Dog barriers for training in a 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-06-2015, 08:16 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Dog barriers for training in a 21

We're taking 2 new young woofers on their first camping session this weekend in our 21; goal is to confine them to the rear of the trailer while we sleep or are absent. Decided to make a somewhat flexible barrier out of 1/16th inch ABS plastic (which we can use for shade over their pen while outside) and take advantage of corners in the 21 formed by the nightstand drawer and a towel bar on the sink cabinet. Very light weight, packs easy in the bed of our Taco. Added smooth extrusions on the ends to protect the Escape woodwork, finished guard is curved toward the dog area so if they jump against it, the guard should stay in place. 3 ft tall.
Attached Thumbnails
dogs3.jpg   dogs2.jpg   dogs1.jpg  

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2015, 08:22 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I think you will have better results with a portable soft kennel. They have soft sided ones that fold up, I travel with my dogs contained in them. If I leave I put them in the kennel inside the trailer. Kennel training young dogs helps them learn boundaries as well as keeps them out of trouble. Here is one I use http://www.amazon.com/Go-Pet-Club-Cr...ft+dog+kennels
Old 06-06-2015, 09:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Kennel training young dogs helps them learn boundaries as well as keeps them out of trouble.
This just happened to remind me: Years ago, when I was home from college, on the farm, I looked out the window of my parents' house to see my father driving very slowly down our country road with a litter of half-grown bird dog puppies in the bed of his truck. He was going about 5 mph as the dogs scrambled around in the truck bed. This was a 4WD truck with big tires, so it was high off the ground. Every now and then a dog would fall out and hit the pavement, BAM! "Yelp yelp yelp!" He would stop, put the young dog back into the truck bed, then continue. A few yards up the road it would happen again. And again. He reached the end of the road and came back, doing the same thing.

When he got to the house I had to ask, "What in the world are you doing?!"

He replied, "Teaching my dogs not to fall out of the truck."
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When we got Ben I insisted on training him to use a dog cage I bought, which we kept in the bedroom. Others have told me these things become "dens" where the animal knows he is always safe. After our previous dog Jenny, an extremely precocious black Lab, I just didn't want any more dogs sleeping with us on the bed.

The cage "den" thing lasted two days.
Attached Thumbnails
Jenny01.jpg  
Old 06-07-2015, 11:47 AM   #5

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The cage "den" thing lasted two days.
I'm assuming he now sleeps on the bed. Which, according to him, is his rightful place of rest.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 12:47 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
It's all about the training. We used a pen when our dogs were young, but with 3 dogs well trained to stay down and past the chewing phase, when they stay in the camper I figured the first few times out a barrier would be sufficient until they learn the ropes. They're small dogs and won't clear a 3 ft tall slick piece of plastic. Plus, for me the cost is zero as I use it in my business. 3 pens would be expensive for a short time use. Once trained, I've never had a problem with dogs and camping in 30 years. We do use a collapsible wire fence when at the campground unless we're all relaxing - then they're all on tie outs with a central pivot point so they don't get their wires crossed. Inside they each have their own small bed that's their "comfort zone" which all fit under the table at night.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 01:01 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp 16, TV Rav4 V6
My dogs sleeps where she wants, if we don`t like it , we can leave and thats the way it is.
(Miss Ginger) one still crazy puppy at 9 years old. Carl
civi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2015, 02:57 PM   #8

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Ummm...I'll give them 2 minutes to figure that one out!

I agree with the soft sided crates....they fold down and take NO space to store.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote