Dog House in a 21' Escape? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2015, 08:21 AM   #1

Trailer: 2006 Casita/2016 Escape
Question Dog House in a 21' Escape?

We carry a dog crate in our Casita for our Australian Shepherd.
Can you imagine?
I've ordered a 21' Escape with a delivery date in early 2016.
I want it to include a "dog house". (not for me - for the dog)
Do you know anyone who has done this?

My thoughts are to request the bed platform be built with an extra 8" of height and a standard cabinet door for access. There’s plenty of unused floor space under the bed. I can add interior walls, bedding and some extra vents that might also serve as "windows". I'd appreciate your feedback. Any unforeseen problems from raising the height of the bed, etc.?

Thanks, Kenny
Kenny L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Sounds good to me. No worries with the head space as far as I know.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 02:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
I imagine it would work fine, but I'd think you'd want a wire door instead of cabinet door, and several vents, so that the air temperature in the "crate" stays close to the temperature in the rest of the trailer. It might also be possible to divide that space, either at the factory or at home after, so that the dog gets half and you get half for storage, or whatever made sense. It's a pretty huge area!
Old 05-28-2015, 02:55 PM   #4

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny L;94647[COLOR=black
My thoughts are to request the bed platform be built with an extra 8" of height and a standard cabinet door for access.[/COLOR]
You might want to find out how high the bed is normally and then mock something up that's the appropriate height. See if it fits for the dog. And that you can still get in and out of the bed. You might need to consider some sort of step for the bed, depending on your mobility.

And find out how close this will get the bed to the windows. Will it interfer with the usage of the blinds?

Another thought - will the dog thrash around enough that it'll keep you guys awake at night?

Could you put some sort of crate in the foot area of the dinette (if it's not set up as a bed)? Order it without the table so the pedestal feet aren't in the way. Or get recessed ones (not sure if ETI will install or you do it later) that won't block the crate access.

I'm addicted to the show "Tiny House Nation" and one episode had them putting a dog crate area under the mobile table unit. I thought that was a pretty nifty idea.
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 03:15 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
There is a LOT of stuff under our 21 bed for a dog to damage - water lines, water heater, AC and DC wiring, plus the framing is pieced together in such a way that it would be hard to add protective walls for the camper system parts. The black tank and drain pipe also occupy a lot of that floor space under the bed. I thought about doing the same with our small dogs but decided too risky.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
A 21 is a lot wider than a Casita. Our Lab just flops out in the middle of the floor. You can actually walk around her.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
21', dog, modification