Door Window Mod. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-30-2020, 10:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Door Window Mod.

Like most folks just biding my time waiting until things open up and I can head North to do a little fishing.

I never expect that I'll ever find perfection in anything that I buy. So when we decided to switch to a 21 it was primarily because of wanting the larger kitchen area and not having a bathroom door that opens right where the person cooking stands. We use our kitchen probably much more than some, we never cook outside etc. That and the larger new style fridge and the decision was a done deal.

Any other stuff, like the never ending discussion on whether "scooting" or "crawl over" is best were moot points. So when I noticed a couple of things about the door window that I didn't like it wasn't a deal killer. One, it's frameless. I hate the look of frameless windows, looks unfinished to me. Secondly the obscure pattern doesn't match the nearby obscure bathroom window.

Never dawned on me that the obscure part of the door window was only a vinyl sheet. When I saw the thread about the door window film wrinkling and realized that it was vinyl it stayed on the window for about another 5 minutes.

Nice to have a window that you can see out. Since it's only single glazed and my front window double glazing mod was a resounding success, if I don't say so myself, I decided to double glaze the door window. I used the same lexan as for the front window, held in using clips that use the existing screws.

While technically not a true double glazed window, more an interior storm window, but it acts as a double glazed window. I expected to have to periodically remove my front unit and dry off interior condensation but that proved to be completely unnecessary.

Not too much space for a window blind between the window and the screen door but room enough for a curtain that might be put up some nights depending on location. So a couple of hooks and a bendy "curtain rod" that's really a coil spring that allows the curtain to stow in a nearby cubbie.

I wonder, if I hadn't seen that post, how long I'd have gone on disliking that obscure window film before I discovered for myself that it was easily removable.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
08-04-2020 12-01-38 PM_0002_resize.JPG   08-04-2020 7-38-36 PM_0003_resize.JPG   24-04-2020 3-39-20 PM_0002_resize.jpg   24-04-2020 3-40-50 PM_0005_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 12:00 AM   #2

Trailer: 17 ft casita sd
Good to know! We haven't picked ours up yet so we r ahead. Thz
Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 01:21 AM   #3

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 06:08 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Ron......Nice job with the second window panel!
I noticed you are using the exact same clips to hold your curtain that I use. Having a “classic” Escape, the “airplane” door window glass is different from what is used in the new flat door. I have a second set of hooks on the inside of my trailer’s wardrobe door where I hang the curtain when it is not being used, which is most of the time. While it doesn’t bother me, the wife is sensitive to light shining in during sleeping hours. While I respect her “preferences,” I don’t think I will ever understand how light can be bothersome when sleeping with one’s eyes closed. The not-permanently-mounted curtain works well, however.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 AM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Interesting on the glass, back in 2012 I contacted Escape about all the extra insulation and double paned windows but the door and it's window was the weak spot. He agreed and said he was going to start insulating the door and use double glass. While this was in the 1st G model, I assumed it rolled over to the 2ndG models, I guess that was my mistake. But with that said, it was very easy to make a storm door out of the screen door. That should help....I hope.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1500.jpg  
Old 05-01-2020, 07:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 17 ft casita sd
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Ron...While it doesn’t bother me, the wife is sensitive to light shining in during sleeping hours. While I respect her “preferences,” I don’t think I will ever understand how light can be bothersome when sleeping with one’s eyes closed. The not-permanently-mounted curtain works well, however.
Ahh but light leaks through, I have to put tape over or unplug 12v chargers that have a light on them, to sleep well.
Rozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 07:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
No night lights required.

Hi: C&G in FL... I guess I have thin eyelids too!!! In the "House of blue lights" I like sleeping in the loft above all others.
My mother used to say to me "You make a better door than a window". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:34 AM   #8

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My plan was to do the almost exact mod. However I was going to attach the new layer permanently using all the screws backed by washers.

I had hoped that this extra layer would also help in preventing someone from breaking the glass and easily unlocking the door from the inside.

Ron, do you see a problem in my plan?

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Like most folks just biding my time waiting until things open up and I can head North to do a little fishing.

I never expect that I'll ever find perfection in anything that I buy. So when we decided to switch to a 21 it was primarily because of wanting the larger kitchen area and not having a bathroom door that opens right where the person cooking stands. We use our kitchen probably much more than some, we never cook outside etc. That and the larger new style fridge and the decision was a done deal.

