking more like they do at home to enjoy things.

Just look at how many could not do without the storage box on the tongue. We still have lots of storage space left without it, and don't feel shorted at all. This attitude might change once we retire, and spend way more time on the road.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2015, 05:10 PM   #20

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I have to admit I have a "Gismo" addiction. It was a major part of my job before retiring designing electronic solutions to theatrical problems, props, and effects. That said, I can live without any of them, but one of the advantages of a trailer over my previous tent camping is I can haul them along.

My other problem is I can't stand not to have the tools & parts to fix anything. I carry far too many spare parts & tools than necessary, many of which I have never had to use, but if I needed them, the idea of not having them just isn't acceptable. I only have 3 tool boxes & three parts bins...