Drying Rack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2020, 05:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Drying Rack

Just finished another addition that will help with our use of trailer while carrying on an active lifestyle while on the road. Since we are serious bikers, hikers, etc. we generate a lot of clothing and towels that we would like to dry. Most campgrounds ask that drying lines not be strung out and usually you want to discretely dry some things out of neighbours view.

Came up with an idea to mount on trailer without any fasteners, brackets and easy to store. Looks like an accordion.
Attached Thumbnails
1-1.jpeg   1.jpeg  
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 05:23 PM   #2
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Okay ... I'm stumped. Is it something you made, or bought?
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 06:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
When I had an Aliner, I had a similar setup, although it had bumper mounted bases and square tubing which I had drilled to accept clothes line. It worked great 100% of the time but.......it seemed like 90% of the time when clothing was almost dry the rain would come and we were back to square 1.
We now hang our wet stuff under the sleeping loft of our 5.0 TA, where it is protected from rain.
Old 08-04-2020, 07:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Okay ... I'm stumped. Is it something you made, or bought?
Accordian drying rack is made by Greenway and I got it online from Home Depot. I mounted it on a vinyl wrapped piece of plywood. Wrapping plywood protects the wheel cover from scraping. Added loops at upper corners and used a snap on adjustable strap from luggage. Strap adjusts so it goes over top of tire and as it slides down back with diameter of tire increasing it stops to hold in place.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 07:50 PM   #5

Trailer: 2019
That's pretty cool!

We have always hung a line for drying. Never knew it was frowned upon? Maybe an American thing?
Old 08-04-2020, 08:40 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Clever idea! We have a folding drying rack, but unless we anchor it to something, the wind blows it over. This is much better.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 10:58 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGen View Post
That's pretty cool!

We have always hung a line for drying. Never knew it was frowned upon? Maybe an American thing?
Nope, not just an American thing. While some private campgrounds may restrict any kind of hanging laundry out many parks have a restriction on tying lines to trees.

We have a free standing pole and haven't ever been told we had to take our laundry in.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
P2020078_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 10:00 AM   #8

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckBC View Post
Just finished another addition that will help with our use of trailer while carrying on an active lifestyle while on the road. Since we are serious bikers, hikers, etc. we generate a lot of clothing and towels that we would like to dry.
Last week I rode a little over 150 miles and will be riding another 40 this afternoon. We use the trike rack on the back of the camper and the bikes that we store in the back for our drying needs. Our bike chains are clean and dry (we use Boeshield and wipe after every ride) so no chain tattoo. If you belong to the "Church of Chain Lube" don't use your bike for a clothes line.

Besides people would have to have pretty good eyesight to see Terry's g-string underwear! So no real need to hide our skivvies. At our age we have no pride!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 08-23-2020, 11:32 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Nope, not just an American thing. While some private campgrounds may restrict any kind of hanging laundry out many parks have a restriction on tying lines to trees.

We have a free standing pole and haven't ever been told we had to take our laundry in.

Ron
I've been camping all my life and never been told not to hang a clothesline. Strange.
Old 08-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarGen View Post
I've been camping all my life and never been told not to hang a clothesline. Strange.
Neither have I, but I have seen prohibitions against tying clotheslines to trees. And although I personally wouldn’t stay in one of the “our **** doesn’t stink” resort type “campgrounds,” I have read accounts of restrictions on any outside clothes drying apparatus.
Old 08-24-2020, 08:18 AM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve seen and stayed in less than 5 private campgrounds prohibiting clotheslines but they do exist from my experience. Prohibition tying off to trees is a little more common. I’ve asked about it a few times and been give permission as long as nothing is driven or screwed into the
tree. Once in a while there will be a couple trees with a screw hook or screw eye or large bent over nail already present. If they are rusty I don’t hesitate to use them because it’s apparent that I did not install them. If they are fresh I point them out to a ranger or camp host and have been give permission. Other times the official removes them on the spot. Having been a municipal arborist for 8 years in my varied careers, I suppose I am a little more cognizant of tree abuse and overall condition than some. Hanging hammocks is another issue in some areas, especially on thin barked trees.
Iowa Dave
Old 08-24-2020, 11:35 AM   #12

Yes, I do recognize that it must sometimes be prohibited and that my experience is just mine alone. I just don't find it common as a few people have implied. Of note, I rarely stay in private campgrounds of the type that would be more likely to have such rules.