Any other stuff, like the never ending discussion on whether "scooting" or "crawl over" is best were moot points. So when I noticed a couple of things about the door window that I didn't like it wasn't a deal killer. One, it's frameless. I hate the look of frameless windows, looks unfinished to me. Secondly the obscure pattern doesn't match the nearby obscure bathroom window.

Never dawned on me that the obscure part of the door window was only a vinyl sheet. When I saw the thread about the door window film wrinkling and realized that it was vinyl it stayed on the window for about another 5 minutes.

Nice to have a window that you can see out. Since it's only single glazed and my front window double glazing mod was a resounding success, if I don't say so myself, I decided to double glaze the door window. I used the same lexan as for the front window, held in using clips that use the existing screws.

While technically not a true double glazed window, more an interior storm window, but it acts as a double glazed window. I expected to have to periodically remove my front unit and dry off interior condensation but that proved to be completely unnecessary.

Not too much space for a window blind between the window and the screen door but room enough for a curtain that might be put up some nights depending on location. So a couple of hooks and a bendy "curtain rod" that's really a coil spring that allows the curtain to stow in a nearby cubbie.

I wonder, if I hadn't seen that post, how long I'd have gone on disliking that obscure window film before I discovered for myself that it was easily removable.

Ron
Hi Ron ! So good to see you posting again ! Well the planned trip got nixed as you know .maybe some other time
Pretty neat mod as your bed window !
You made our morning ! Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 11:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
My plan was to do the almost exact mod. However I was going to attach the new layer permanently using all the screws backed by washers.

I had hoped that this extra layer would also help in preventing someone from breaking the glass and easily unlocking the door from the inside.

Ron, do you see a problem in my plan?
My rational for making it quick and easy to remove was based on the fact that it's not a sealed unit and some condensation may form and have to wiped off. However, my front window mod., which is just above our heads and subject moisture from our breath just below, hasn't been an issue. So using more screws for extra security shouldn't be an issue.

Not visible very well in my photo but my lexan is cut to fit in a slight recess. About 1/2 the thickness of the lexan is "in the hole". Clearance to the screen is close but I have just over a 1/4" clearance so surface mounted lexan plus washer and screw head would come closer to the screen but you should just make it.

I had to tweak the hooks a tiny amount so that they didn't contact the screen.

Ron
Old 05-01-2020, 12:00 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Hi Ron ! So good to see you posting again ! Well the planned trip got nixed as you know .maybe some other time
Pretty neat mod as your bed window !
You made our morning ! Pat and Linda
Thanks Pat, kind words are a great way to start the day.

I've been working gang busters on my house doing "deferred maintenance" , hate being in limbo but it's been a good time to get all the stuff done that needed doing.

Ron
Old 05-01-2020, 12:04 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Ron, I am going to follow your lead and take the frosting off. My curtain is similar, but two layers...a layer of blackout curtain, and a layer of the fabric of my valences. They can be connected by Velcro so the “rod” only goes through the blackout. ANd I used similar command hooks but bent the wire part slightly so as not to interfere with the screen. It does blow off on occasion...I am working on that. It’ll stay there most of the time, and after removing the frosting, I can easily lift it up to see who’s at the door.
Old 05-01-2020, 02:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Thanks Ron...I did notice yours was nicely recessed in the frame.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 02:43 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Thanks Pat, kind words are a great way to start the day.

I've been working gang busters on my house doing "deferred maintenance" , hate being in limbo but it's been a good time to get all the stuff done that needed doing.

Ron
Hear you on that Ron , same here . It ‘s got to go back to some normalcy eventually . Both of you take care and be safe ! Pat and Linda
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2020, 09:28 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
A while back I decided to double pane the front window and door window on our 17b, except I used 3M VHB # 5962 tape to adhere the plexiglass panes to the window pane frames. If I recall correctly the 5962 is a bit thicker than some VHB tape and has a high temperature tolerance. The seal has been airtight and the panes have stayed put for a couple of years of temperature changes and coast to coast travel. It definitely contributes to a warmer trailer when winter camping.
MimStan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:17 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 E19
It might be "winter", but I'm not frosted anymore!

Peeled off the frosted vinyl from the entry door window today.

Wonderful! Much better.

Cut a piece of white foam to fit in the window frame for the meanwhile, pops in and out easy.

Something else will take its place when the Mrs. gets done with it.
7Gentex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 05:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7Gentex View Post

Wonderful! Much better.
Yes, isn't it nice to have a window that you can actually see out of.

Ron